Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Schoyen chambers (Read 7009 times)
Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Schoyen chambers
Reply #15 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
desert-dude wrote on Sep 24th, 2018 at 10:50am:
Redsetter, et al. 
Did I miss something; that seeking the truth however unpopular is not the right way to go.

Apparently you did miss something. You haven't been paying close enough attention to certain discussions on this board, otherwise you'd know the answer: where widely accepted beliefs are concerned, the ones that make their way into well respected books, "seeking the truth," or seeking the original sources for what's commonly regarded as the truth, is not encouraged. 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #16 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Sep 24th, 2018 at 11:41am:

Ron Long, the man who fixed all of Dutchers Ballards and many others, cut Schoyen style rifling. Ron also used the old original size bores. I have observed four different rifling styles in Darr barrels. One was left hand twist. 

Ron Long may have done some of Dutcher's repair work, but certainly not all of it. John told me himself that he wouldn't let anyone but Russ Gent touch a Ballard for him.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #17 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
desert-dude wrote on Sep 24th, 2018 at 10:50am:
Redsetter, et al. 
Did I miss something; that seeking the truth however unpopular is not the right way to go. Google did dig up some interesting quotes and an assertion that the Mark Twain quote on truth (2nd quote) can't not be relied on as his. 

Opinions are one thing but provability is far more difficult. 

Upton Sinclair wrote this, that "It's difficult to get a man to understand something if his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Mark Twain — 'Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.' 

Mark Twain - “What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so."

Just my tuppence.

Seeking the truth is a good thing, but maybe tougher sometimes than others. Sometimes you have to add up the preponderance of evidence and make an educated guess based on all of it. Most would say that's a pretty good method, while some may never believe a fair amount evidence unless it is all 100% documented. 
In the case of an unmarked barrel, I'm not sure there will ever be enough evidence to confirm a Schoyen barreled gun? He put no other mark on his guns or barrels, so unlike a Pope barrel you can't look under  the forearm for special markings. I would still look under the forearm of such a barrel, but wouldn't get my hopes up.
It's a bit easier to determine if a Schoyen barreled gun was just fitted with his barrel, or all the work was done at Schoyen's shop. I see far more single shots with Schoyen barrels than I see complete guns with his barrel, Simmons stocks (Schoyen's in house stock maker), and other Schoyen features. Schoyen and Simmons work was so distinctive in it's style, that it's very easy to tell when they didn't do the whole gun vs. just the barrel.
Two of my three are simply Schoyen barreled guns, vs. complete Schoyen rifles.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
I believe John Dutcher has had Russ Gent do work for him when Ron left Ballard Rifle Co. and ceased to do gun work. That is not to say that Russ doesn't do wonderful work, just that if Ron were still doing gun work, John would be still be using him. This is just my opinion having known both John and Ron for a very long time.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
When anything is of value it is often times also faked. I have heard of a fellow putting Winchester Roll Stamps on new barrels and then claiming them to be originals in pristine condition. When the barrel maker found out he refused to sell anymore blanks to him.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Sep 24th, 2018 at 3:09pm:
I have heard of a fellow putting Winchester Roll Stamps on new barrels and then claiming them to be originals in pristine condition.

Sonny France?  But there are plenty of others doing the same, esp. on Winchesters.   

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Something that I brought up earlier, that no one addressed, is what I assume is a set screw mark.

Since Peterson took over from Schoyen, did both Schoyen and Peterson use this, in their barrel making?

My mark is 5 5/8 ahead of the action face or 6 1/8 from the breech.

What is the story, regarding this mark on either Peterson or Schoyen barrels?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #22 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Sep 24th, 2018 at 4:00pm:
Something that I brought up earlier, that no one addressed, is what I assume is a set screw mark.

Since Peterson took over from Schoyen, did both Schoyen and Peterson use this, in their barrel making?

My mark is 5 5/8 ahead of the action face or 6 1/8 from the breech.

What is the story, regarding this mark on either Peterson or Schoyen barrels?

Frank

Sorry I didn't see your mention of this "setscrew" mark before Frank? Unsure what it is, but I just pulled the forearms off my three Schoyen Ballard rifles and only one of the three has that mark. The other two have no marks at all.
But I saw something on the #6 Schuetzen/Schoyen I own that surprised me. Schoyen normally finished off his barrels pretty nicely under the forearm, even though the area was hidden by the forearm. But my #6 has extremely coarse milling marks under the forearm wood, while the others are smooth like yours. 
The one that has the "setscrew" mark is very nicely finished, and even though the barrel has been refinished the mark still shows well.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Vall,
Thank you for checking that.

I would sure like to know, exactly what, on the rifling or boring machine made thoughs marks.

I would assume (we all know what that means) that they only show up on re-rifled barrels, because on a new one, it would/should be draw filed off.

Did you happen to measure the distance from the breech, that your mark appears?

Again, thanks,

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #24 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 11:54am
Print Post  
I'm not sure I'd agree that the mark would show on re-rifled barrels only? I have no reason to believe mine was re-rifled, and not sure how the mark or caliber would lead to that?
Mine is a .32-40 caliber, and the mark is 5.25" from the leading edge of the receiver on my Ballard. It is 7 13/16" from the chamber end of the barrel.
Not having much in the way of machine shop skills, I couldn't guess what made the mark, or why it's not on all Schoyen barrels? 
I need to remove the forearm on the #6 Schuetzen again, and take a picture of the rough barrel under the forearm. It looks like a wood rasp it's so rough!

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
My only guess, regarding the mark, is that, since it is a heavy mark, that it was what they used to secure the barrel, in the rifling machine.

My was diffidently re-bored, as it has the Stevens markings and still marked 32/40.

I was a little skeptical about it's Provence, when I first got it. It diffidently has the Schoyen/Peterson rifling but when I measured the twist, at 15, I thought that it might have been a more modern re-bore, as I knew the standard 38 twist is 18. Now that I know that the standard Schoyen/Peterson twist is 15, I'm more assured.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #26 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Does yours have any Schoyen or AW Peterson rollstamp Frank? Having not seen any rebores by Schoyen or Peterson, I'm unsure how or if they were marked?
I have seen Schoyen barrels that were relined by Peterson to .22RF and had both Schoyen, and AW Peterson markings on the barrel. So I would guess that AW Peterson would have marked any rebores he did? But unsure if Schoyen would remark a Stevens barrel he bored and re-rifled?
I wonder why a rebored barrel would be held in his rifling machine any different than a newly bored barrel? I looked at the picture of Schoyen's rifling machine on page 348 of Dutcher's book and can't see how the barrel is secured in it? But what I can see is it's held at the ends of the barrel, and not down 5" or so. So not sure how the 5" mark got there on some barrels?

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Vall,
My barrel has no markings, just the rifling style and "mark" is all that it has. When I bought it, it was said that was a indicator of a Peterson barrel. Schoyen wasn't mentioned. There are no other markings or Provence, at all on my barrel. It's a good looking #4 barrel, inside and out and I had a 44 1/2 action to put it on. It timed up right but, took a lot more torque that a original barrel would so, I'm sure it was set back, one thread to do that. 

At this point, the best I can say about it, is that it is a Schoyen/Peterson type barrel, not of new manufacture.

The reason I'm saying that rebores would more likely have the mark, is because a new barrel, would be rifled, before finishing the outside.

I'll take a look at the rifling machine, when I get off the computer.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

P1

Reply #28 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Redsetter summed it up perfectly.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Agree looks, feels and smells right is really just hopeful thinking. I currently have an unmarked barrel that meets the same criteria sitting in my safe but it would be a stretch to attach a makers name to it and to then sell it as such. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint