Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Remington Hepburn followed me home (Read 8981 times)
Oldman1950

Remington Hepburn followed me home
Oct 6th, 2018 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
I won an auction at the September Rock Island Auction. A Remington Hepburn in 32-40 Ballard (Winchester). A week before the auction I asked the auction what the bore condition was and the reply was "Ruff and Dark". I figured if I won the auction I could always get it relined or replaced.
Well almost a month later it showed up at my door. I removed it from the shipping box and was surprised the overall condition was much better than expected. Original finish was in good condition and the checkering was 98%. The case colors on the receiver has turned brown but no pitting. Looking down the bore I saw DARK & RUFF. A trip out to my shop with brushes and patches in hand along with some JB Bore compound and after a hours work I found that the DARK & RUFF was old hardened grease. I must have been a good boy lately as the bore is a 9.5 out of a 10. Bright and shiny.  The twist of the rifling is 1:16. I slugged the bore and measured the bore at .318 and the groves at .325. A quick call to NOE Bullet Molds and a mold is on its way to me. The bluing was listed at 20% but with some 4f steel wool and thin oil and about 15 minutes of rubbing that 20% turn out to be 50%. Dried oil and dirt.
OK how about the mechanics of the rifle? I pulled the action apart and what a surprise. The front of the breech block had no pitting and the firing pin is in good condition and of the small type. Cleaning and oiling I put the action back together and I have a clean and crisp trigger pull of 1 & 1/2 lbs. I must have been a VERY VERY  good boy.
The barrel has been drilled for scope blocks at some time in it's past but the spacing isn't right for an Unertl. The rear block holes are correct but I will have to drill new holes for the front block.
I will return and keep you informed as to the progress with this rifle after I get everything together and shooting

Link to the auction listing
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Bullet I slugged the bore with and a print of the bullet mold I ordered.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Remington Hepburn followed me home
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Yes, indeed, you must have been a good, good boy. Good job.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
why not make a scope block to fit the holes instead of redrilling the barrel   art

IP Logged

Oldman1950

Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
the spacing of the drilled holes in the barrel are 10.5"
I need 7.25"

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Nine inch spacing was also quite common for those who wanted a finer adjustment than 1/4 minute. Might not work for your application but it would be fine for a Unertl or Lyman Supertarget spot having used the nine inch spacing in the past myself. Also congratulations on your purchase it does indeed seem like you received quite a bit more than you were expecting and quite refreshing.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
I'd certainly mount up a scope and try the present spacing before I added more holes.
That's a great looking Hepburn in the auction pictures.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Myself I prefer the finer resolution the wider spacing gives. IMO for bench its a lot nicer than 1/2" clicks at 200 yds. Nice buy, go get a lotto ticket.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Seems to me I recall that the 10.5 " spacing makes for
a good matchup with the 3/4" wide spacing of the rings on
the std 200 yard German Schuetzen/ISSA/ASSRA target.
My A.O.Zischang Ballard( that I reluctantly sold because of the right handed deep cheekpiece stock( I am left handed) .22 had both the 7.2 and the 10.5"
Spacing for scope blocks. 
Indeed, try it like it is before drilling more holes
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Oct 6th, 2018 at 6:49pm:
I'd certainly mount up a scope and try the present spacing before I added more holes.
That's a great looking Hepburn in the auction pictures.

+1. Once you got a setting for the standard distances (100yd, 200yd, etc.) you don't really care about what's in between. If you do you can make a few calc's and figure out the adjustment. Fewer holes is definitely better on great looking old rifle like the one you got.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Oldman1950

Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
I have a set of scope blocks that I mounted on the Hepburn using the existing holes (10.5") and my Mitchell scopes (2" and a 2 1/2") just will not fit. The tube length is not long enough.  I also have a 1 1/2" Unertl and it is long enough to work but is only 10 power. My old worn out body will not let me shoot offhand anymore so all my shooting these days is off the bench at 100 & 200 yds. WHAT a dilemma!!!
I need another scope as much as I need Chuck Schumer to be my friend. So I am afraid that I will have to add 2 more 6-48 holes to the barrel.

P.S. I have to add that I am spoiled with my Mitchell scopes. Old eyes need all the help they can get.

A. J. Palik

IP Logged

57thahc

Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
WAIT A MINUTE!!! Roll Eyes ISN'T That MY HEPBURN CryNO ? Glad your good deal got better. Got my Kessler-Martini action  Cooland it is a great deal, attach barrel,finish Stock,load 32-40 lead and zap 
Coyotes to break it in. Great and safe shooting.  Dick Stack 57thahc

Turned in my M60 for a Martini!

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Maybe Steve Earl could make you a long front block that extends farther to the rear?

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Quick picture of a rifle with rather random spaced holes.
Same idea could be used.
Chuck

IP Logged

Oldman1950

Reply #13 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
After much thought I decided not to drill more holes in the barrel and make a scope adapter. I went to Tractor Supply and bought a 3' piece of 1/2" x 1/2" hot rolled steel. Not the metal I wanted to work with but 12L14 cost a arm and a leg and I am cheep so---. After about 8 hours I finished the project. I had the screws in the shop and blued it with Brownells Oxpho blue. I hate to think what a gunsmith would have cost me.

Next project is to make a breach seated for the Hepburn.
A. J. Palik
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2018 at 6:11pm by Oldman1950 »  

IP Logged

DWT1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
A.J. , You are very skilled in my opinion. That scope adapter looks real nice.  Dale.

35th Security Police Squadron, Phan Rang AB, RVN, May 70-71.
All gave some, some gave all.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint