Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens 44 1/2 half clock question (Read 5117 times)
Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Stevens 44 1/2 half clock question
Sep 15th, 2018 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
One of my fellow shooters at the local range knows that I am into vintage rifles and gave me the book "The Breach-Loading Single Shot Rifle" in paperback while we were at the range yesterday.  I have only read part of it but one thing I found interesting was in the discussion on the Stevens 44 rifle.  He states that by reversing the links that the hammer will stay in the full clock position after closing the breach and was a popular change made to hunting rifles.  Is this possible for the 44 1/2 action?  I have pulled the trigger while on half clock twice while hunting as I am so used to shooting a Hi wall.  The first time when it went click I was convinced I had a bad primer and then thought you dummy, you need to clock this thing.  I calmly cocked it and let fly killing a 25" mulie with my 25/35.  If it is an easy fix I would change it this winter as I don't want to mess with things with hunting season just around the corner.  Thanks. Tom.  Huh

Twitter  
IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 44 1/2 half clock question
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Bulseyetom wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 8:13pm:
I have pulled the trigger while on half clock twice while hunting as I am so used to shooting a Hi wall.  The first time when it went click I was convinced I had a bad primer and then thought you dummy, you need to clock this thing. 

Click?  If the hammer dropped from half-cock & you didn't break the sear, you were lucky.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
To my knowledge the answer is no. While the 417 and 418 Walnut Hills worked this way I am not sure if you can make the rest of the 44's work this way by reversing the links. I think this has been discussed here in the past but it's not coming out of my memory banks at this moment.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 10:02pm:
To my knowledge the answer is no. While the 417 and 418 Walnut Hills worked this way I am not sure if you can make the rest of the 44's work this way by reversing the links.

DeHass says "some" 44s.  But the question pertained to 44-1/2 models, so the answer is still no. I think the half-cock mechanism is a good idea, & walking around with a gun at full-cock is asking for trouble.  I admit that in an Indian fight, or other combat situation, the half-cock would be a disadvantage, but otherwise, not.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 1:52am
Print Post  
It may have been Stevens' intention, but of all the 44s I've played about with, I have yet to find one with the "finger" on the link long enough to actually put the hammer at full cock.   

I too think that the 1885 "full-cock" feature is an unintentional discharge waiting to happen, especially in the woods with cold, wet hands.

<div class=

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
I don't recall if they were all due to full cock on close, but unintentional discharges is why I shut down the LRBP at Tacoma.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
I could have been clearer. No on the 44 1/2. Not sure on the 44's other than the 417's and 418's which are 44 actions.

IP Logged

Fogman

Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Hunting with a Stevens on full cock? Seriously?

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 1:10am
Print Post  
I think the issue is going to full cock when loaded and action being closed.  It can be dropped to half cock for carrying loaded. That is the HiWall way  Huh

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 10:47am
Print Post  
I can't understand why one would want the gun to go to full cock if he plans to lower to half cock for carrying? Seems like a fix for a non existent problem.
On guns I own that are in full cock after loading I lower them to half cock to carry anyway. All my Rolling Blocks are in full cock after loading, except my Whitney Laidly that is loaded at half cock. Never been an issue to lower to half cock, or cock it before shooting.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 10:47am:
I can't understand why one would want the gun to go to full cock if he plans to lower to half cock for carrying? Seems like a fix for a non existent problem.

Probably a matter of personal preference. I'm sure having every rifle the same would prevent confusion.  I can see how a guy normally shoot a Ballard could easily overlook his 94 thurty-thurty being on full cock in the excitement of early on opening day  Shocked

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
I am not sure how anybody got the idea that I am walking around with my loaded rifle at full clock.  I normally hunt with one in the chamber and at half clock if I am by myself in even ground and empty if with other people or on hillsides.  The issue that prompted me to see if it was an easy conversion to the Hi Wall configuration so that when you load it stays at full clock if desired was walking along with my partner, we spotted a nice 4x4 mule deer 200 yards off.  He was shooting a B78 in 25-06 so calmly pulled the hammer to full clock and let fly.  In the meantime I had moved 10 yards to a nice rock for a rest and loaded my Stevens.  To my surprise he missed and the deer turned broadside to me and stopped to look back at a second buck.  I held behind the shoulder and let fly but nothing went boom.  After a second I realised I wasn't using my Browning so pulled back the hammer and proceeded to aim again.  This time it went boom and the rest is history.  Last year I was walking by myself when I topped a rise and 75 yards away a deer was munching away not knowing I was in the same time zone.  I loaded one in and instant replay, nothing went boom.   I realize that a man with one rifle is the way to go but I have hunted for 20 years with the B78 and in the moments when instinct kicks in I assume incorrectly that I am cocked when loading.  To remain at half clock is safer but remaining at full clock until lowered is not unlike working a bolt action and clambering a round from the magazine.  My Borchardt has an automatic safety which I think is the best thing going. Again, I am not wandering around the mountains with a cocked rifle.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 10:21am
Print Post  
I hunt with my gun's chamber empty on my single shot rifles. Just my preferred method. I use a butt cuff to hold rounds, so it's quick for me to drop one on the chamber and close the action when I see game.
There are times I chamber a round and begin working in for a closer shot. But my Ballards go to half cock on closing, so I leave it there as I work my way in closer, and then go to full cock when I'm ready.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 9:01pm:

I can see how a guy normally shoot a Ballard could easily overlook his 94 thurty-thurty being on full cock in the excitement of early on opening day  Shocked

Anybody that excitable, beyond the age of 15 or 16, shouldn't have a hunting license.  

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Sep 19th, 2018 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 11:22am:
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 9:01pm:

I can see how a guy normally shoot a Ballard could easily overlook his 94 thurty-thurty being on full cock in the excitement of early on opening day  Shocked

Anybody that excitable, beyond the age of 15 or 16, shouldn't have a hunting license.  

That would include about 75% of those in the field  Shocked  Too bad most of them would be doing it routinely when not excited  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint