Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens Schuetzen w Palm Rest and Swiss Buttplate (Read 14701 times)
Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Stevens Schuetzen w Palm Rest and Swiss Buttplate
Oct 20th, 2018 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Last weekend I bought the photo below.  The photo itself measures approx. 19" tall and 13" wide.  The patriotic frame adds a few inches.

The photo is an old vintage photo.  I would guess 1900 to 1910 by how the gentleman is dressed.  The rifle is modified.  The buttstock and wide forend are custom.  I can't identify the palm rest.  The scope has a flared ocular end and uses Stevens rings.  I don't see any iron sights on the action or barrel (could be a custom barrel).

This should be an easy rifle to identify today if it is still in this configuration.  Any guess as to the custom gunmaker?  ... or shooter?

Thank you ...
Joe

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Re: Stevens Schuetzen w Palm Rest and Swiss Buttplate
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 8:21am
Print Post  
. . .

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Great photo. 44-1/2 action.  I think what you called a "flared" ocular is something like a long piece of rubber tubing attached to serve as an eye shade; so probably an ordinary Stevens scope.

And would you look at the width of that tree trunk!  (Or is it a studio prop?)

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Nice find Joe, thank you for posting so we all can see it.
A small detail but I noticed a screw in the side of the action. I have seen that on other 44 1/2 actions that were factory chambered for .22RF. Any comments from our Stevens experts?

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Yes, that certainly looks like the screw used on 44 1/2 actions to enable the use of a "kicking" ejector.

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Looks like a Pope style palm rest, and lever. Maybe it's a Pope rifle? Never seen a scope with the large bell on the ocular end? I see the end looks shiny like it's polished metal, so either it's not rubber or the rubber is pretty shiny.
Really neat picture!!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
What a find!

Although it's not the style of chapeau he favored, his clothing, face, beard, apparent age (mid- to late-40s), and the stunt of holding the rifle rock-steady by just the palm rest all make me wonder if the sitter isn't Harry Pope his own self.

In any case, the photo's size and format strongly suggest that it was meant to have pride-of-place in somebody's parlor.

Bill Lawrence
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2018 at 6:35pm by Bill Lawrence »  

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Bill
Interesting question as to Joe's photo being Harry Pope. Here is a photo of Pope taken about 1900. People can look at both and draw their own conclusion.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
That is not a large tree trunk by California standards. You can drive thru the trees there. Redwoods that is! Pretty darn big for an eastern hardwood though.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
I also noticed the nice balance point!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Which was more difficult; holding a rifle steady at balance point, or keeping a straight face while doing so? Them old photos took some time to shoot, ya know.
Pretty nice photo you have there Joe.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 3:30pm:
Them old photos took some time to shoot, ya know.

Actually, by the time this Stevens was in production, film with a speed fast enough for snap-shots was available, though it required sunlight or good lighting. Even something moving slowly could be "caught" with a minimum of blurring.  This kind of film made Kodak's Brownie series possible, & the first of those were available in 1900.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Don't be so damn literal, Red. Can't you see when something is just said for the conversational value it presents? Try this......
Go get yer wife, friend, neighbor (or whoever), and a rifle. Now, with even faster film, try to balance the rifle long enough to get a picture that doesn't look like a wreck getting started. I await your photo................................

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
I've seen only a couple pictures of Pope in his earlier years, so can't comment on if the picture might be Pope. But considering the apparent age of the person in the picture, and if it indeed dates to the early 1900's, then I'd say it would certainly be from before Pope's departure from Stevens. I doubt he'd be caught posing with a Stevens rifle after the way things went at Stevens.
Pope was 40 in 1901, and left Stevens around 1904 I believe? His contract was longer, but he was paid for the entire contract, and then left. Soon after he headed to San Francisco where he lost everything in the earthquake and fire.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
First, it's a 44-1/2 action, so the photo dates at least to 1903, and maybe even later, depending on when the "kicking extractor" was introduced.  Second, the rifle seems simply but elegantly customized beyond anything that would've come out of the Stevens shop.  Third, my impression has always been that it was the 44 action that Harry despised; indeed, didn't he at least have a hand in developing the 44-1/2?

In any case, to say it again, this is one of the few period "guy with gun" photos I'd love to hang on my wall.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
The deep eyes, high cheek bone, and shape of the ear look very similar to Pope.  Too bad the photo resolution and angle doesn't give little better view of his nose.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 6:55pm:
Third, my impression has always been that it was the 44 action that Harry despised; indeed, didn't he at least have a hand in developing the 44-1/2?

Wasn't merely the 44--he hated everything related to his brief employment by Stevens; even to the degree, I wouldn't be surprised, of subconsciously blaming Stevens for his disastrous odyssey out to San Fran...because if he hadn't sold his shop eqpt. to Stevens, he could have resumed work in his old Hartford shop.  Therefor, allowing himself to be photographed with any Stevens product after he had left them in such bitterness seems unlikely to me.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Usually Redsetter is at least very close to the mark if not dead on.  But his last post ... .   

First, if Harry sold all his equipment to Stevens, what did he set up shop with in 'Frisco? (And we know he did; in fact, he was set to open his new shop the day the quake hit.)

Second, even if Harry had a die-hard animus against Stevens, it would have been professionally and financially negligent of him not to use the 44-1/2 action as the basis for one of his rifles.  Or look at it this way:  Are the only Stevens actions with Pope barrels those made while Pope worked for them or before?

Hopefully, Warren Greatbatch will live long enough to finish his multi-volume Pope saga, and then you who can afford a set will finally know all the various truths about that fascinating and frustrating man.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 10:34pm:
Usually Redsetter is at least very close to the mark if not dead on.  But his last post ... .  

First, if Harry sold all his equipment to Stevens, what did he set up shop with in 'Frisco? (And we know he did; in fact, he was set to open his new shop the day the quake hit.)

Well, I may be mistaken about this, but that's what Gary Quinlan told me as the reason he didn't just go back to Hartford after the Stevens fiasco.  Not to denigrate Greatbach's crucial role in taking the "Pope project" from wishful thinking to reality, but he is the financier for this enterprise, not the historian.  (Those who know Quinlan will know what I mean.)

As for Pope's personal attitude toward his former employer, he never missed an opportunity in later writings & interviews to belittle Stevens products; that's why I say, his animus appears to go deeper than merely a failed business arrangement.
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2018 at 11:07pm by Redsetter »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
I think Harry was just an unfortunately unlucky in life perfectionist.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Perhaps Pope, after heavy and intimate exposure with and to Stevens, got tired of working on what he concluded to be a majority of one-off products.
I've known other highly talented gunsmiths who've acquired the same attitude toward Stevens that Pope had.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Might be my eyes but the forearm looks kind of blocky and crude?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #22 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 6:55pm:
First, it's a 44-1/2 action, so the photo dates at least to 1903, and maybe even later, depending on when the "kicking extractor" was introduced.  Second, the rifle seems simply but elegantly customized beyond anything that would've come out of the Stevens shop.  Third, my impression has always been that it was the 44 action that Harry despised; indeed, didn't he at least have a hand in developing the 44-1/2?

In any case, to say it again, this is one of the few period "guy with gun" photos I'd love to hang on my wall.

Bill Lawrence

Yes, Pope didn't think much of the 44 action. And I have heard that he had some input possibly on the 44 1/2, but nothing documented that I know of?
But since he left Stevens not long after the 44 1/2 came out, and was not on good terms; I still wonder why he'd pose for a picture with ANY Stevens rifle? Has nothing to do with whether he liked or disliked a particular action, and more about his feelings towards Stevens in general.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 11:14am
Print Post  
True, Vall, but this isn't a Stevens rifle but a rifle built with some Stevens components.  In other words, my experience with crafts people, and Harry Pope was a supreme one, is that their pride rests in the final product, not the components (which, after all, aren't used unless they are worthy of the task).

So, again, did Pope never build, rebarrel, or rerifle a gun in New Jersey that had a Stevens action?  Or mount a Stevens scope? Or reuse a Stevens stock, lever, palm rest, buttplate, tang sight, etc.?

Also, it's news to me that Greatbatch is only the financier of the Pope project.  I thought he was the man with all the records.  If not, who does have them?  Who is doing all the research, etc.?  Whose name(s) should really be on the books produced so far and, hopefully, yet to come?

Bill Lawrence
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2018 at 11:20am by Bill Lawrence »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #24 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
It's not a case of whether Pope would build a barrel for a customer's Stevens rifle. Or whether he thought the Stevens 44 1/2 was a good action. It's his relationship to Stevens, and how it ended. 
Whether Pope would make a buck off doing customer work or not isn't in question. But whether he'd be willing to pose with a Stevens rifle (custom built or not) is questionable. I'd think he'd be more likely to pose with his personal rifle, and that wasn't a Stevens. 
Not sure about Warren Greatbatch's personal level of involvement in the HM Pope books? But my understanding is all of Roderick's info gathered during his life was turned over to the ASSRA archives. I'd assume Greatbatch, or whoever did research for the Pope books accessed Roderick's ASSRA research. The dedication on the inside of his two volume set of Hartford Pope books is to Roderick, and states that Roderick's records were on loan to ASSRA for the use of all ASSRA members.
The list of main contributors to the book (beyond Greatbatch and Rowe) are Gary Quinlan (historian), Randy Wright (artist), Dennis Hrusosky (consulting collector), David Westbrook (photographer), and a huge list of individuals too numerous to add here.
I hate to assume anything, but would guess that Warren and Tom assembled the books based on Roderick's records mainly, and then input from all the others named in the dedication. I hadn't heard Warren was just a financier?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #25 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 10:34pm:

Bill Lawrence

Supposedly Pope used his payout from Stevens when they bought his contract out to finance the move to San Francisco, and purchase new equipment. Of course Pope built his own rifling machines, so I'd guess he would purchase material in SF and build there also. 
But Ray Smith says he got his shop totally set up, as he was only there long enough to rent a space and finish setting up when the earthquake took his shop and everything in it.
He didn't return to Hartford for multiple reasons. Foremost being that he was broke. He took a job with Sidle building scopes to get by, but did not get along well there. He eventually was loaned funds by friends and acquaintances, and began his trek back East. He contacted Schoyen about setting up a partnership, but Schoyen had no need for more help. 
When he eventually arrived back East, he was estranged from his wife and family in Ct., so was given a space rent free in the Colgate building in Jersey City to set up his business. That business was financed again by friends, and he never prospered in barrel making again in his life. He made his last barrel in 1937, and none after that.
It's said that Pope's family found correspondence with a woman from San Francisco after his death, and concluded his move there after leaving his family was based on that relationship, or hope of a relationship?
Most of his personal letters were destroyed by the family after his death. He never had a good relationship with his children, but towards the end seems to have developed a bit of communication with his son Allen, according to people who knew him, and comments Allen Pope made later.
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:23pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:01pm:
It's his relationship to Stevens, and how it ended.

Exactly.  To shift blame to others for our own mistakes, miscalculations, other errors of judgment, is a basic human psychological tendency.  I think that Pope's irrationally hateful attitude toward Stevens resulted from his conviction that "all his troubles began" with his involvement with Stevens.  This may be true chronologically, but it was his own inflexible personality that doomed the possibility of an harmonious business relationship with Stevens.  Maybe some Stevens exec gave him an exaggerated idea of the autonomy he'd be granted in Stevens' shop, but what he should have realized is that, when you began taking a paycheck from a huge company, you no longer call the shots. 

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:17pm:
He took a job with Sidle building scopes to get by, but did not get along well there.

He couldn't get along with anybody in any sort of joint business venture.  Read that pathetic letter he wrote to Niedner after the Frisco fiasco, more or less begging to go into partnership with him...which Niedner had the good sense to decline. 

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
I don’t think people were ever all that different through time, only the ease of documenting things.

If that’s the owner of the rifle, he was proud and wanted the photo. 

If that’s the craftsman that built the rifle, it’s quite possible the owner requested the photo. That can be hard to say no to.

It would seem likely that the builder would be more apt to showcase the balance.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #29 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:49pm:
marlinguy wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:17pm:
He took a job with Sidle building scopes to get by, but did not get along well there.

He couldn't get along with anybody in any sort of joint business venture.  Read that pathetic letter he wrote to Niedner after the Frisco fiasco, more or less begging to go into partnership with him...which Niedner had the good sense to decline. 

I think by that time Pope's reputation for not getting along had proceeded him, and probably why Niedner and Schoyen both rejected his offer to partner up. It could never have ended well. 
I also think that some of Pope's attitude stems back to him being orphaned and taken in by his uncle. Being elevated within the Pope company so quickly, and put in charge of the plant at a young age could likely have created a sense of self worth that lasted the rest of his life.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #30 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 1:36pm:

It would seem likely that the builder would be more apt to showcase the balance.

But it would seem more likely for the owner to have a picture taken with his gun, vs. the builder.
I can see the gun maker showing the balance to the owner, but not having a photo done. Having pictures done was a bigger deal back then.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 3:35pm:
Being elevated within the Pope company so quickly, and put in charge of the plant at a young age could likely have created a sense of self worth that lasted the rest of his life.

It's certain he never suffered from an inferiority complex!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #32 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 3:45pm:

I lost track of how many times I saw Pope quoted about having a degree in engineering from MIT? In fact he wasn't an engineer and had the 2 year hands on course of training.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 3:37pm:
Dellet wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 1:36pm:

But it would seem more likely for the owner to have a picture taken with his gun, vs. the builder.
I can see the gun maker showing the balance to the owner, but not having a photo done. Having pictures done was a bigger deal back then.

It really was not what people would think. Cameras at the time were available cheaper than most rifles. So if you could afford a custom rifle, you could afford a camera and the equipment to develop the photo. This ad is from 1905 and bottom line quality. $100 would have been top tier.

All I’m saying is people with cameras have been a pain since they became affordable. If the the photo is Pope, posing for a customer makes as much sense as anything else, maybe more.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Been around enough folks in my lifetime who were by far better engineers and not having a degree than some of those who did.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 5:08pm:
Redsetter wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 3:45pm:

I lost track of how many times I saw Pope quoted about having a degree in engineering from MIT? In fact he wasn't an engineer and had the 2 year hands on course of training.

This mythical story has been repeated so many times that it's now acquired a life of its own.  For ex., Wikipedia's history of the Pope Mfg. Co. identifies Harry as having an engineering degree from MIT. And of course, anything you read on Wiki HAS to be true!

By the way, Jay Leno owns & rides a 1918 Pope motorcycle that's one of the highlights of his huge collection; it, & many other fabulous bikes, can be seen in action on Jay's You Tube channel.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Leno's collection is really quite amazing.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
My first wife's son was in the Automotive Restoration Program at McPherson College when Jay Leno made his first visit there.  Mr. Leno was impressed with the program - then the only such run by an accredited 4-year college - to the point that he endowed it heavily over the next few years.  But what was most important to a select group of McPherson students, my step-son included, was that he had them on Tonight where they talked cars and Leno shamelessly plugged McPherson; and the next day he gave them a personal tour of his collection.  The memories are still radiant over 20 years later.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 1:38am
Print Post  
bnice wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 8:43am:

The forearm is longer than the octagon section of the barrel.
Was the barrel set back and rechambered?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #39 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 6:32pm:

It really was not what people would think. Cameras at the time were available cheaper than most rifles. So if you could afford a custom rifle, you could afford a camera and the equipment to develop the photo. This ad is from 1905 and bottom line quality. $100 would have been top tier.

