Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why old errors in books seldom, if ever, die... (Read 26143 times)
Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Why old errors in books seldom, if ever, die...
Reply #30 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 12:59am
Print Post  
As usual, I was trying to be too cute.  What we are discussing here in general is how once a false fact is accepted as true, it becomes difficult if not nigh impossible to correct.  The Ned Roberts case is just a typical example.

Speaking of which, back in Ned Robert's younger days, there was no nationally-organized militia; i.e., the National Guard didn't come into being until 1916.  And serving in a state militia, like Ned Roberts did, did not for many people carry the same weight as serving in the United States Army.  In short, Harvey Donaldson should be judged as a man of his times, not ours.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 7:47am
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 12:59am:
Harvey Donaldson should be judged as a man of his times, not ours.

Of course, everybody should!  (Although modern education, beginning in grade school, teaches exactly the opposite--thus most of the Founding Fathers are now condemned for owning slaves, when that was the social system they grew up in!  Look up "presentism" is you've never heard that term--the college instructor who doesn't preach it will soon be out of a job.)

As I previously said, I very much want to give Harve the benefit of the doubt.  But if you knew as much, probably more, than the man who has become famous for the books & articles he's written, would it not be natural to feel some envy, some sense of life's injustice?  People who wouldn't are probably destined to become monks.  Harvey's only book, remember, was published after his death.  That's my interpretation of the questionable remarks Water's discussed in his Handloader article.

Incidentally, "print the legend," not the factual truth, is a pernicious philosophy--it means "what most (ignorant) people believe" is more important than what actually happened.  Of course, it's an immensely popular philosophy because it affirms what the majority want to believe.  Thus "the legend" of the greatest demagogue & rabble-rouser this country has ever produced--who else but MLK?--is taught in every schoolroom in the country, & the FBI tapes which reveal what kind of man he really was are suppressed because they conflict with "the legend."

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #32 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 10:46pm:
marlinguy wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:23pm:

The Stevens fire is real and has been well documented in books about Stevens whenever the subject of Stevens records for serial numbers is discussed. It's also been documented in the government investigation for war profiting after WWI, so not just a myth.

Never said it was a myth--merely asked WHERE is the documentation?  Publishing a widely held belief is not documentation. The official report of a gov't investigation would be an example of reliable documentation, but what is the name of that report & when was it published?  If Kimmel doesn't name it, & say that he has dug it out of the national archives to read with his own eyes, he has done no more than report hearsay.    

As usual you seem to have a way of never believing anything unless you stated it as fact. I have neither the time or inclination to argue this with you, or look up research for you. I'm sure if I posted it you'd still find some way to say that also wasn't a reliable source.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 11:01pm:
craigd wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:31pm:
At this point, I'd never take a Pet Load as a primary load source, but I followed those columns for years and like looking back at them.

Why not?  What source would be more reliable, unless you suspect Ken was "making it up"? His personal shooting & loading experience FAR exceeded that of any technician in a ballistics lab.

Come on Redsetter. I don't have a perfectly preserved stash of thirty to forty something year old powder and components to dig into when I take his original sporting rifles to the range. But, I did pick up the Handloader DVD set because it's quicker to sort through than a bunch of magazines or the Pet Loads compilations.

I much prefer reading and appreciating Water's articles than any up to date load data. My long time thinking has been that pretty much all the things that I'm interested in are approached as if they are individual wildcats, but I don't discount lab results. Do you shoot other folks reloads? I do, but not as a routine, it's not always so easy to tell what you're getting.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
I would suggest that the fire that destroyed the records of Stevens Arms was the opening salvo of the Russian political assault on our nation. It was the collusion between Westinghouse and those who toppled the Czar.

If someone really wanted to verify the fire a good place to start would be the Chicopee Fall historical society. Putting a time and date on the event and searching news of the time would not be that difficult. Searching New England Westinghouse would likely bring better results.

Quote:
The history of the Westinghouse Co. claims that the surplus weapons were sold to the British. When the war ended, military arms glutted the world market and manufacturers unloaded surplus into the black market, frequently selling to the highest bidder. 

The U.S. Congress launched several inquiries into wartime profiteering as well as an investigation of the companies’ close ties to the czarist government. 

In Chicopee Falls, a major fire destroyed most of the wartime records of the Stevens company immediately following word that congressional staffers were coming to Western Massachusetts. Several company executives were relocated, and that was just about the time the baron and baroness of Chicopee Falls left for greener pastures.

Russian collusion 

Grin

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Fitz / OleTuck you were indeed correct it was the Lyman Reloading Handbook 43rd edition 1964. The 32-40 recommend load 20-24 grains Unique. The below link should take you to a gentleman who blew up his newly purchased original 32-40 HiWall on his very first shot and his story. Fitz if this is not the same rifle you and I were thinking about it would make for two known destroyed.

JLouis
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2018 at 2:58pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 10:10am:

As usual you seem to have a way of never believing anything unless you stated it as fact. I have neither the time or inclination to argue this with you, or look up research for you. I'm sure if I posted it you'd still find some way to say that also wasn't a reliable source.

And as usual, you demonstrate again that your conception of documentation, independently verifiable proof of some kind, is what you & your friends have always believed to be true, & how DARE anyone ask where you obtained that information!

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 1:20pm:

If someone really wanted to verify the fire a good place to start would be the Chicopee Fall historical society.
Grin

Nothing funny about that idea--it's an excellent one, & thanks for posting that link!  I'm going to try contacting the man identified as the city historian next week, to obtain, if possible, a copy of that "Stevens history" written in 1942 that he referred to--don't remember seeing any other reference to that document, whatever it is.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
craigd wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 12:12pm:
[quote author=427574637564647562100 link=1534525550/31#31 date=1534561294]Come on Redsetter. I don't have a perfectly preserved stash of thirty to forty something year old powder and components to dig into when I take his original sporting rifles to the range. But, I did pick up the Handloader DVD set because it's quicker to sort through than a bunch of magazines or the Pet Loads compilations.

Loads for obsolescent powders would be useless, of course, but for the particular cartridges I've consulted Pet Loads for, mostly BP period rounds, that hasn't been a problem. And I just find Ken's discussions of his experiences with different cartridges & guns so much more interesting than the "bare facts" in other loading manuals. Even Ken's data I crosscheck with some other reference, usually the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook; but Pet Loads is where I always start.   

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 11:01pm:
craigd wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:31pm:
At this point, I'd never take a Pet Load as a primary load source, but I followed those columns for years and like looking back at them.

Why not?  What source would be more reliable, unless you suspect Ken was "making it up"? His personal shooting & loading experience FAR exceeded that of any technician in a ballistics lab.

What source(s) are you referring to, Redsetter, when you state Waters "personal shooting & loading experience FAR exceeded that of any technician in a ballistics lab."  ?
Did any of Waters data go to a lab for testing before publication?
Have you actually contacted and spoken with any ballistics labs techs, and if so, who were they and where did they work, and what data did they provide to you that allowed you to make your statement about Waters?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:16pm:
Dellet wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 1:20pm:

If someone really wanted to verify the fire a good place to start would be the Chicopee Fall historical society.
Grin

Nothing funny about that idea--it's an excellent one, & thanks for posting that link!  I'm going to try contacting the man identified as the city historian next week, to obtain, if possible, a copy of that "Stevens history" written in 1942 that he referred to--don't remember seeing any other reference to that document, whatever it is.

There are a couple of articles that were presentations by a Cecil Kyser and his son Tom. It’s possible these are the ones referenced. Tom made mention of presenting his fathers works.

He actually sites Grant as the source for the story of the fire.

I think I came across an article similar to the history of Westinghouse, directed more towards Stevens in the same archive but was not able to find it. But I think contacting the historical society would probably get the needed info.

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #41 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Is this the Roberts load in question? I have never shot smokless so don't know but I have it marked in the book as unsafe.
pg 234 32-40 16-18gr. 4227 with various 185-200gr breech seated bullets.
and on pg 235, 33-40 the same data, except bullet weight.

Also, I seem to remember reading years ago the "Winchester fire" was done in the 60's by I think FN or who ever was the current owner, to clear up some storage space.

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:42pm:
What source(s) are you referring to, Redsetter, when you state Waters "personal shooting & loading experience FAR exceeded that of any technician in a ballistics lab."  ?
Have you actually contacted and spoken with any ballistics labs techs, and if so, who were they and where did they work, and what data did they provide to you that allowed you to make your statement about Waters?

My "sources" are the HUNDREDS of articles on reloading, guns, & shooting written by him for diverse publications over a period of around 50 yrs.  Can you name any lab technician who's written a technical work comparable in scope to Pet Loads, earning the highest respect from everyone of note in the shooting world, & being also the man chosen by Ned Roberts to co-author one of the most important books ever published on SSs?  And you'd compare an anonymous lab tech to such a man?   

Unless you doubt that he knew how to operate a chronograph accurately, & from long practical experience knew how to interpret the visual indicators of excessive pressure, why would you rate the results of a lab as being in some way superior to his?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 5:45pm:
There are a couple of articles that were presentations by a Cecil Kyser and his son Tom. It’s possible these are the ones referenced. Tom made mention of presenting his fathers works.

He actually sites Grant as the source for the story of the fire.

But Grant never to my knowledge cites his source for the story of the fire.  I would imagine he began his research when there were former Stevens employees around to be interviewed--they might well be his source for this info., but he would have added credibility by stating something like "I was told by so & so, former such & such at the Stevens factory, that this is how it happened."

Kyser's info bears quite a resemblance to Kenneth Cope's work on Stevens pistols & pocket rifles; makes me wonder if Cope used Kyser's work as one of his sources, though his name is not listed in Cope's bibliography.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
One would think the fire would be mentioned in at least in local newspapers.  In those days, they printed everything including who went to who's for Sunday dinner  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Send TopicPrint