Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My favorite day (Read 15363 times)
SBoomer
Oldtimer

My favorite day
Nov 14th, 2018 at 8:03am
Print Post  
It's going to be a very cold, very white opener for Upper Michigan hunters tomorrow. I had 7deg this morning at 6am. My big thrill this year will be using the 'ol Tip-up tomorrow morning. I will be shooting 120gr cast at 1250fps at a 50 yard river crossing. If all goes well, I'll have winter venison hanging and finish the evening in the sauna I built. I still have the "little kid at Chistmas" feeling in my bones. Stay tuned!

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Re: My favorite day
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 9:18am
Print Post  
I think you have a pretty good plan!  Nothing like warming the old bones after a hunt.  Let us know if the plan comes together.  I always said that I would continue to hunt as long as I could get that feeling of anticipation beforehand and the excitement after the shot and thank god I still have both as it sounds like you do as well.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Such a cute little log cabin! Presume your sauna is on back side of cabin. A little more snow and you will be all set to hop out of sauna and roll in snow. Looks like almost enough wood to get you through the winter.

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 10:49am
Print Post  
That IS the sauna. 6x12'. With the exception of milling the logs, built entirely with handtools. It was a personal challenge to see if I could do it. Short of shooting, it may be the most addicting thing I have ever done. At -30 my beard freezes solid in a couple seconds but otherwise I can stand outside several minutes to cool down.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 11:42am
Print Post  
After you cool down, I hope you can warm right back up again with a tasty venison sandwich. Good luck, my friend.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
SBoomer wrote on Nov 14th, 2018 at 10:49am:
That IS the sauna. 6x12'. With the exception of milling the logs, built entirely with handtools. It was a personal challenge to see if I could do it. Short of shooting, it may be the most addicting thing I have ever done. At -30 my beard freezes solid in a couple seconds but otherwise I can stand outside several minutes to cool down.

Wonderful!! 
Given the neat appearance of the outside, inside must be quite nice too.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Enjoyed the personal hand tool challenge and fully understand the whys and how comes of why one would want to choose to do so. Looks really nice and I am sure the interior is also very pleasant to ones eye.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Looking a little closer at what you built and its Northern Michigan location, my thoughts go quickly to all the Finns and Swedes and Norwegians that worked the iron mines there and the Finns and Finland-Swedes that had extensive financial and other connections with copper, etc. mines at Teluride, Colorado and elsewhere (Park City, Utah is one). I knew little about all this until I read a book by a Finland-Swede Lars Sund. He did extensive research on these two concentrations of Finns, Swedes and Norwegians, primarily about Finns and Finland-Swedes, folks that owned iron mines in Michigan and copper mines in Colorado in late 1800s-early 1900s and sold shares in these mines to Finns and Swedes, mostly in Finland. I would presume that you have some ancestral connectivity to those folks.

Lars Sund even wrote a well-researched historical novel about the Finns and Finland-Svensk in Teluride, CO, as well as other book(s) about those in Michigan. Some few decades back the Finns made a film based on this historical novel  -- it is called Colorado Avenue after main street in Teluride. Last I knew film is only in Finnish. On our first trip to Teluride we almost crossed paths with the Finnish film crew (which was to have arrived same day as us) and were able to answer a bunch of questions from Teluride's Mayor, etc. as to why a Finnish film crew was coming to Teluride. We had our autographed copy of Lars Sund's book, which has never been translated to English. 

Thanks for awakening some nice memories.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 2:54am
Print Post  
Good luck with your hunt with the tip up. Do you carry a bear tag just in case you see one?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Bear tag? We can't talk about using a .32-20 on a bear anymore, yu otta no that.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Its OK so long as no flyers.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:10pm:
Bear tag? We can't talk about using a .32-20 on a bear anymore, yu otta no that.

Sorry, I didn't think about the caliber.  I used to always get a bear tag for season overlap.  Just wondering if bear are that common in Michigan?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
32/20, 120gr cast. 1250fps. 60 yard neck shot with the old tip-up........another bucket list check-off! He never quivered.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
You and that ol' shooter get yerselves an attaboy. Nicely done! Smiley

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 3:27pm