All I’m saying is people with cameras have been a pain since they became affordable. If the the photo is Pope, posing for a customer makes as much sense as anything else, maybe more.

True, but portrait photos like the above weren't done with a Brownie! And although there might be some slight possibility it could be Pope, it's more likely it isn't.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #40 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 9:41am
Print Post  
BP wrote on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 1:38am:
bnice wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 8:43am:

The forearm is longer than the octagon section of the barrel.
Was the barrel set back and rechambered?

I doubt it. I'd bet the forearm wood is new, and just built to whatever size the shooter wanted, with no concern of where the octagon ended.
Knowing the length of a Stevens 44 1/2 action, one could scale the picture and figure out pretty closely how long the barrel, octagon, and forearm all are.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 11:20am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 9:39am:
True, but portrait photos like the above weren't done with a Brownie!

Has it been out of the frame to look for a photographer's name & possibly address?  Even if the photo was made by an amateur using his own camera, the negative would have to be taken to a pro for enlargement.   

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
First, it's likely my overheated imagination, but in Randy's photo, doesn't Pope, with a dimple yet, look remarkably like Tom Selleck?

Also, to the best of my knowledge, Pope himself never claimed an MIT engineering degree.  And, yes, Pope had an ego, could be arrogant and short-tempered, etc., etc., and etc..  But as my cracker-jack machinist father, who could seemingly make or fix almost anything, often reminded me: "It isn't bragging, if you can do it."

May God have granted them both peace and rest.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #43 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Hello All !

First, thank you to all of you who have shared a thought or opinion of the photo.  Personally I don't think it's H.M. Pope no matter how much I would like it to be.

Redsetter: The second photo is of the photo itself removed from the frame.  There is no name, city, etc. written on the photo itself or even on the inside lip of the frame.  That was the only reason I removed the photo from the frame after nervously removing each nail holding it in on the backside.  I can't imagine replacing oval slightly dome glass is cheap (or possible).  The photo took on a slight curvature to the glass and cannot be scanned.  I don't know if the curvature is original and intentional of if so previous own stacked things on it.  The photo enlarged (Photo No.3) is as good as it gets.

The forearm does look very chunky.  ... and the buttstock looks non-factory Stevens also.  Granted it's not perfectly clear but the barrel doesn't show a front or rear barrel sight or open dovetails.  It could just be the angle, but the barrel looks heavy and shorter than 30"

Joe

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Joe, if my ol' eyes are not deceiving me, the photo has been touched up by somebody, way back when. (the forerunner to the often criticized photo shop). The end of the barrel and the area of the cheek piece are where it shows. Doesn't distract from a doozy of a photo, either. 
By the way, I have an even larger frame with the domed glass from my mom's collection of portraits. Ugly portrait, terrific frame. I asked and no frame shop knew where glass like that could be had. Sign shop said they might redo it in plastic. Glad I need neither, but wish I had something nice to put in there.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #45 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Well put Mr. Lawrence, and bless yor dad for knowing the difference.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 12:15pm:
Also, to the best of my knowledge, Pope himself never claimed an MIT engineering degree. 

He didn't have to--Ray Smith did it for him. Possibly Smith picked up the story from someone other than Pope--Lucian Cary, perhaps.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
I did some measurements, with a CAD program, that you can set a basic measurements of one area.

I used the receiver length of a 44 1/2 @ 1.5"

I get the following measurements, rounded to the nearest 1/4":

Barrel length = 24"

LOP = 13"

C/C distance of the scope blocks = 8.5"

Scope length from front to what ever the rear is = 18.5"

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #48 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Have to see if I can find Pope's statement about being an MIT graduate, and the only gunsmith with an engineering degree. It may have been an interview, or in a letter to some friend?
But Ray Smith did mention it. And supposedly his book was proof read and approved by Pope's family and close friends. At least he says it was in the foreword.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #49 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 3:52pm:
I did some measurements, with a CAD program, that you can set a basic measurements of one area.

I used the receiver length of a 44 1/2 @ 1.5"

I get the following measurements, rounded to the nearest 1/4":

Barrel length = 24"

LOP = 13"

C/C distance of the scope blocks = 8.5"

Scope length from front to what ever the rear is = 18.5"

Frank

What about the length of the octagon? And the forearm wood length?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 10:15pm:
But Ray Smith did mention it. And supposedly his book was proof read and approved by Pope's family and close friends.

Which means nothing; of all possible forms of evidence, "family tradition" is absolutely the LEAST reliable.  Almost every episode of Antiques Roadshow includes some BS family story that the experts explain is physically impossible.

Kelver said he attended a "special program" at MIT that lasted one year; "one year" of college courses generally means two terms, or about 9 months.

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #51 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Wow Frank!  It's forensic analysis applied to photography.  Nicely done!

IP Logged

Hayface

Reply #52 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Gents,

The following are intended as questions, please do not misinterpret them as challenges.  Just wondering if the CAD program can compensate for the fact that the rifle is not held perpendicular to the camera and the effect that angular perspective has on length measurement?   Will it make much of a difference?  Can it be used to calculate the angle?  

I know I've had some really spotty success trying to determine length by seat of the pants measurements and comparisons of objects not perpendicular to the film, which have been attempted using a known object dimension as a baseline.  However, I can absolutely guarantee my brain does not have the acuity of a computer.

Re: touchup.  I thought that his coat sleeve being visible through the barrel was a dead giveaway.

Regardless, another wonderful photo of an unknown subject, obviously proudly holding a rifle, whose identity will likely go unanswered, just like some of those now modern ones containing our mugs.

A secondary question.  Do any of you prefer a rifle that balances perfectly on the palm rest?  I personally like the rifle to be a bit muzzle heavy.

Hayface
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2018 at 9:51am by Hayface »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Joe Do... wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 8:08am:
Wow Frank!  It's forensic analysis applied to photography.  Nicely done!

Now being done to match unknown human remains to photos of possible victims; it's how the members of the Romanov family were identified from their charred bones. But a scull or part of one is needed for the comparison. 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #54 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Hayface, I think it certainly affects the measurement being at an angle. But I've found you can still get very close. I've measured guns in my collection with images printed out from web sites, and found you can get extremely close transposing the dimensions from a printed image to an actual gun. You just need one known dimension like the receiver and then the rest can be proportioned from the image.
I'd be surprised if that slight angle made even 1/4" of difference. Likely much less.

Touchup? We might be seeing a reflection of his sleeve on a highly polished barrel finish?

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #55 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Think about the angle/OAL this way; 
1. receiver to barrel is a ratio
2. If they are angled, as in this case, both are still the same angle. Ratio doesn't change.
3. What may affect the measurement the barrel in this case is whatever effect the lens may have on the depth. I am just guessing about this but distance from the lens sure seems to affect perceived size of objects in some photographs.

Whatever the length of that barrel and whoever the man is, that is a really nice old picture!

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Even back in my high school drafting classes we could (with a process that is slow and persnickity- and forgotten) scale photos of things if we had a couple of knowns or good ideas of what they ought to be. Nowadays, I haven't any doubt that CAD and similar can do it nearly perfectly and quicker by far. I'd trust the figures Frank supplied until proven wrong. 
Those drafting classes, by the way, were almost sixty years back. The method was used to produce drawings with perspective, but reversing the process gave measurements to make drawings of things not yet on paper. Wish I remembered how to do it sometimes. (not often). Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2018 at 12:25pm by calledflyer »  

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #57 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
I am also thinking about the rifle balancing on the palmrest, that palmrest could be adjusted to move that balance point from what was advantageous for offhand shooting to what was easy to hold for the picture.

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #58 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
I did a lot more measuring. To begin with, my first measurements where off. I remembered, correctly the the shank of the 44 1/2 is 1.5" but, I used that as the top of the receiver length. Measuring my 44 1/2's, the actual, top of the receiver is 1 5/16" long so, there is a error of 14% in those dimensions.

So, I started over using the distance from the bottom corner of the receiver to the top corner of the octagon, as pictured. That distance is 4.6" on my rifles.

I also enlarged the picture about 25%, over what I used before but, I doubt that it helped much because it blurs more too.

Using the new reference, I get the following:

Receiver length at the top = 1.315   

Receiver with barrel stub = 1.47

Barrel length = 17.75

Octagon = 6.56

Forearm = 7.56

Scope = 15.18

Mount spacing = 6.87

LOP = 11.5

You may think, while some of the measurements are right on, you may also think that some of those those dimensions just can't be, right? That's what I thought, too!

So, I remembered from some some source, that eye spacing is pretty standard. I looked that up and the average is 64mm or 2.52 (+/- .12 on the extreme ends). I measured his eye spacing and it came out 2.49.

This guy is of slight build. His body width is about 2 - 3" less than mine, across his arms and I'm 5'8". His upper and lower arm is also less than mine. I'm going to guess that he is no taller than 5'5".

So then, I would say that he had this rifle built especially for himself and that is why he appears to be so proud of it.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #59 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
The barrel is 17.75" long??? Sure that's correct? And octagon only 6.5" long?
Just looking at the man, and his build, I'd have guessed much longer on both measurements!

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #60 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Agree Vall something isn't right the rifle wouldn't even be legal by ASSRA rules min. barrel length I believe is 20 inches.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #61 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
My not so precise ruler and dial calipers tell me the barrel is about 21.5" long. The octagon is 7.5" long, and LOP on the stock is 11.25" long. Forearm wood is about 8.35" long.

Based on a .5" equals 3" scale.

IP Logged

SmallBoreBuyer

Reply #62 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
This just looked off to me, so I took a closer look.

I don't believe the barrel measurements are valid - this appears to be a strange photo/drawing composite.

Look at the front of the barrel - it appears to be a pencil or charcoal sketch, or the like.  Note the shading, the too-vertical face (see pic 2, which shows the rifle seems bent, with the angle of the butt plate much less parallel to the plane of the barrel front than it should be.  The barrel seems to droop toward the front.

Note too, that the barrel is transparent.  The line of the sleeve, markings in the coat and some bark patterns are visible through the barrel.  

The area around the front top of the comb and the front of the pistol grip seems sketched too.  They are redder and coarser than the rear of the stock, which is greener and much more detailed.  There is the more transparency - on the grip and the lever.

Similar issues with the ocular.

This is a puzzle.
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2018 at 6:01pm by SmallBoreBuyer »  

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #63 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
There ya go then. It's a rare Harry Pope glass barrel so you can just look to see if it's leading or has an obstruction, or the muzzle loaded round is fully inserted.
Or, despite, ol' Red telling us about faster film- maybe it was slow photography and the so-called balanced rifle had been supported by a helping hand, now removed by the touch up work. I want it to be the glass barrel Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #64 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
It's a cool old pic, enjoy it for that.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

SmallBoreBuyer

Reply #65 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Rebel wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 6:19pm:
It's a cool old pic, enjoy it for that.

Aaron

Why, Aaron?

The fact that it isn't just a straight photograph is interesting to me - it doesn't lessen its value, in my view.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #66 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Photographic evidence of an early ghost gun. So we can safely date this photo after June 26, 1934.

It’s clearly full auto since it empties the magazine with a single pull of the trigger. Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint