Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 44 rf roller range report (Read 3027 times)
Gunfunpow

44 rf roller range report
Oct 18th, 2018 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
As posted by me previously, I have a nice original sporting roller that I had thought about converting to cf. Most folks here said to leave it be and shoot it with 44rf cases from DGW. So, I got cases, 22 primer shells, round balls correctly sized for bore diameter and some 3f black. Went to friends place in Maine, put target at fifty yds. Sights were difficult to pick up, the day was bright sun, no wind. Five shots were all over the target, friend tried, same result. Moved target closer, about twenty five yards, best group was four inches. We both agreed the sights were too fine, the rear aperture is too small, as is the front bead. Chambering, extraction, set trigger operation were all excellent. Plus, shooting an original roller is the best! Reloading the spent shells is a major PITA!!! So, what I'm wondering is, should I install a modern tang sight and a lyman 17 to get a better sight picture, or is a four inch group normal for these jury rigged rf loads?

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 44 rf roller range report
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Any particular reason you are using round balls instead of the proper bullet?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
I'd say a 4" group at 50 yds. with round balls would be very good. But I agree that a proper sized grease groove bullet will likely cut those groups in half. 
The PITA of dealing with those adapter cases is what made me convert mine. It's not original anymore, but I shoot it a whole lot more, and much more accurately.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
I used the round balls cause they were sourced locally. Since I'm still kind of thinking about converting, I didn't want to invest in a proper bullet mould. As Marlinguy says, those rimfire shells are a royal pain to reload. Anyways, I was more curious about the sighting situation and what to do there.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
You might try adding a drop of day-glo orange paint to the bead in the globe of the Beach sight and using the V notch. Doesn't someone like Buffalo Arms have a box of bullets you could get?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
GAD Custom Loading sells the correct .44 Rem. heeled bullets for this gun. .429" heel and a .451" major diameter. $11 per 100.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Vall, was the rf rolling block chambered for the 44 Rem (a cf?) or the 44 Henry rf? The Henry was a .446 or .440, 200 grain or 216 grain. Gunpowfun, what is your rifle's groove size? Old West Bullet Moulds has a .44 Henry flat 200gr .440"dia bullet 418"dia heel double cavity mould if the groove size is .440.
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2018 at 12:44am by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 10:17am
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 12:31am:
Vall, was the rf rolling block chambered for the 44 Rem (a cf?) or the 44 Henry rf? The Henry was a .446 or .440, 200 grain or 216 grain. Gunpowfun, what is your rifle's groove size? Old West Bullet Moulds has a .44 Henry flat 200gr .440"dia bullet 418"dia heel double cavity mould if the groove size is .440.

They were chambered for the more common .44 Long Wesson or Ballard. But that bullet listed as the ".44 Rem." should be a good fit for the bore, and case.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Or for a mould, maybe this one: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the bullet suggestions, it's much appreciated. I know I'll break a lot of hearts here, but I decided to send this off and convert it to 40-65. It will be accurate, more enjoyable and easier to shoot. The bore on this rifle is not in good shape, so my mind's made up. Also, MVA sights carries a replica rear sight like the one shown above with three different aperture discs. Now I'll just need to find a properly sized front sight and it will be a great rifle for range and field. Thanks again for all your comments, they're very helpful.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Sure wont break my heart that you're making it more usable. And the .40-65 is a good choice too. Might not be a period caliber for Rolling Blocks, but it's easy to buy brass, components, and dies for. And it does well at very long distances with the right twist rate and bullet.
But you'll want to get some good sights for accurate shooting at anything over 100 yds. Probably need the tang D&T for a good tang sight too.

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #11 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Thanks for your words of support marlinguy, I totally agree. I might start a new thread regarding tang sights for original rollers as that's an unknown area for me. Maybe for others here as well.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
1.937" spacing. The Lee Shaver Economy Soule would work well, and at $225 be a good sight. If you get into really serious competition you'd want a MVA, Baldwin, or Kelley Soule.

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #13 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the sight suggestion marlinguy, I don't anticipate going to Raton to compete, just here at the local range. They have 200 and 300 yard shoots.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint