Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) side plate stevens (Read 4618 times)
airgun39
Participating Member

side plate stevens
Sep 20th, 2018 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Hi, been awhile, Stopped at a garage sale last weekend and there was a Stevens .25 r.f. marked Favorite, it looked different than several that I had owned before. It dawned on me that it was a fairly rare small frame side plate and it resides with me now. I can't find much info though, looked at DeHass and Grant but that's all I can find. ser. no. in the 400 range, central extractor, 1885 pat. date, no finish on barrel but lettering intact, old stock repair and stock screws missing, action seems to be fine. any info would be great, Thanks BT

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: side plate stevens
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Fantastic discovery, but don't think you'll find better info than what Grant provided in More, & Still More, SS Rifles.

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Airgun,

I bought one off of the internet several months ago, also in 25 Stevens RF.  I think you will find it is a seven o'clock extractor, if not, it would be very unusual.  Mine is s/n 47x with the s/n inside of the metal buttplate  one number off, and the buttstock doesn't fit well, the assembly must have got switched.    It has a Beech front sight, a simple rear sight on the round barrel and evidence that a tang sight was removed.  The bore looks very shootable, but the local gunshop seems to be out of ammo.

I also have a favorite, serial 45xx with English proofs and threaded for a silencer.  They make a great pair.  The highest small side plate known to me is s/n 2770.

Congratulations,     James Hays

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
coljimmy wrote on Sep 20th, 2018 at 6:21pm:
...the local gunshop seems to be out of ammo.

At least $1/round, IF you can find them.

IP Logged

airgun39
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
It would appear that yours and mine were produced along side one another, But mine has a center hung extractor for sure.

IP Logged

airgun39
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
I looked at that extractor again and it is pivoted on the finger lever screw and the finger lever is slotted to accept it. the pivot area of the extractor is visible in the finger lever with the action closed. I'll have to look inside for signs of alteration, possible? HELP

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Pictures, please!

<div class=

IP Logged

airgun39
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 8:59am
Print Post  
I can't seem to load the pics, I'm an analog

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Decent shape.  Fine candidate for lining to .22RF.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
I wouldn’t line a Side Plate in any condition resembling a rifle.  Plenty of junk Favorites around for that, and you could probably trade your Side Plate for five of them that didn’t need relining at all.

Could you show us the action opened?  The central extractor didn’t show up, IIRC, until the late Nineties, when the 94 Favorite frame got the rounded fillet at the corner.

I’ve never tried it, but it might just be possible that a later Favorite lever and extractor could drop into the Side Plate.  However, a new recess at the bottom of the barrel would have to be cut to fit such a mod.  The breech block would have to be drastically changed as well.

On the other hand, with Stevens, all things are possible. Grin

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Bent_Ramrod wrote on Sep 21st, 2018 at 2:16pm:
On the other hand, with Stevens, all things are possible.

Especially because, with this entirely new model, it would not be surprising if the design team was experimenting with different mechanical features to find out which worked best or were easiest to mfg.  The early replacement of this model with the 1894 model indicates Stevens was never fully committed to the sideplate design.

IP Logged

airgun39
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
I'm going to look inside for signs of alteration, I have no plans of altering this fire arm, not that I haven't chopped some up in the past. I usually build my own from billet out of modern materials, I'll get a pic of that extractor, I posted the last one by accident, maybe I'll get lucky again, Thanks all

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
After looking at hundreds of small frame favorites on on line auctions and dozens in person, it is obvious that Stevens was in an intermittent state of flux, a parts department nightmare.  The different types of extractors, 7 and six o'clock, wide narrow, different calibers, and finally with a kicker all point to frequent experimentation.  Changes in management and ownership during the favorite's production may have created changes also.  There was more chrome on a 54 chevy than on a 53 - oops, I dated myself.

James

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 22nd, 2018 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
There was more chrome on a 54 chevy than on a 53 - oops, I dated myself.

That was good honest chrome back then, instead of the PChrome we get these days.    Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Sep 22nd, 2018 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Go to shrinkpictures, get it below 1000 pixels, or whatever they call it, follow the Attachment instructions and make sure you don’t Preview your post, just post it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint