Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Tang sight - what do I have? (Read 4346 times)
BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Tang sight - what do I have?
Reply #15 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
No problem, rkba2nd.
The 1, 1A, 2, 2A series will teach you a lot about 103's and their respective proper staff heights for particular applications.
If you remember the old rule about parallel lines and angles, it's easy to figure out what your upright heights should be.
I always got a chuckle out of Lyman's method of mixing a handful of different bases with another handful of different staff assemblies to end up with a very wide range of finished sight combinations to pretty much cover the "waterfront", so to speak.     Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Red Cent
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
There are no letters or numbers on the bottom of the base.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2018 at 11:16pm by Red Cent »  

Life is too short to argue with stupid people
and/or drink cheap booze

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Thanks again BP. Neal Rice showed me that formula many years ago when I was building a 45-70 Hepburn. I had ordered a William Large barrel part octagon, and was going to use a Lyman No. 2 tang sight, but needed a front sight to work with a two leaf folding rear sight. Easy peasey, but a current magnetic bore sight would be somewhat easier, although not as traditional. Darn sure wish I still had that rifle. This was in the early 70s and I was looking forward to starting a family. BEST TRADE I EVER MADE.   I will take flesh and blood over wood and metal any day, unless I can have both! Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
I hear you, rkba2nd. Flesh and blood always comes first, and when you're able to get that part pretty much covered, wood and metal makes a real nice addition.    Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Red Cent,

Looking at you're 2nd and 4th pictures, is the rear mounting screw hole drilled off-center (to the left of the base center-line) ?
If so, then someone may have modified the sight base from its original configuration, and may also have shaved a bit of material off the bottom to remove the original letter stamp.
People have had decades in which to screw with old sights, just as they have had decades to screw with old guns.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #20 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 3:12pm:
Red Cent,

Looking at you're 2nd and 4th pictures, is the rear mounting screw hole drilled off-center (to the left of the base center-line) ?

Good catch! It does indeed appear to be off center, which would make it a modified sight, and huge hit on the value. 
I still grab them if they're cheap as I have a guy tig weld up the hole and then properly drill and countersink for the screw head. A little cold blue and they're good as new again.
Might also explain why there's no code letters! Might have been a long one like Winchesters use and the code letters were on the piece that was cut off.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint