Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Trick or Treat at the Gun Shop (Read 6058 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Trick or Treat at the Gun Shop
Oct 31st, 2018 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Walked into the shop I visit occasionally and went to the rack where there are usually some Favorites and the like. There was a Stevens there but it was apparently a 44 with a heavy round factory barrel, straight stock, and a crescent butt plate in 22 LR. A late action I think with 79xxx serial and Stevens logo was on the side of the action. No provision for receiver sights. So, those in the know, what model is it? It was on consignment at $425. Seemed reasonable but my attention was drawn to its left where there was sitting a half stocked Husqvarna 33 in 9.3x57R (360) also on consignment. The barrel looked either sewery or just really dirty. I requested a patch run through and a bright and shiny bore emerged. That one came home with me. It is a real 9.3 with .367 groove. A fairly late one, I believe, with a 48xxx serial. Halloween had real candy for me today.

IP Logged

oldman46
Senior Forum Member

Re: Trick or Treat at the Gun Shop
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Run it like you stole it, Quote from a Vin Diesel movie. I'd say for what you paid for it you stole it. Now go out and buy some lottery tickets. Beautiful rifle. Don't see anything like that down here. And you got lucky with the groove dimensions. My 98 actioned Husky in 9.3x57 the groove dimensions are close to .369-.370 at the end of a long throat. Color me jealous. Frank

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 12:22am
Print Post  
I thought the Stevens was consigned at $425. Right? Anyways, a nice looking, hopefully good shooting rifle for you to enjoy. Nice find!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 10:54am
Print Post  
That's a real beauty! Haven't seen any of the half stocks around here, but we rarely see any good single shots at all.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Oct 31st, 2018 at 6:45pm:
Walked into the shop I visit occasionally and went to the rack where there are usually some Favorites and the like. There was a Stevens there but it was apparently a 44 with a heavy round factory barrel, straight stock, and a crescent butt plate in 22 LR. A late action I think with 79xxx serial and Stevens logo was on the side of the action. No provision for receiver sights. So, those in the know, what model is it? It was on consignment at $425. Seemed reasonable but my attention was drawn to its left where there was sitting a half stocked Husqvarna 33 in 9.3x57R (360) also on consignment. The barrel looked either sewery or just really dirty. I requested a patch run through and a bright and shiny bore emerged. That one came home with me. It is a real 9.3 with .367 groove. A fairly late one, I believe, with a 48xxx serial. Halloween had real candy for me today.

One more Huskvarna M33 closer to having cornered the Colorado market for these nice rollers. Utmärkt!!

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Yes, the Stevens was consigned at $425 and it is on its way to the West Coast to a friend of Vall's. Then we will find out exactly what it is in the big scheme of things Stevens. I won't say what I paid for the 33a as it would incite envy, and, I may want to sell it someday for a huge profit! I'm working on brass for it now and will post that story in the reloading section when I'm done.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
The Stevens is indeed going to a friend of mine, but in Texas. He said the shop told him it's a full round barrel with Stevens markings, so that's pretty nifty as Stevens go. 
He'll send me good pictures once he has it, and we'll try to figure out what it is. The shop thought it was on the 44 frame, but unsure of the model? He forgot to ask barrel length.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Beautiful rifle and I have never been attracted to rolling blocks but yours is well beyond extremely charming to my eyes and one I would love to own and Congratulations on such a beautiful find. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Do I dare ask which store?

Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Sure, The Gun Room.

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Nov 3rd, 2018 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Thanks.
Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Starting to load for it. It has a longer throat than my full stocked one so I will be using the 200 grain bullets from the Accurate mold seated out to start with.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Great gun!
The voices in my head tell me I need one badly.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

oldman46
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 12:22am
Print Post  
Rebel, never saw one of the model 33's in the flesh. However with the rounded sides of the action would be a natural. yeah and the voices are starting to talk to me also. Missed out on one of the small single shot bolt actioned huskys in 32-20. Guy had onne at the show and I procrastinated too long and when I came back it was gone. Shoulda,coulda and woulda. Frank

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 10:31am
Print Post  
I was "forced" into my full stock 33A when a friend put it up as collateral for a loan, and then conceded a year later that he'd like to not pay me back. I was a little saddened by that, but once it became mine I started looking into loading and shooting it. At that point I did a complete change of heart and became enamored with my new gun! 
They really are beautiful, and very lightweight guns also. Would make an excellent deer rifle to pack all day, and the weight and sling swivels make them even better!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint