Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens Schuetzen w Palm Rest and Swiss Buttplate (Read 14753 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Stevens Schuetzen w Palm Rest and Swiss Buttplate
Reply #30 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 1:36pm:

It would seem likely that the builder would be more apt to showcase the balance.

But it would seem more likely for the owner to have a picture taken with his gun, vs. the builder.
I can see the gun maker showing the balance to the owner, but not having a photo done. Having pictures done was a bigger deal back then.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 3:35pm:
Being elevated within the Pope company so quickly, and put in charge of the plant at a young age could likely have created a sense of self worth that lasted the rest of his life.

It's certain he never suffered from an inferiority complex!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #32 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 3:45pm:

I lost track of how many times I saw Pope quoted about having a degree in engineering from MIT? In fact he wasn't an engineer and had the 2 year hands on course of training.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 3:37pm:
Dellet wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 1:36pm:

It would seem likely that the builder would be more apt to showcase the balance.

But it would seem more likely for the owner to have a picture taken with his gun, vs. the builder.
I can see the gun maker showing the balance to the owner, but not having a photo done. Having pictures done was a bigger deal back then.

It really was not what people would think. Cameras at the time were available cheaper than most rifles. So if you could afford a custom rifle, you could afford a camera and the equipment to develop the photo. This ad is from 1905 and bottom line quality. $100 would have been top tier.

All I’m saying is people with cameras have been a pain since they became affordable. If the the photo is Pope, posing for a customer makes as much sense as anything else, maybe more.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Been around enough folks in my lifetime who were by far better engineers and not having a degree than some of those who did.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 5:08pm:
Redsetter wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 3:45pm:

I lost track of how many times I saw Pope quoted about having a degree in engineering from MIT? In fact he wasn't an engineer and had the 2 year hands on course of training.

This mythical story has been repeated so many times that it's now acquired a life of its own.  For ex., Wikipedia's history of the Pope Mfg. Co. identifies Harry as having an engineering degree from MIT. And of course, anything you read on Wiki HAS to be true!

By the way, Jay Leno owns & rides a 1918 Pope motorcycle that's one of the highlights of his huge collection; it, & many other fabulous bikes, can be seen in action on Jay's You Tube channel.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Leno's collection is really quite amazing.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
My first wife's son was in the Automotive Restoration Program at McPherson College when Jay Leno made his first visit there.  Mr. Leno was impressed with the program - then the only such run by an accredited 4-year college - to the point that he endowed it heavily over the next few years.  But what was most important to a select group of McPherson students, my step-son included, was that he had them on Tonight where they talked cars and Leno shamelessly plugged McPherson; and the next day he gave them a personal tour of his collection.  The memories are still radiant over 20 years later.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 1:38am
Print Post  
bnice wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 8:43am:
Might be my eyes but the forearm looks kind of blocky and crude?

The forearm is longer than the octagon section of the barrel.
Was the barrel set back and rechambered?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #39 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 6:32pm:

It really was not what people would think. Cameras at the time were available cheaper than most rifles. So if you could afford a custom rifle, you could afford a camera and the equipment to develop the photo. This ad is from 1905 and bottom line quality. $100 would have been top tier.

All I’m saying is people with cameras have been a pain since they became affordable. If the the photo is Pope, posing for a customer makes as much sense as anything else, maybe more.

True, but portrait photos like the above weren't done with a Brownie! And although there might be some slight possibility it could be Pope, it's more likely it isn't.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #40 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 9:41am
Print Post  
BP wrote on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 1:38am:
bnice wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 8:43am:
Might be my eyes but the forearm looks kind of blocky and crude?

The forearm is longer than the octagon section of the barrel.
Was the barrel set back and rechambered?

I doubt it. I'd bet the forearm wood is new, and just built to whatever size the shooter wanted, with no concern of where the octagon ended.
Knowing the length of a Stevens 44 1/2 action, one could scale the picture and figure out pretty closely how long the barrel, octagon, and forearm all are.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 11:20am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 9:39am:
True, but portrait photos like the above weren't done with a Brownie!

Has it been out of the frame to look for a photographer's name & possibly address?  Even if the photo was made by an amateur using his own camera, the negative would have to be taken to a pro for enlargement.   

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
First, it's likely my overheated imagination, but in Randy's photo, doesn't Pope, with a dimple yet, look remarkably like Tom Selleck?

Also, to the best of my knowledge, Pope himself never claimed an MIT engineering degree.  And, yes, Pope had an ego, could be arrogant and short-tempered, etc., etc., and etc..  But as my cracker-jack machinist father, who could seemingly make or fix almost anything, often reminded me: "It isn't bragging, if you can do it."

May God have granted them both peace and rest.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #43 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Hello All !

First, thank you to all of you who have shared a thought or opinion of the photo.  Personally I don't think it's H.M. Pope no matter how much I would like it to be.

Redsetter: The second photo is of the photo itself removed from the frame.  There is no name, city, etc. written on the photo itself or even on the inside lip of the frame.  That was the only reason I removed the photo from the frame after nervously removing each nail holding it in on the backside.  I can't imagine replacing oval slightly dome glass is cheap (or possible).  The photo took on a slight curvature to the glass and cannot be scanned.  I don't know if the curvature is original and intentional of if so previous own stacked things on it.  The photo enlarged (Photo No.3) is as good as it gets.

The forearm does look very chunky.  ... and the buttstock looks non-factory Stevens also.  Granted it's not perfectly clear but the barrel doesn't show a front or rear barrel sight or open dovetails.  It could just be the angle, but the barrel looks heavy and shorter than 30"

Joe

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Joe, if my ol' eyes are not deceiving me, the photo has been touched up by somebody, way back when. (the forerunner to the often criticized photo shop). The end of the barrel and the area of the cheek piece are where it shows. Doesn't distract from a doozy of a photo, either. 
By the way, I have an even larger frame with the domed glass from my mom's collection of portraits. Ugly portrait, terrific frame. I asked and no frame shop knew where glass like that could be had. Sign shop said they might redo it in plastic. Glad I need neither, but wish I had something nice to put in there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint