Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) CPA features (Read 3788 times)
gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

CPA features
Oct 28th, 2018 at 10:12am
Print Post  
I just acquired a CPA Stevens 32-40. It has a straight grip stock, brass OH type BP with a long lower arm (no upper extension), no checkering and doesn't really match anything currently available on CPA's website. It is also has a half octagon barrel, and blued receiver, which I guess is still an option, but I've never seen anything but CC on these rifles. Other features are pretty common - DST, ball & spur lever and Stevens "schnabel fore-end. Looks like it was set up for  modern scope. The auction house didn't give a serial number. Roll Eyes

Just wondering if this might be an older example. I won't have it in hand for a few weeks, so trying to do a little research during the long wait.
Added a picture.
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2018 at 10:19am by gewehrfreund »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: CPA features
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
A friend had a Custom CPA built with a rust blued action instead of being CCased. CPA will build a Rifle to ones own liking and this appears to be a good example of one of them. Nice looking rifle and congratulations and once you know the serial number give Gail a call and she will pull the work sheet and provide it's history.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

SmallBoreBuyer

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Well done - way less than half the new price for what looks to be an almost new rifle.

It seems the original buyer provided CPA the rear sight (can't tell on the front).

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Just wondering if this might be an older example. I won't have it in hand for a few weeks, so trying to do a little research during the long wait.
Obtain the serial number and then call CPA.  They have a database with the history of every rifle they made ...
Gail or Paul Shuttleworth ... 570-828-1669

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the responses.
I was surprised to have won this, as I just threw in a lowball bid thinking it would go for much more. This is my first CPA and I'm looking forward to shooting it. It will compliment my original 44 1/2 in 22rf.

I'm already pondering a possible 32-20 barrel. Roll Eyes

I'm about 2-2 1/2 hours NW of the Shuttleworths, so a day trip is not out of the question at some point.

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Are you sure it is a CPA? 
It looks like a Stevens 44-1/2 all right but not a CPA

John boy is right to Call CPA and supply the the SN. They can tell you all about the rifle if it is theirs and tell a lot even if it is a Stevens made action.

I am sure you made a good deal on a nice rifle either way.
enjoy!
CW

BTW- one quick thing you can do as soon as you receive the rifle is measure the action width. That will tell you everything.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Ken Bresein made and sold casting sets for his beefed-up Stevens 44-1/2 action back in the '70's and early '80's to hobbyists who wanted to make their own rifles.  He didn't go further than X-raying the castings and spotting for the holes in the parts, because he said he didn't want the paperwork hassle that a "gun maker" had to go through with the Government.

He later sold the moulds and stuff to the Shuttleworths, who used them to make finished actions and rifles.  The Bresein/Shuttleworth actions take a full inch diameter barrel shank, so can fire larger cartridges than the originals.

That rifle may be the work of a talented amateur, who would find it easier to blue the action than color caseharden it.  At the time, Shuttleworth provided partially inletted and shaped stocks for about anything, so somebody with machinery, tools and patience could have a fancy 44-1/2 without having to pay a collector's price for an old one.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
The tenon is not a full one inch on the CPA's it is actually 15/16 of an inch and turned down to .940 thousandths before threading and the tap they use to thread their actions is actually 15/16 ths. I once owned an original Breisen action prior to him selling it to CPA and it was not a kit but one Ken manufactured. It had a 15 inch left hand twist Bresien barrel chambered in 33-47 with false muzzle and the best shooting and most consistent competive rifle I have owned to date and the most charming as well. The action had 100% full coverage engraving and had a French Gray finish. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

JLouis
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2018 at 10:26pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Beautiful rifle and interesting history of these rifles I wasn't aware of.

Where does CPA stamp their serial numbers?

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 8:42am
Print Post  
They number them on the bottom of the action up front by the barrel/forend wood.

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #10 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
That's a nice find! Regardless who made it, looks fine to me. I hope you get a lot of joy owning and using it. I never see Steven's in this shape come along, so enjoy! I'm waiting on the next auction......

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 7:30am
Print Post  
Gunfunpow wrote on Oct 30th, 2018 at 1:21pm:
That's a nice find! Regardless who made it, looks fine to me. I hope you get a lot of joy owning and using it. I never see Steven's in this shape come along, so enjoy! I'm waiting on the next auction......

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it too. I suppose for what I paid, I can't complain too much if it turns out not to be a bona fide CPA (as claimed by the auction house). At least the Lyman 103 tang sight has some value. Wink

This rifle is from the collection of John Sukey of Tuscon. Apparently, a very active collector, but mostly of Enfields. I assume there were some notes from him that indicated this as being a CPA rifle.

I have no idea how long it will take to get this in hand, as I've never really dealt with a true auction house, or this one in particular, in a firearm transaction.

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #12 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Here's what I know: The person who bought your consigned auction piece will have it in their hands before you see the check from the auction house. But that don't matter here, so awright awright!! Fire away and enjoy!

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
This rifle finally arrived at my FFL today, and it is indeed one of Paul Shuttleworth's early examples.
His name is on the top flat, and removing the fore-end, I was presented with the additional information.
Barrel - Douglas
Twist - 1 in 16
groove - .3207
date - 1.1.88

So, essentially made during his second year of official production.
Curious though that there is no serial number on the rifle itself. Just the number 1055 penciled inside the fore-end inletting.
Also curious, though probably a buyer's request, is the fact that it's D&T for modern scope mounting as the Weaver! Roll Eyes bases are 4 1/2 inches apart on centers. Of course, this could have been done by someone else later too. Oh well, you can't have everything.

The wood is very nice and the all the metal still has a beautiful deep blue after 30 years.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it shoots. Too bad that winter has come early and shows little signs of changing anytime soon.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Gail should still be able to look up the history just by the date on the barrel. There also has to be a serial number somewhere it could not have been accepted or shipped without having one attached to it. The only exception would be if the action was made by the individual himself and even then I think one would have to been assigned for CPA to have worked on it 

JLouis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint