Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens 44 1/2 half clock question (Read 5126 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Stevens 44 1/2 half clock question
Reply #15 - Sep 19th, 2018 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Sep 19th, 2018 at 12:02am:

That would include about 75% of those in the field  Shocked  Too bad most of them would be doing it routinely when not excited  Embarrassed

Some people never get over buck fever, but still don't have accidents. They just don't stop getting excited and forget to breath, or hold steady. 
My niece's husband has hunted with us for decades, and I can't keep track of all the deer he's missed over those years. He shoots well at the range, but get him on game and he falls to pieces.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #16 - Sep 19th, 2018 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
There is certainly nothing wrong with a rifle going to full cock when loading, it makes for a quicker seconds shot. All you have to do is lower it to half cock if your not going to shoot at that moment. 
Lee Gibbs

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Sep 19th, 2018 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Sep 19th, 2018 at 12:02am:
That would include about 75% of those in the field   Too bad most of them would be doing it routinely when not excited 

You may be right, but if so that's a MIGHTY sad commentary on the quality of American hunters.  Even when I WAS 15 or 16, I had sense enough to know that a cocked hammer was a red flag, because by that age, my father had given me a single action revolver.  

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 10:27pm:
slumlord44 wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 10:02pm:
To my knowledge the answer is no. While the 417 and 418 Walnut Hills worked this way I am not sure if you can make the rest of the 44's work this way by reversing the links.

DeHass says "some" 44s.  But the question pertained to 44-1/2 models, so the answer is still no. I think the half-cock mechanism is a good idea, & walking around with a gun at full-cock is asking for trouble.  I admit that in an Indian fight, or other combat situation, the half-cock would be a disadvantage, but otherwise, not.

A bit of time using CAD to slightly alter the shape of the cocking spur on the link might provide a way to accomplish it, and it may be useful for those 44 1/2 and 044 1/2 actions that are equipped with a hammer fly but don't have set triggers.
For hunting, I have often refreshed/sharpen up the points of dull or worn/battered checkering on various hammer spurs to provide a positive "grip", and anyone who hunts should have learned long ago how to check/confirm hammer position and/or safely and quietly manipulate the hammer to the required position by using the "Braille" method while maintaining eye contact with the "target".

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint