Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ballard serial # (Read 1270 times)
Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballard serial #
Oct 30th, 2018 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Is it possible for a Ballard with a 36,000 serial # to have a 3 line address with a rimfire grooved top?  Can't see inside so don't know if it's a cast steel or forged action.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Ballard serial #
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Marlin Ballard serial range for guns marked "Marlin Firearms Co." ended somewhere in the 37,000 range. So very likely to find a 3 line cast action in that range. And a #3 is the most common type action I see in the 36,000 and above range.
The 2 or 3 line doesn't always tell if it's cast or not. But over 98% of the 3 line addresses are cast actions. There are a number of 3 line address Rigby Ballards found in the 18,000 range, and John Dutcher said he thought the 2 line  rollstamp was broken and they simply used a 3 line until it was fixed. I own a 3 line Rigby in that 18,000 range that is forged.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
At what serial number range did the Marlin Ballards start showing up with forged actions. Did they make both the forged action and cast steel action at the same time depending on the caliber?  How is it that a forged action showed up as early as 18,000? Thanks for the info so far.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Forged actions were made extremely early in the first year of production. The Model #1 was a cast action, but the Model #1 1/2 and Model #4 were first offered in 1875, and both were forged actions. They were available in .40-63 Ballard and .45-70, but the #4 was later offered in many more calibers.
I have a #4 that's serial number 4xx. I also have a couple #6 Schuetzen in 5xx and 6xx. Lots of various forged actions were introduced by Marlin the first year in 1875.
The #1 was the first cast action that same year. But the #2 and #3 were also offered the first year in 1875, and all three were cast actions. The #1 is most commonly found in .44 Long, or Extra Long, but I've seen them in .38 XL also. The #2 is most common in .32 Long and .38 Long, but also came in other calibers after the #1 was dropped like .44 Long, .44-40, .32-20. The #3 was almost exclusively .22RF, but the .22WCF was offered, and I've yet to see one in that caliber.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint