Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Trick or Treat at the Gun Shop (Read 6072 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Trick or Treat at the Gun Shop
Reply #15 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
For those of you who may not know what the full stock one looks like, here's the half stock's stablemate. They come complete with horn tip cap and thimbled cleaning rod. And, here's a closeup of the beautifully sculpted action.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Beautiful Rifle! 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Beautiful Rifle! I believe it to be the first I have seen and thanks for sharing.

JLouis

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Swedes call these cute rifles "Fågelgevär", bird rifles, cause they were often chambered for smaller caliber rifle cartridges and used to shoot "black grouse" (orre and tjäder) out of tree tops, often in deep winter when skis were necessary. This remains a popular form of hunting, although such hunting with rifles is now largely limited to remote areas in northern Sweden, such as Härjedalen, Hälsingland and Norrland, in January, February, even March. 

Swedish name for this hunting is "ToppJakt" cause the grouse are shot when they are feeding in tops of conifer trees. Nowadays shots are often out to 200M and modern lightweight turnbolts with 6X-12X scopes are common. Common shooting position is prone in snow, sometimes well over a meter deep. There are many youtube videos of such hunting. Here is one of a tjäder (capercaille) hunt. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the link and damn nice shooting no wonder they do so good in the Olympics and his heart had to be pumping pretty good. What cartridge do they typically use and I didn't realize the birds were that big and would assume to be excellent eating.

JLouis

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
I don not know what is typically used. I see 222Rem, mentioned are various 5,56mm, 6mm, 6,5mm, even 7mm cartridges, 6,5X55 of course. Even see mention now and then of 30-06 and other "big game" cartridges, often with full mantled bullets. In a country where hunters have only a few hunting rifles, or a kombi or drilling for all their hunting, most any caliber can get used.  Factory ammo for several widely used rifle cartridges is available in "target" loads, usually with full mantled lighter bullets and lower velocities -- these seem to often be used for toppjakt and smaller animals. Hand loading seem fairly common, although hunter folks I know personally stick to factory ammo and a single box of ammo can last years and kill multiple critters (moose, deer, boars mostly).

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Nice video. Rough way to get a "turkey" though. Looks like they had a layer of plastic over the muzzle that they shot through. Beats shooting with snow in it.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Nov 6th, 2018 at 6:54pm:
Nice video. Rough way to get a "turkey" though. Looks like they had a layer of plastic over the muzzle that they shot through. Beats shooting with snow in it.

That "turkey" is really a BIG grouse. American turkeys are really just big chickens. The other "black grouse", orre, is clearly a grouse and, like sage grouse, gathers up and mates at leks, and yes, lotsa fighting among males while females watch and wait.

Yes, noticed that plastic on muzzle too. Not sure how widely used that trick is -- suspect a lot.

That type of hunting is rather physically demanding, even more so cause temps can be -20C or lower. Yet to see an old guy in one of these toppjakt videos. And yes, I have yet to see one of these hunt videos where the wind was blowing nicely -- suspect both bird and hunter opt to do something else on those days. Not at all like sitting in a "jakttorn" (hunter's high seat) some were in southern Sweden waiting for the drivers to move a moose past you.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
I heard from the Husqvarna Museum. Nice folks there. They did not have anything about the ammo that was in use then but said my rifle was post 1900 and probably one of the last of its kind built. Still waiting for good weather at the range.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 11:46am
Print Post  
You must have been doubly or triply lucky that day, 1) really nice M33, 2) late manufacture. Could 3) be that is/was unfired?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint