Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens Model 1915 Favorite converted to .32 S&W (Read 4387 times)
Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Stevens Model 1915 Favorite converted to .32 S&W
Sep 11th, 2018 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Along with the .22 rimfire Maynard I received today I got a nice little Stevens Favorite Model 1915, originally in .32 rimfire long and now converted to .32 S&W (short) centerfire.  I already had a set of dies, and lots of ammo and brass for a couple of S&W top-break revolvers that I own, so the calibre appealed to me.  It should make a fun little "shooter" for my wife to use when we're up at the range.  There are three cuts in the buttstock behind the lower tang so I'm not sure what a previous owner might have shot with it, but whatever it was he got 3 of them!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens Model 1915 Favorite converted to .32 S&W
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Nice Gun!
Those 3 marks beg the question; if they could only talk!

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
Rebel wrote on Sep 11th, 2018 at 6:30pm:

Aaron

Maybe they can't talk but the almost perfect condition of the stocks, compared to the wear of the original metal finish, say "refinish or replacement."  Is it likely they would have survived in near pristine condition, while the original blue was worn down to the bare metal on the rcvr.?

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
So you're saying that what the gun has to tell is that the wood is refinished or replaced?
OK. Makes sense.
I'd be much more interested in the origin of the marks, and any other history this rifle has to tell.

32 Long Rimfire uses a .316 bullet as opposed to .312 in 32 S&W.
I use 32 HBWC's in my converted 1894, shoots well.

Aaron
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2018 at 11:23pm by Rebel »  

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 2:43am
Print Post  
Yes, I was wondering about that too.  I suspected that the standard .32 S&W bullets would be undersized.  Don't know if I have any HBWC's on hand in .32 ... I'll have to take a look.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 3:00am
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Sep 11th, 2018 at 11:05pm:
Rebel wrote on Sep 11th, 2018 at 6:30pm:

Aaron

Maybe they can't talk but the almost perfect condition of the stocks, compared to the wear of the original metal finish, say "refinish or replacement."  Is it likely they would have survived in near pristine condition, while the original blue was worn down to the bare metal on the rcvr.?

My Stevens Pope Ballard is like that.  The wood is probably as old or older than the metal finish on the barrel.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Sure looks correct and unaltered to me. I see no real wear as there's lots of barrel bluing. I'd almost always expect the case colors to be totally gone after this length of time, but the metal looks well cared for and no signs of neglect or abuse.
I think it's a well cared for gun, and all original.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Sep 12th, 2018 at 12:01pm:
Sure looks correct and unaltered to me. I see no real wear as there's lots of barrel bluing. I'd almost always expect the case colors to be totally gone after this length of time, but the metal looks well cared for and no signs of neglect or abuse.

As of the 1919 catalog, rcvrs. are described as "blued."  But even on a case colored rcvr., some vestiges of the CC usually remain in protected areas.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Sep 12th, 2018 at 1:47pm:
marlinguy wrote on Sep 12th, 2018 at 12:01pm:

As of the 1919 catalog, rcvrs. are described as "blued."  But even on a case colored rcvr., some vestiges of the CC usually remain in protected areas.

Only if those protected areas are well protected! I've got a good number of color cased guns that only show remnants of case color on parts that are completely hidden. It's not at all unusual for color case to have some showing in protected areas, but not any less common for it to only be found inside receiver parts.

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
The circle I on the frame appears well into the 1915 series and the big S buttplate even later.  I cant put a date on them, but I think just before Savage picked them up and put a circle SVC on the lift side of the frame.  It's a shame that the records burned and we cant decode the Letter/Figure and number "serial numbers, probably just lot numbers as the letters repeated themselves.

James H.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
coljimmy wrote on Sep 16th, 2018 at 10:25pm:
It's a shame that the records burned and we cant decode the Letter/Figure and number "serial numbers, probably just lot numbers as the letters repeated themselves.

James H.

But the "circle of confusion" isn't large: at it's maximum, only 5 yrs, 1915 to 1920.   

Furthermore, we know from the Congressional hearings on Moisin-Nagant production held in Dec 1917 that Westinghouse was frantic to complete their Russian order before the Bolshevik gov't made a separate peace treaty with the Germans...which they did a few months later.  Given that urgency, how many workers would have been available to continue civilian production?  Possibly a few, but doesn't seem very likely that wartime production of Favorites, or other Stevens models, would have been great.  (By 1915, in fact, every US maker of arms & ammo was trying to cash-in on orders pouring in from Europe.)  Considering all this, it seems logical that most of the pre-Savage 1915s would have been built between the end of the war & sometime in 1920.

When Stevens A&T was reorganized in 1916 into "J. Stevens," were there any public notices of suspended or curtailed production of the pre-war models, as many gunmakers did during WWII?  Probably not, or it would have been previously reported by Grant or others.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
It's quite possible over the last decade that the bluing got worn more on the receiver than the barrel. So some owner could have simply decided to strip the remainder of the bluing instead of leaving it worn looking. Not the first time someone did it, or the last either.
And much easier on a Stevens since you can easily remove wood and barrel to strip the receivers.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:16pm:
It's quite possible over the last decade that the bluing got worn more on the receiver than the barrel. So some owner could have simply decided to strip the remainder of the bluing instead of leaving it worn looking. Not the first time someone did it, or the last either.

I've done it on a badly splotched "brown" receiver, taking it down to a uniform silver/grey.  But if it was done on this gun, the hammer & block were omitted, as there's noticeable blue left on them.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Well, I finally got a chance to get up to the range today and shoot the little Stevens Favorite.  Got a couple of surprises.  I was thinking that since it was a .32 rimfire and just converted to a centrefire firing pin it might shoot better with .32 Colts (outside lubricated / heeled bullets similar to the original rimfire bullets), so I tried about 5 rounds of that first.  Had some powder gases spitting out of the action and they were all over the map when I had a look at the target.  The previous owner told me he was shooting .32 S&W's in it, so what the heck I'll give that a try too since I brought some of both kinds of ammo with me.  The .32 S&W's shot without spitting gases and darned if they didn't shoot into a halfway decent group too.  I'm puzzled since I really thought the .32 Colts would perform better since it still has the original .32 rimfire barrel and wasn't relined, bit was just converted to centrefire.  Anyway, I can't argue with the results and maybe I can improve on things with reloading too.  (Still haven't slugged the barrel yet so not even sure what the groove size is ...)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint