Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Adolph Toepperwein renown Texas exhibition shooter (Read 3378 times)
830singleshot
Senior Forum Member

Adolph Toepperwein renown Texas exhibition shooter
Oct 4th, 2018 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
If you have never heard of him, it's worth a few minutes time to read the article by Col. Charles Askins(see link).

Somewhere, I have a folder with a great many pictures of them.  When I find them, I will  post them as well.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Enjoy

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 1928 KB | 24 Downloads )

J. Scott McCash&&New Braunfels, TX&&830-237-2376&&jsmccash@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Adolph Toepperwein renown Texas exhibition shooter
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Leroy Merz happens to have one of his many guns for sale right now; at a Leroy Merz price, needless to say.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Fifty some years ago, a fellow I knew slightly (by way of him being an avid trapshooter) recounted seeing Ad and Plinky put on an exhibition in the 1920s.  He was also kind enough to give me a brochure advertising the show AND one of the Winchester "coins" that were thrown in the air for Ad to put a dent in, and which my surprising benefactor had searched quite a long time for.  I would have given much to have been able to have seen the Toepperweins shoot!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Good history video:

Film of them shooting

Aaron
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2018 at 10:05pm by Rebel »  

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 3:43am
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Oct 4th, 2018 at 8:50pm:
Fifty some years ago, a fellow I knew slightly (by way of him being an avid trapshooter) recounted seeing Ad and Plinky put on an exhibition in the 1920s.  He was also kind enough to give me a brochure advertising the show AND one of the Winchester "coins" that were thrown in the air for Ad to put a dent in, and which my surprising benefactor had searched quite a long time for.  I would have given much to have been able to have seen the Toepperweins shoot!

Bill Lawrence

I wonder if they used a rifle or some kind of shot load on those coins?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 11:56am
Print Post  
As a young kid my dad took me to see Colonel Larson, who was Marlin's factory trick shooter. I was infatuated with his ability to not just shoot accurately, but to do a lot of amazing shots. I got his autographed picture, and still have it in a footlocker of old memorabilia.
When I began collecting Marlin firearms I did more research into Colonel Larson, and discovered he'd been a star athlete in high school, but was stricken with polio about the same time. During his recovery he did a lot of therapy, and as part of his therapy he began shooting guns to get his mechanical skills back. He became so good at it that his expertise lead to doing demonstrations, and eventually a job with Marlin doing his routine, and promoting Marlin firearms.
A couple decades ago I was digging through boxes of old photographs my dad had taken, and discovered pictures he'd taken the day we watched Colonel Larson's exhibition! I was pleasantly surprised to find them, and along with the pictures was a big poster that looks like something they would post on a window or telephone pole. Pretty neat collection of memorabilia for the Colonel.
Glad my dad kept it all together!

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 1:42pm
Print Post  

The man who gave me the coin said Toepperwein used a rifle and as the coin itself - which I still proudly have - displays a single serious dent nearly dead center, I'd say that Toepperwein, like Oakley, didn't stoop to shot loads.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
In the Wild West Shows, shot loads were used when shooting inside marquees to minimise damage. It is easy to disparage the shooting because of this, but the spread from a 44-40 shot load at 20yds or so is only a few inches. 
Ed McGivern used cast hollow based wadcutters and had a press set up on the running board of his car for the public to see the ammo loaded. The Topperweins worked for Winchester and used factory ammo---so no light target loads.
Fred

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Topperwein's in the Boerne Schützenverein;

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Great photo!  But the caption says "Paul", not "Ad" or "Adolph".  Ad's brother?  Is Ad in the front row and not named?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Oct 6th, 2018 at 1:42pm:

The man who gave me the coin said Toepperwein used a rifle and as the coin itself - which I still proudly have - displays a single serious dent nearly dead center, I'd say that Toepperwein, like Oakley, didn't stoop to shot loads.

Bill Lawrence

Thanks for the info ,Bill.  I shot aspirin bottles when I was a kid with a .22.  My buddy couldn't hit a gallon jug thrown in the air so he looked for the smallest thing he could find for me Grin.  Good thing he couldn't afford to throw up coins.  I doubt I could have hit them  Undecided

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint