Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Cody Ballard (Read 4563 times)
sass2924

Cody Ballard
Nov 14th, 2018 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Did anyone ever get an original Remington Rolling Block that was redone and refinished by Cody Ballard?  I have one that the person said he bought it from them at the Tulsa Show 30 or so years ago. He also bought a box of BP ammo at the same time with their label. There are no maker markings on the receiver or barrel. Just wondering if it is a gun they actually rebuilt.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Cody Ballard
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
This was discussed over on the Shiloh Rifle forum a few weeks ago. The general consensus was that they built several on new castings but the castings were a problem and the project was dropped. They may have done a few on original actions also as they did custom work along with the Ballards and High Walls.

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Could easy be an original military that was reworked or a sporter that was restored. We did a lot of that, stuff the customer owned and we reworked it as they wanted. As Neil used to say, "the customer is almost right". If Ballard put a new barrel on it will almost always will have a letter stamped under the fore-arm indicating manufacturer of the barrel ie; D= Douglas,B= Badger, K= Krieger, 7C= Ballard in house. 
  If it is an "in house" manufactured rolling block rifle it will have Ballard company logo and a serial number in accordance with US law. There were some where up to about 20 of these made. Receivers came from an Ok. company with an affiliation to the owner at the time. Trigger guards, hammers, blocks, were castings, some from Dave Higginbottom and some from I think, Rodney Storey. I did the machine work on the castings and made a lot of other small parts, screws, pins, rear barrel sights, forend lugs. etc. I remember getting quite mad because we had no reference gun to get screw location, dovetail data and all that misc. stuff. I went down town one lunch break and spent $1500 on an original sporter to use as reference. it wasn't in the shape to be worth that much but as I say, I was mad about no progress being made and happy to get something to work with. It was our culture there to make rifles that original parts would interchange with. Still have that sporter, someday I'll reline the thing and maybe shoot a deer with it.

my $.02,
Dennis

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Dennis,
Did those same barrel codes get used on Ballard rifles built at Cody also? Or was this only for customer builds?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Hi Val,
Those codes should be on all new barrels installed, whether re-works or new production. There may have been a few by other manufacturers as well. I'm sure on some the maker code was left off, but it would be very few during the period I was there, 2000-2005 the policy was to put a maker code on barrels. Applicable serial numbers should be on nearly all as well. Serial numbers on major parts in addition to the receiver were to prevent confusion when the components were routed to final assembly.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
I just pulled the forearm off my Cody highwall and it has B for Badger and the serial number W119.  Beautiful rifle and it has my favorite type of case coloring.  I've been trying to find out who did the case coloring.  Do you know who did case coloring back around 2001-2?

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
I am almost sure it was Keith Kilby, but I am sure someone here will know the answer for sure.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Cody turned out some of the most beautiful and high quality single shots I have seen and they all shot just as good as they looked and all of those various talents being located in the same place will probably never be again. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
kootne wrote on Nov 15th, 2018 at 5:24pm:
Hi Val,
Those codes should be on all new barrels installed, whether re-works or new production. There may have been a few by other manufacturers as well. I'm sure on some the maker code was left off, but it would be very few during the period I was there, 2000-2005 the policy was to put a maker code on barrels. Applicable serial numbers should be on nearly all as well. Serial numbers on major parts in addition to the receiver were to prevent confusion when the components were routed to final assembly.

My Cody Ballard is a Schoyen model with a extra heavy #4 or #5 weight full round barrel in .22LR, match chamber. It has the serial number C69x to match the action, but unfortunately no maker's letter code? I was told it's likely a Badger barrel, but unsure. 
Was there one particular supplier of .22 rimfire barrels that they used during the time period you were there? I believe my gun was picked up in 2000 or 2001?

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Ron Long could, and has done it all, if he chose to, he still can.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
There were several guys at Cody who had the talent to do anything gun related. As JLouis mentioned, the list of gunsmiths all there at one time was a who's who of talent!

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
There is a photograph of a Ballard schuetzen rifle that Ron built  in the custom rifle chapter, in John Dutcher's book on the Ballard rifle. I believe the receiver was an original Ballard, but all else was done by Ron, although he is quite capable of making the receiver from scratch. I have seen a number of others, and they are exact copies of  an original. One was a beautiful copy of a Zischang Sharps Borchardt, that Ron built in it's entirety, to include the double set triggers, sights, stocks, checkering, case color, barrel, etc. A wonderful talent.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

sass2924

Reply #12 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
No barrel code under the hand guard of the Rolling Block I was asking about. I’ll take the stock off to see if there is anything there.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Kootne what part did you play I can't help but feel you have not been given enough credit for your own talents that were provided to the group while having thier names possibly abit more well known during that time.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Old Win, hardening almost certainly done Keith, He came about the time we started high walls.

Val, your time frame seems right compared to a receipt for a rifle I have, ordered May 2001, #C825. Badger barrels in that time frame were pretty much standard in all calibers unless something else was specified. Each rifle had a pretty extensive order sheet with all the build details on it but not being an office guy I'm not sure a copy was returned to the customer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint