Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My favorite day (Read 15379 times)
ron
Oldtimer

Re: My favorite day
Reply #15 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
I guess that you will be getting into the sauna soon to ease the old bones. Enjoy it.

ron

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Great job!  I guess that deer didn't know you can't kill with a 32-20.  Tom Grin

Twitter  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Congratulations SBoomer! Nicely done, with a fine old rifle!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Well done Boomer, that's quite an achievement with a .32/20. How long did you have to sit & wait for that boy to come along? 
One of my goals is to take a local Fallow with a Low wall in .38/40.
Spud

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Eight days to get one in a perfectly relaxed broadside position. None of my hunting buddys heard the shot, which I thought was funny. Saw plenty of smaller bucks. We had perfect conditions for my annual(normally Turkey day) all-day still hunt yesterday. The GPS said 5.8 miles......this morning my bones say 20 miles. I got within 20 yards of bedded doe's three times in the thick cedars before the shifting winds ruined the remainder of the hunt. Saving my last tag for late muzzleloading season. Much to the horror of some....I launch a patched round ball with the 45cal Seneca that I bought new when I was 16. I've been told by many that I need at least a 50cal sabot with 100 gr of powder for whitetail.  I just smile. Wink

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 11:49am
Print Post  
SBoomer wrote on Nov 25th, 2018 at 10:11am:
I've been told by many that I need at least a 50cal sabot with 100 gr of powder for whitetail.  I just smile. Wink

Definitely way more "gun" than really needed. I shot a bunch of corn-fed whitetails with a 54 cal Renegade and MaxiBalls over 90 gr powder -- killed just as well as my usual 7X57 with wimpy original loads. Had intended to do an elk with that 54 but took the 7X57 instead, with same one-shot, one kill results. Afterward the outfitter told me how his parents used a single shot Win 1894 (broken cartridge lifter, never repaired) for 50+ years to kill deer, elk and black bears, also grizzly now and then. A 20 round box of ammo lasted a few years, typical for that part of Montana. But, the kids went "over-kill" and bought 30-06s and put Pappa's 30-30 over the fireplace.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Many moons ago I received a TC Hawken in 50 caliber as a Christmas present.  I could not believe the accuracy that I got with a patched round ball.  The next year I started hunting blacktail deer with it and believing all I read shot lead conicals as a patched round ball was considered useless.  After taking 5 or 6 deer with the conicals I decided I best try a round ball.  By then my arsenal had grown and included a 58 cal Zouave that really shot the round ball accurate.  I headed for the hills and snuck up on a small buck and one shot at about 90 yards and I saw how deadly a round ball is!  Now I can't use lead as it will kill me to eat a deer shot with a lead projectile and kill two or three condors in the process.  I swore I would never have an inline muzzleloaded but none of my percussion rifles would hit a barn door with the non-lead saboted bullets so I bought one.  I took one deer with it and then kinda gave up on hunting with a muzzleloader as the area I hunted became to hard for me to pack a deer out of when I got artificial hips.  I have to admire a man who waits for the proper condition to take his deer be it with a 32-20 or a 45 caliber round ball.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Started out with a Win. 25-20 and when old enough to take the increased recoil moved up to a Win. 30-30. Then to a 25-06, a 270 and then back down to the Rem. 6MM and my favorite.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Started out with a Ruger Mk1, and when old enough to take the increased recoil moved up to a  12 ga.
Got a Gold Cup, don't like it, prefer a Smith 52.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Send the GC to me for 'storage'. Can't stand to see any Colt going disliked. Cool

IP Logged

blackpowder

Reply #25 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
congrats on a nice deer with a really nice rifle! this is my first year hunting with a bpcr rifle. I am using my 1885 in 40-70 Ballard, shooting blackpowder paper patch bullets. been shooting deer for almost 40 years with flintlock prb's and that .45 cal is all you need! good luck!

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
I got a special treat this evening on stand....I had a wolf pack go into a full on frenzy howl less than a half mile from me, three times in half an hour. No deer sighted Undecided. That must put absolute fear into every living mammal within earshot.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
That is a very special thing to hear!! I got to hear it once in Colorado, but only once.

More common was having a local coyote pack accompany me to a duck blind on several mornings one year. It was still very dark each time and sometimes individual coyotes seemed only maybe 20M away as they took turns howling. Seemed that they were ending their night's hunt, with the usual howling that year, in area where I parked and were simply including me in their end of hunt celebration. By time I got to blind I was quite wide awake and hyped Cool. Never did see them.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
What I posted earlier was related to a deer rifle and not my first firearm growing up that would be a Red Ryder BB gun.
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2018 at 11:18pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the correction, I was getting worried.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint