Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Help with Refinished Low Wall value (Read 5305 times)
ohland
Participating Member

Help with Refinished Low Wall value
Sep 8th, 2018 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
I have a refinished and relined Winchester Low Wall that is winding me in a twist, trying to figure a fair price for.

The barrel was drawfiled and has a good blue. The stampings are a bit shallow, but legible. All metal is blued, barrel, action, block, lever, and butt plate. Barrel was relined, and the crown and breech were cleaned up so the liner is unoticeable unless you look down the bore and see the crisp, modern rifling. The block is tight, no wallowing when it is lowered. Breech has the centerfire firing pin.

There is no way it could be mistaken for an original rifle, but it is heckuva good shape for a shooter.

Pedersoli USA 431 Long Range Silhouette sight, Hadley Eye Cup USA 463 and it also has a Uberti S05 / TS05 High Wall Globe Sight / Windage Globe Sight (which is redundant).

Yes, it is in 38-55. The interested party knows it is definitely black powder / cast bullets only...

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Help with Refinished Low Wall value
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2018 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
ohland wrote on Sep 8th, 2018 at 9:39pm:

Yes, it is in 38-55.

That's saying a mouthful--none of it good.  With the huge number of low-cost BP repros in circulation, it's amazing that anyone would waste money on such a bad idea.  Could have been turned into a nice small-game rifle.

$500, if the buyer signs a release of liability.

IP Logged

Oldman11
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Please do not get me wrong as I’m what you call a newbie,but is not the 38-55 a little large for the low-wall? Like I said I’m just getting started in older guns at the age of 75 so please this is not a smart+++ answer. Undecided

IP Logged

ohland
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
What my old man did is between him and God, I can't tell you the details. I can guess, but the only way to be sure is to get to the big range in the sky....

38-55 is NOT a factory chambering or a special order in the low wall. I have Vols I and II of The Winchester Single Shot, and it is always in the high wall.

But... there is nothing keeping someone from grabbing a loose round loaded for a Ruger #1 45-70 and dropping it into a Trapdoor. Even with modern steel, and proper heat treatments, the Trapdoor design is weak. Yet folks still shoot original Trapdoors. Heck, you can buy current production Trapdoors...

In WSS, Vol II, someone tested the steel used in the 1885, and it is nothing special. The conclusion was that Winchester could use the steels that they did because of the design. Obviously, the high wall does a better job of supporting the breech block...

The action is tight, and it would be a good start for a project...

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
A  Lo wall with the small Barrel Shank in 38-55 is also a good 
test of how to get hurt. Selling that is a good way to find yourself in Court for some one who has been injured or worse.
No matter how you cover your self with Liability Releases.
If the buyer takes it to any Dealer who has any knowledge of these things he should be right back to your door. HTH.
Regards, FITZ. OLD TUCK Smiley

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Action alone is worth more than $500.00 and if a liability concern break it down and sell the wood and the barrel separately.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Joe,
Is that with low pressure reloads or factory jacketed ammo?
I think that's everyone's concern.

Aaron
What's that appendage sticking out of the palm rest?

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
I know what the dohickey on the palm rest is, but I just noticed the cool pistol grip treatment on that thing. Is it a straight tang under there?

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 9:21am
Print Post  
I know that you have stated that you are selling it as a Black powder / Cast bullet only but what happens after it leaves your hands? will the new owner be as scrupulous? Will his widow sell is to some guy buying up collections after he passes? It’s hard enough to find a gunsmith these days that are not just parts changers. Finding a gunsmith who actually know about Single shot falling block / rolling block rifles is hard. So what happens when some newbie buys it at a gunshow and the seller throws in a box of Winchester Factory loads?

40 Rod

IP Logged

ww

Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Pressure rating for the 38-55 is 35,000 CIP (piezo). I wouldn't be afraid of factory 38-55s it would be someone feeding it factory 375 Winchesters at 55.000 CIP. Someone in the if it fits, shoot it crowd could be a problem. 
Any ideas what it was originally chambered for. 
WW

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 10:31am
Print Post  
ww wrote on Sep 10th, 2018 at 10:00am:
Pressure rating for the 38-55 is 35,000 CIP (piezo). I wouldn't be afraid of factory 38-55s it would be someone feeding it factory 375 Winchesters at 55.000 CIP. Someone in the if it fits, shoot it crowd could be a problem. 
Any ideas what it was originally chambered for. 
WW

I wont call that irrelevant, but there are many guns that wont take well to a .375 Win. loaded in the .38-55 factory chambering. So it's something any gun owner should be aware of, and not just a rebarreled Win. Low Wall.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 11:39am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Sep 10th, 2018 at 10:31am:
I wont call that irrelevant, but there are many guns that wont take well to a .375 Win. loaded in the .38-55 factory chambering. So it's something any gun owner should be aware of, and not just a rebarreled Win. Low Wall.

It was negligent of Win. not to anticipate this possibility, & prevent it by making their .375 case too long to fit into a .38-55 chamber, just as .357 Mags are too long to fit a .38 Spl. chamber.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Sep 10th, 2018 at 11:39am:
marlinguy wrote on Sep 10th, 2018 at 10:31am:

It was negligent of Win. not to anticipate this possibility, & prevent it by making their .375 case too long to fit into a .38-55 chamber, just as .357 Mags are too long to fit a .38 Spl. chamber.

It could be the Winchester engineers had cause to shorten the .375 Win for purposes of fitment into the 1894 action. Also Winchester never chambered the 38-55 in rifles that could not withstand a load from a .375 Win discharge.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Also Winchester never chambered the 38-55 in rifles that could not withstand a load from a .375 Win discharge.

My Model 1894 built in 1896 was not designed for 50,000 cup.
Neither are any 1894's or 94's.
Only the "Big Bore 94's" with their strengthened receivers can take a 375 Win.
They weren't introduced till 1978.

Aaron
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2018 at 1:35pm by Rebel »  

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Rebel wrote on Sep 10th, 2018 at 1:28pm:
Also Winchester never chambered the 38-55 in rifles that could not withstand a load from a .375 Win discharge.

My Model 1894 built in 1896 was not designed for 50,000 cup.
Neither are any 1894's or 94's.
Only the "Big Bore 94's" with their strengthened receivers can take a 375 Win.
They weren't introduced till 1978.

Aaron

Furthermore, responsible ammo makers don't assume their products will be used ONLY in guns made by them.  What about the Ballards, Stevens, etc. chambered for .38-55?  Not likely, I know, that anyone would be crazy enough to try out a .375 in their old 44, but it's hard to believe their wasn't some way to make the .375 incompatible with such old guns.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint