Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens Schuetzen w Palm Rest and Swiss Buttplate (Read 14722 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens Schuetzen w Palm Rest and Swiss Buttplate
Reply #15 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
The deep eyes, high cheek bone, and shape of the ear look very similar to Pope.  Too bad the photo resolution and angle doesn't give little better view of his nose.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 6:55pm:
Third, my impression has always been that it was the 44 action that Harry despised; indeed, didn't he at least have a hand in developing the 44-1/2?

Wasn't merely the 44--he hated everything related to his brief employment by Stevens; even to the degree, I wouldn't be surprised, of subconsciously blaming Stevens for his disastrous odyssey out to San Fran...because if he hadn't sold his shop eqpt. to Stevens, he could have resumed work in his old Hartford shop.  Therefor, allowing himself to be photographed with any Stevens product after he had left them in such bitterness seems unlikely to me.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Usually Redsetter is at least very close to the mark if not dead on.  But his last post ... .   

First, if Harry sold all his equipment to Stevens, what did he set up shop with in 'Frisco? (And we know he did; in fact, he was set to open his new shop the day the quake hit.)

Second, even if Harry had a die-hard animus against Stevens, it would have been professionally and financially negligent of him not to use the 44-1/2 action as the basis for one of his rifles.  Or look at it this way:  Are the only Stevens actions with Pope barrels those made while Pope worked for them or before?

Hopefully, Warren Greatbatch will live long enough to finish his multi-volume Pope saga, and then you who can afford a set will finally know all the various truths about that fascinating and frustrating man.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 10:34pm:
Usually Redsetter is at least very close to the mark if not dead on.  But his last post ... .  

First, if Harry sold all his equipment to Stevens, what did he set up shop with in 'Frisco? (And we know he did; in fact, he was set to open his new shop the day the quake hit.)

Well, I may be mistaken about this, but that's what Gary Quinlan told me as the reason he didn't just go back to Hartford after the Stevens fiasco.  Not to denigrate Greatbach's crucial role in taking the "Pope project" from wishful thinking to reality, but he is the financier for this enterprise, not the historian.  (Those who know Quinlan will know what I mean.)

As for Pope's personal attitude toward his former employer, he never missed an opportunity in later writings & interviews to belittle Stevens products; that's why I say, his animus appears to go deeper than merely a failed business arrangement.
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2018 at 11:07pm by Redsetter »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
I think Harry was just an unfortunately unlucky in life perfectionist.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Perhaps Pope, after heavy and intimate exposure with and to Stevens, got tired of working on what he concluded to be a majority of one-off products.
I've known other highly talented gunsmiths who've acquired the same attitude toward Stevens that Pope had.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Might be my eyes but the forearm looks kind of blocky and crude?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #22 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 6:55pm:
First, it's a 44-1/2 action, so the photo dates at least to 1903, and maybe even later, depending on when the "kicking extractor" was introduced.  Second, the rifle seems simply but elegantly customized beyond anything that would've come out of the Stevens shop.  Third, my impression has always been that it was the 44 action that Harry despised; indeed, didn't he at least have a hand in developing the 44-1/2?

In any case, to say it again, this is one of the few period "guy with gun" photos I'd love to hang on my wall.

Bill Lawrence

Yes, Pope didn't think much of the 44 action. And I have heard that he had some input possibly on the 44 1/2, but nothing documented that I know of?
But since he left Stevens not long after the 44 1/2 came out, and was not on good terms; I still wonder why he'd pose for a picture with ANY Stevens rifle? Has nothing to do with whether he liked or disliked a particular action, and more about his feelings towards Stevens in general.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 11:14am
Print Post  
True, Vall, but this isn't a Stevens rifle but a rifle built with some Stevens components.  In other words, my experience with crafts people, and Harry Pope was a supreme one, is that their pride rests in the final product, not the components (which, after all, aren't used unless they are worthy of the task).

So, again, did Pope never build, rebarrel, or rerifle a gun in New Jersey that had a Stevens action?  Or mount a Stevens scope? Or reuse a Stevens stock, lever, palm rest, buttplate, tang sight, etc.?

Also, it's news to me that Greatbatch is only the financier of the Pope project.  I thought he was the man with all the records.  If not, who does have them?  Who is doing all the research, etc.?  Whose name(s) should really be on the books produced so far and, hopefully, yet to come?

Bill Lawrence
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2018 at 11:20am by Bill Lawrence »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #24 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
It's not a case of whether Pope would build a barrel for a customer's Stevens rifle. Or whether he thought the Stevens 44 1/2 was a good action. It's his relationship to Stevens, and how it ended. 
Whether Pope would make a buck off doing customer work or not isn't in question. But whether he'd be willing to pose with a Stevens rifle (custom built or not) is questionable. I'd think he'd be more likely to pose with his personal rifle, and that wasn't a Stevens. 
Not sure about Warren Greatbatch's personal level of involvement in the HM Pope books? But my understanding is all of Roderick's info gathered during his life was turned over to the ASSRA archives. I'd assume Greatbatch, or whoever did research for the Pope books accessed Roderick's ASSRA research. The dedication on the inside of his two volume set of Hartford Pope books is to Roderick, and states that Roderick's records were on loan to ASSRA for the use of all ASSRA members.
The list of main contributors to the book (beyond Greatbatch and Rowe) are Gary Quinlan (historian), Randy Wright (artist), Dennis Hrusosky (consulting collector), David Westbrook (photographer), and a huge list of individuals too numerous to add here.
I hate to assume anything, but would guess that Warren and Tom assembled the books based on Roderick's records mainly, and then input from all the others named in the dedication. I hadn't heard Warren was just a financier?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #25 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 10:34pm:

Bill Lawrence

Supposedly Pope used his payout from Stevens when they bought his contract out to finance the move to San Francisco, and purchase new equipment. Of course Pope built his own rifling machines, so I'd guess he would purchase material in SF and build there also. 
But Ray Smith says he got his shop totally set up, as he was only there long enough to rent a space and finish setting up when the earthquake took his shop and everything in it.
He didn't return to Hartford for multiple reasons. Foremost being that he was broke. He took a job with Sidle building scopes to get by, but did not get along well there. He eventually was loaned funds by friends and acquaintances, and began his trek back East. He contacted Schoyen about setting up a partnership, but Schoyen had no need for more help. 
When he eventually arrived back East, he was estranged from his wife and family in Ct., so was given a space rent free in the Colgate building in Jersey City to set up his business. That business was financed again by friends, and he never prospered in barrel making again in his life. He made his last barrel in 1937, and none after that.
It's said that Pope's family found correspondence with a woman from San Francisco after his death, and concluded his move there after leaving his family was based on that relationship, or hope of a relationship?
Most of his personal letters were destroyed by the family after his death. He never had a good relationship with his children, but towards the end seems to have developed a bit of communication with his son Allen, according to people who knew him, and comments Allen Pope made later.
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:23pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:01pm:
It's his relationship to Stevens, and how it ended.

Exactly.  To shift blame to others for our own mistakes, miscalculations, other errors of judgment, is a basic human psychological tendency.  I think that Pope's irrationally hateful attitude toward Stevens resulted from his conviction that "all his troubles began" with his involvement with Stevens.  This may be true chronologically, but it was his own inflexible personality that doomed the possibility of an harmonious business relationship with Stevens.  Maybe some Stevens exec gave him an exaggerated idea of the autonomy he'd be granted in Stevens' shop, but what he should have realized is that, when you began taking a paycheck from a huge company, you no longer call the shots. 

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:17pm:
He took a job with Sidle building scopes to get by, but did not get along well there.

He couldn't get along with anybody in any sort of joint business venture.  Read that pathetic letter he wrote to Niedner after the Frisco fiasco, more or less begging to go into partnership with him...which Niedner had the good sense to decline. 

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
I don’t think people were ever all that different through time, only the ease of documenting things.

If that’s the owner of the rifle, he was proud and wanted the photo. 

If that’s the craftsman that built the rifle, it’s quite possible the owner requested the photo. That can be hard to say no to.

It would seem likely that the builder would be more apt to showcase the balance.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #29 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:49pm:
marlinguy wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:17pm:
He took a job with Sidle building scopes to get by, but did not get along well there.

He couldn't get along with anybody in any sort of joint business venture.  Read that pathetic letter he wrote to Niedner after the Frisco fiasco, more or less begging to go into partnership with him...which Niedner had the good sense to decline. 

I think by that time Pope's reputation for not getting along had proceeded him, and probably why Niedner and Schoyen both rejected his offer to partner up. It could never have ended well. 
I also think that some of Pope's attitude stems back to him being orphaned and taken in by his uncle. Being elevated within the Pope company so quickly, and put in charge of the plant at a young age could likely have created a sense of self worth that lasted the rest of his life.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint