Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Fugger-Ballard-Pope (Read 11994 times)
Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Fugger-Ballard-Pope
Nov 8th, 2018 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
I'm re-posting this cause I like it.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Fugger-Ballard-Pope
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 9:51am
Print Post  
What's the story? Someone a big Pope fan and had his image engraved expertly on their Ballard? Is it equipped with a Pope barrel? Any complete pictures of the rifle?

edit-Found it at an old Morphy auction!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I'm surprised by the story behind it. Considering Pope's financial situation at that time, it seems strange that he'd bring a gun to them to have it so lavishly embellished? From what I've read he was barely able to keep food on the table, and make a living in the 30's. And he stopped making barrels around 1937 I believe? 
Wonder if any of the work is documented, since G&H have always kept meticulous records of work done, and who it was done for.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2018 at 9:57am by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Maybe work being traded for work? No money trading hands? Thinking outside the box.
Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Flatlander wrote on Nov 9th, 2018 at 10:50am:
Maybe work being traded for work? No money trading hands? Thinking outside the box.
Flatlander

Maybe a possibility. But not sure with Pope's small income he could afford to trade work for work either. 
If Colgate hadn't been giving him free rent for his shop space, he likely would have closed his doors.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 11:49am
Print Post  
It all sounds a bit fishy to me Pope wasn't one who had any interest in nice wood let alone engraving from what I have read. If you look at his personal rifle in Smith's book you would be hard pressed to find one that was more plainly made and the same also held true for Schoyen's personal rifle. Pope was also one who thought the HiWall action to be the very best so it makes it even more questionable being on a Ballard. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Whatever, I think it is pretty neat!

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Nov 9th, 2018 at 11:49am:
It all sounds a bit fishy to me Pope wasn't one who had any interest in nice wood let alone engraving from what I have read. If you look at his personal rifle in Smith's book you would be hard pressed to find one that was more plainly made and the same also held true for Schoyen's personal rifle.   
JLouis

Very fishy; listen on Antiques Roadshow to the "family histories" of how family heirlooms were acquired to know how much credence to place on such stories: not much, & this tale falls into the same category in my opinion.

Cranky & persnickety as he was about his barrel & other machine work, he was not otherwise a vain man, & it's inconceivable to me that he'd have had any use at all for such an over-the-top rifle as this one.  It is, however, exactly the kind of thing that would appeal to a rich admirer, such as Lucian Cary. 

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Nov 9th, 2018 at 9:51am:
  Wonder if any of the work is documented, since G&H have always kept meticulous records of work done, and who it was done for.

Absolutely, if it was commissioned through G&H, and those records are still available from G&H, I've been told.  What probably wouldn't have been recorded is the "back story," if true (which I doubt): the part about Pope bringing in the rifle himself, etc.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
That action and possibly it's history is in a past ASSRA Journal and when and if I have time I will dig through my stack and pass on which edition it was in and any information of value if found.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Maybe Harry sold 'his personal rifle' to a customer, who asked if he'd drop it off at G&H, along with a photo for the engraver? Now, eighty years later the story is becoming muddled and the testimony on the sales site just used everything they could to dress up the sale. Just a thought. But, it's a dandy rifle, ain't it?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Nice picture and what it sold for. 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
I sure think it is a dandy rifle, and as nice as they come! Even if the work can only be documented to Fugger, and G&H, it's still valuable. I doubt the story of Pope taking it in, or Pope owning it can be documented. 
I'd say that's a good story, but it seems far fetched enough I'm uncertain it falls into the "good story" category.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Nov 9th, 2018 at 11:49am:
It all sounds a bit fishy to me Pope wasn't one who had any interest in nice wood let alone engraving from what I have read. If you look at his personal rifle in Smith's book you would be hard pressed to find one that was more plainly made and the same also held true for Schoyen's personal rifle. Pope was also one who thought the HiWall action to be the very best so it makes it even more questionable being on a Ballard. 

JLouis

I recall seeing pictures of Schoyen's personal Ballard that he built for himself. A little plain compared to some he did for others, but still much nicer than the guns owned and shot by Pope that he built for himself.

Although Pope was a big fan of the High Walls, he built as many Ballards, if not more. And that being a .22 rifle would make sense to do so on a Ballard. It may have been Pope's rifle, but my guess is the adornment and gorgeous stock work all took place later after it was sold, or even after Pope's death.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Nov 9th, 2018 at 11:52pm:
It may have been Pope's rifle, but my guess is the adornment and gorgeous stock work all took place later after it was sold, or even after Pope's death.

The date of the G&H work order (assuming it survives) would settle that point.  Seems to me that the first thing the owner or auctioneer of it should have done is obtain a copy of that order, IF it exists; or maybe they did, but found it conflicted with their "story."

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
I believe Schoyen's Rifle was a HiWall a gentleman on this site or at least he used to be bought it for under $4000.00 several years back. It was one of the items being sold at one of Rock Island's Auctions or Amoskeag's when several very large private single shot collection was being sold and no one was bidding on it. That's back when several of the Rilfes were selling for $16,000.00 and up and the highest I believe went for $74,000.00 if memory serves me right. Could have been Warren Greatbatch collection there were a couple of large private single shot collections being sold around that same time frame at both Auction houses.

Here was but one and not the one mentioned.

JLouis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint