Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Which Cartridge? Low recoil, breech seatable (Read 8761 times)
SmallBoreBuyer

Which Cartridge? Low recoil, breech seatable
Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Hello All,

I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a CPA, and am finalizing cartridge selection.

I want low recoil and breech seatability.

CPA offers tapered throats in a limited range of cartridges. Do I need this for breech seating?

In any case, I am thinking of a 25-21, 25-20, 32-20, and the like.  CPA is touting the 32-20 CPA, but I remember reading that it is a frustrating cartridge.

I am open to insights to help guide the decision.

TIA

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Which Cartridge? Low recoil, breech seatable
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
I like the 32-20 WCF. Accurate, no recoil, and fun. I have a tapered bullet mould from Accurate Molds that shoots very well. From what I've read the CPA version is meant to drive the bullet at the velocity of the 32-40 which means higher pressure in the smaller case and uses the larger diameter bullets. The 32-40 seems to be the cartridge to go to in Schuetzen matches but others will have to speak to that.

JS

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
TIA
Are you intending to shoot your CPA mainly bench rest or offhand? And, just how do you define "low recoil?"
The reason I ask about recoil is one of the cartridges you are contemplating, 32-20, as chambered by CPA is a rifle cartridge intended for heavier .32 caliber bullets such as 180 - 210 grains and even heavier. That puts that cartridge in the league of 32-40. Not that the 32-40 would be considered heavy recoil though.
The 25-21 Stevens and 25-20 SS would have essentially the same recoil but 25-20 brass will be less costly.
Best of luck on your cartridge choice.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 2:57am
Print Post  
I think EVERYONE should have a 32/40, as a first rifle. Easiest way to get started with a accurate rifle. In our sport, not many do as well with a 25/20. Recoil isn't a issue, even with the heavier bullets, when using a #4 barrel.

After you get settled in the sport, you can branch out, into other calibers, having experience and knowing what these rifles are capable of along with the little things that make them shoot.

Also EVERYONE should have more than one of these rifles Smiley

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 9:59am
Print Post  
And the .32-40 is really not that much more recoil at the power levels most shooters use for schuetzen. But it is more versatile than smaller capacity cases. With the tighter twist rates available from CPA the .32-40 can handle a variety bullets that will be inherently more accurate than the others too.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SmallBoreBuyer

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 11:10am
Print Post  
I guess "low recoil" isn't super clear.

I am looking for a rifle that will shoot lighter bullets, accurately, to say, 200 yards.

I am open to 22 calibers, as well.  Are any of the 22 straight-walled cartridges amenable to breech seating?

Any Maynard XL or 22 CCM insights?

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 11:32am
Print Post  
.22 Hornet could certainly be breech seated.
Light bullet accuracy at 200 yards would be highly dependent on range conditions. Without knowing your accuracy expectations, it's hard to make a good cartridge recommendation. With a .22 Hornet shooting light cast bullets, it's going to be a challenge to get anything close to minute of angle at 200 yards if there is any wind at all. This is of course, my opinion.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

SmallBoreBuyer

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
As accurate at 200 as a fine 22LR would be sufficient.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
The 22 Hornet can be extremely competitive at 200yds. Breech Seated as has been proven by Barry Darr. The real problem is not being able to see the bullet holes and the real challenge more so than the wind. His avg. velocity at over 2100 FPS puts the wind drift close to being comprobale to that of the 32-40. Barry has spent several years working specificaly with the 22 Hornet in conjunction with his Ohler 43 Ballistic system and has collected a mountain of data including chamber pressures. What he has been able to accomplish with the 22 Hornet has truly been remarkable and the information collected priceless. Below is just one example of the Ohler Ballistic system results that I hope he does not mind me sharing. If the OP is interested in chambering to the 22 Hornet I would highly recommend he try reaching out to him. Bottom picture shows his bench setup and the wires you see along side the barrel are going to the strain guauge also collecting pressure data and the rifle as you can see is CPA.

JLouis
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:54pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

SmallBoreBuyer

Reply #9 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
This is fascinating!

I will reach out to Barry.

Thanks so much,

John

JLouis wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:46pm:
The 22 Hornet can be extremely competitive at 200yds. Breech Seated as has been proven by Barry Darr. The real problem is not being able to see the bullet holes and the real challenge more so than the wind. His avg. velocity at over 2100 FPS puts the wind drift close to being comprobale to that of the 32-40. Barry has spent several years working specificaly with the 22 Hornet in conjunction with his Ohler 43 Ballistic system and has collected a mountain of data including chamber pressures. What he has been able to accomplish with the 22 Hornet has truly been remarkable and the information collected priceless. Below is just one example of the Ohler Ballistic system results that I hope he does not mind me sharing. If the OP is interested in chambering to the 22 Hornet I would highly recommend he try reaching out to him. Bottom picture shows his bench setup and the wires you see along side the barrel are going to the strain guauge also collecting pressure data and the rifle as you can see is CPA.

JLouis

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
SmallBoreBuyer wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:22pm:
As accurate at 200 as a fine 22LR would be sufficient.

The 22RF can also be breech seated and do very well at 200 yards. I've been BSing the 22RF for 28 years.

In reality, any cartridge can be BSed in any action. I BS a Rem 40X, in 300 Savage, long neck, too.

If you go below the 25/20, you will have a LOT of homework to do in getting your rifle to shoot, as you describe above.

A "fine" 22RF will out shoot the majority of 25 cal rifles, with the exception of a few notable, competitive shooters. 

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
JL, Is that a can full of gas checks on the bench below the rifle?  I have wondered about using them as z WAC in high velocity plain base apications.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
You are very welcome SBBuyer and something a bit more substantial for you to look at that I had hoped would be a bit more helpful to you while still in the process of trying make your decision and I wish you the best. 

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Bob Z the bullets are plainbase and the can simply cork wads in lieu of floral foam.

JLouis

IP Logged

SmallBoreBuyer

Reply #14 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Nice picture of Barry.

I wonder if the barbed wire is electrified

« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2018 at 2:24pm by SmallBoreBuyer »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2