Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic de Haas Miller trigger (Read 1592 times)
oregonian
Participating Member

de Haas Miller trigger
Oct 2nd, 2018 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
I recently purchased my first falling block rifle.  It is a Miller, chambered in Miller short with RKS gain twist. I am having problems with my trigger not cocking. If I gently pull back on the trigger shoe as I pull the lever down, it cocks every time. If I do not gently pull back on the trigger shoe it will not cock.  I disassembled the  breech block, cleaned everything with carb cleaner and reassembled.I did not touch any of the trigger adjustment screws afraid of really screwing something up. I still have the same problem. This is the 3 screw adjustment trigger. I have very little experience with this and could use some help. Thank you

IP Logged

Obsidian

Re: de Haas Miller trigger
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Apparently both Frank DeHaas and Dean Miller wrote about this action.  Frank DeHaas gives details and a cut-away drawing of the action in his book "Single Shot Actions, Their Design and Construction".  Dean Miller wrote "The DeHaas-Miller Single Shot Action".  Both books are currently out of print.
      Patent drawings are not so great, but the patent does describe how the parts of the action work.  The patent number for the DeHaas-Miller action is 3,735,517  That patent can be found here:  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

oregonian
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the info.  The drawings do help a lot. After having everything apart, the drawings put everything in prospective.  I corrected my trigger problem by increasing the trigger pull a little.

IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
this is advice I got from Jeff Schultz,  the Miller whisperer.

"The front screw is the trigger spring; turning it out will give less tension. The middle screw is for over-travel; turning it in is less over-travel. The rear screw is the sear engagement; in is less."

too little trigger pull is not good.  I think you figured that out.

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint