Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Fugger-Ballard-Pope (Read 11970 times)
Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Fugger-Ballard-Pope
Reply #30 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Nov 15th, 2018 at 11:30pm:
It's a rare gun that survives for a century, or close to it, and somehow has provenance documented to it that can be proven. When those guns do show up, or when their documentation shows up, it's always much easier to accept the story.

If there's documentation, there's no need for the "story."  Aside from a (possible) G&H record that verifies who did the engraving & when, only the "story" has been presented so far. 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #31 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 4:00pm:
marlinguy wrote on Nov 15th, 2018 at 11:30pm:
It's a rare gun that survives for a century, or close to it, and somehow has provenance documented to it that can be proven. When those guns do show up, or when their documentation shows up, it's always much easier to accept the story.

If there's documentation, there's no need for the "story."  Aside from a (possible) G&H record that verifies who did the engraving & when, only the "story" has been presented so far. 

I can't agree. Documentation serves to enforce the story, and backs up the story. We may not "need" the story, but any story backed up by documentation is always a good story, and much more believable.

If I told you a gun belonged to a certain individual, and that he'd shot on some winning team, it's just a good story. If I found records from the club's history, or scores shot in an old NRA gun magazine from the era. Then it enforces he existed and shot on the team. 
If I further found documentation of pictures of him with the gun, it seals the deal. But the story is still important, and ties the other documents together into a nice package.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 8:44am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Nov 17th, 2018 at 12:14am:
If I told you a gun belonged to a certain individual, and that he'd shot on some winning team, it's just a good story. If I found records from the club's history, or scores shot in an old NRA gun magazine from the era. Then it enforces he existed and shot on the team. 
If I further found documentation of pictures of him with the gun, it seals the deal. But the story is still important, and ties the other documents together into a nice package.

If such records, photos, etc., are found to exist, then facts have replaced conjecture, misunderstanding, ignorance, wishful thinking, & everything else that goes into concocting an unsupported "story," a more descriptive name for which would be "tall tale."  When reasonable documentation exists (which doesn't necessarily mean that every single detail of the subject is known), a valid historical record has been established, & to continue calling it a "story," as that very ambiguous word is commonly used, confuses the issue & casts suspicion on the accuracy of the documentation.   

More than "a question of semantics," I think: when the cops say "that's the suspect's story," they do not mean they believe it really happened that way--they believe it's been made up in place of the facts.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
The difference, of course, is that the cops will preserve the story in order to weed out the inconsistencies. You, would just toss the entire thing and forget it if it isn't 'fact' when it gets to you. 
Save the story, and give it a tag as being provisional. That's the plan, like Vall says.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Bottom line is a story is either true, part true or not true at all and if true it has to be supported. In the case of the Ballard lacking Provenance it's true value would only be that of a nice old charming Ballard single shot rifle having a Pope barrel attached to it. Apparently this rifle sold back in October of 2012 and it makes one wonder what it sold for and this is how it was described at that point in time. It's unfortunate the Lutz notes were apparently not available of which might have provided more supportive and substantial documentation. When you scroll through the few pictures of the rifle there is nothing to me that personally points to a rifle of Pope's personal likings or of one that he could actually afford of which makes it even more unique and mysterious with the work possibly being gifted to him. 

Magnificent and one of a kind “H.M. Pope” marked Ballard action rifle, fully and finely engraved by Josef Fugger and marked “Rebuilt by Griffin & Howe Inc., New York” serial #23122. The book entitled “Lucian Cary OnGuns” circa 1950 pictures this rifle and recalls the story that former owner Mr. Robert L. Lutz’ notes read that, “Frank Bergin at A & F says engraving was done by Josef Fugger at Griffin & Howe and that Joe recalls Pope bringing the gun in personally about 1932 with his picture for engraving”. He also states that the notes mention the rifle was Pope’s personal gun. The rifle shows a 30” tapered round barrel in 22 longrifle caliber showing blue and case hardened finish with a select tiger striped maple checkered stock. The fore end is over sized and elongated with a flattened bottom and adjustable rail for front swivel and the butt stock shows a high rise cheek piece with thin rubber pad. The bottom of the barrel beneath the fore end is also stamped H.M. Pope with C/580/15.9/4-12-21. The frame is masterfully engraved by Fugger.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
I would assume if one wanted to spend the money one could request the information on the rifle in question at the below link and it makes one wonder why this has not already been accomplished when being either sold or prior to being bought.

JLouis

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Nov 17th, 2018 at 1:55pm:
The book entitled “Lucian Cary OnGuns” circa 1950 pictures this rifle and recalls the story that former owner Mr. Robert L. Lutz’ notes read that, “Frank Bergin at A & F says engraving was done by Josef Fugger at Griffin & Howe and that Joe recalls Pope bringing the gun in personally about 1932 with his picture for engraving”. He also states that the notes mention the rifle was Pope’s personal gun. JLouis

A text-book case of hearsay piled on hearsay, with all first-hand witnesses conveniently dead.  But a terrific "story" that many folks apparently WANT to believe so badly that logic & known facts are dismissed.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Nov 17th, 2018 at 12:59pm:

Save the story, and give it a tag as being provisional.

If the "story" has been created (or more likely, evolved over time) it's obviously achieved an independent existence, & needs nobody to "save" it.  How exactly would you "un-save" it"?  Inform the US gov't how to un-save the preposterous story, but believed by hundreds of millions in the raghead world, that Mosad was behind 9-11.

And what is "provisional" but a surreptitious way of saying that it's conjectural, unverified, can't be taken at face value, etc.?  We already know that, which is the reason it's called a "story" & not a factual account.  Such a "story" provides a starting point for further investigation, but that's all it's good for. 

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Well it still has a verifiable Pope barrel attached to it for what they are now worth and some pretty nice engraving to go along with it for what ever it might now be worth. The single trigger to me is an undesirable feature as is the forearm but it's still a Pope barrel and a Ballard action making it very desirable for some individuals to want to own regardless of the story behind it all though it does make for a pretty entertaining story I personaly don't believe it adds any additional value to it. 

JLouis

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #39 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
This  class in semantics you're trying to teach us is just silliness. A story does not have to be fiction. Is it somehow called something different if a story is non fiction?
The story behind the Fugger-Pope rifle is a story whether it's backed up with fact or not! But once backed up by provenance and verification, the STORY is still a story, but it then becomes a true story, vs. just a good story.
You can toss the story out once provenance has proven it true if you want! But I'm happy when a story becomes truth, and I think a story that's no longer fiction, doesn't stop being a story; it becomes a true story, and much more important.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #40 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Nov 17th, 2018 at 4:29pm:
Well it still has a verifiable Pope barrel attached to it for what they are now worth and some pretty nice engraving to go along with it for what ever it might now be worth. The single trigger to me is an undesirable feature as is the forearm but it's still a Pope barrel and a Ballard action making it very desirable for some individuals to want to own regardless of the story behind it all though it does make for a pretty entertaining story I personaly don't believe it adds any additional value to it. 

JLouis

I couldn't agree more John! Any Pope barreled Ballard like the Fugger-Ballard is not to be scoffed at, nor is it's worth minor because of a lack of provenance. It's value is based on it being a gorgeous gun, wonderful engraving, and of course a Pope barrel with all the proper Pope barrel codes.
Should the new owner be able to document it further, then each bit of documentation will only add to it's value. If he can document it as once being owned by Pope, and discover proof that the story is true, then it will certainly elevate the gun to a whole new level.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
What was that selling price back in 2012 I could not seem to locate it Redsetter?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Nov 17th, 2018 at 8:26pm:
What was that selling price back in 2012 I could not seem to locate it Redsetter?

$21,000+ was the price in the Morphy auction.   

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Actually, Red, it was a James Julia Auction.  Dan Morphy hadn't bought Jim out yet.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
I was only interested in the selling price and thanks for providing it Redsetter.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint