Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Remington Hepburn .40-50 Sharps Straight (1 7/8") (Read 11761 times)
Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Remington Hepburn .40-50 Sharps Straight (1 7/8")
Aug 15th, 2018 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
First off I have to extend my sincere thanks to Terry (shovel80) for allowing me to become the new curator of this wonderful piece of shooting history.  I've been liquidating a few duplicate and project guns (mostly Winchester lever actions) and replacing them with a few single shot rifles, which have always been my favorites.  I didn't have a Hepburn action rifle yet and when Terry posted this one for sale I contacted him ASAP.  It took a bit of extra effort and patience to get this rifle up across the border to me, but it was definitely worth the trouble and again my thanks to Terry for agreeing to the cross border sale and everything that it entailed.  I'm in the process of shortening and fire-forming some .303 British cases to use in it and if our local weather will cool down a bit then I can cast some sample bullets to test it out.  I just happened to have a spare Unertl 15 power scope to drop onto the supplied bases and that will help with the load testing since my blurry old eyes just aren't what they use to be!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Remington Hepburn .40-50 Sharps Straight (1 7/8")
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Nice 'un. Me like. Smiley

IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
While I am glad for you, I am turning green. I never got to own a Hepburn and it looks like I never will. I have a 40-60 heavr barrle rifle but it is no Hepburn. I also use 303 British cases but I don't have to shorten mine. I do have one of those 1 inch Unertl scopes but I rarely use it. Again, that is a very nice rifle. It is also great that it came down thru the years in such good shape.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 12:38am
Print Post  
I love Hepburns, and I just got a .40-50SS Rolling Block a little over a year ago, and like the caliber an awful lot!
It's extremely close to the old .38-55 in load data and I use that data for my loads, and .303 British brass shortened. 
That's a real beauty, in a great caliber!

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:30am
Print Post  
Finally got up to the range today with a few rifles (and to host a friend and his 16 year old grandson for a day of shooting) and I fire-formed 10 test loads made from shortened Winchester .303 British cases.  They blew out fairly well, but they are not 100% yet, so I'll up the load another grain or a grain and a half of powder and test a few more.  (For these loads I used 7.5 grains of Nitro Trap 100, a 1/4 sheet of toilet tissue, bulk yellow cornmeal up to the case mouth, and then another 1/4 sheet of toilet tissue to hold it all in place.)  If a slightly heavier charge works better then I have another 150 or so rounds of Winchester .303 British brass that I can fire-form into a batch of "shooter" brass for this .40-50 SS.  Now if it will just cool down a bit I can cast some bullets for it ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Since this is my first Remington Hepburn I just thought I'd ask the resident experts if it is typical of them to strike the primers this hard?  As my old shooting buddy of many years would say ... "It hits them with conviction!"  Didn't experience any pierced primers at all, it just really "whacks" them good.  It takes a bit of effort to cock the hammer on this rifle so it seems to have a heavy hammer spring.  (It has a very nice trigger pull though regardless of the effort it takes to cock the hammer so I'm not complaining at all ...)

Smiley

Still hoping for a break in our heat wave so that I can cast some test bullets.

Sad

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Yup!

Your rifle has the large diameter (BP era) firing pin and I think Remington used old steam locomotive truck springs for main springs.

All mine are the same way....

Cool Cool Cool

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
OK, thanks for the info.  I kind of suspected that, but thought I should ask!

Wink

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Terrific rifle. Great 'belly' guns (prone) with the side lever. Have a few myself. 

Tell us about the barrel (#4?, twist, length?). Looks great, though I would wear a shoulder pad with that original buttplate. Especially prone.

The 40-50 is an excellent BPCR round with minimal recoil. In fact, one of the national BPCR records has been held since 2008 by someone who shot a 40-50SS. 

If that were my rifle I would polish off the tip on the firing pin a bit until it wasn't hitting so deep. Mine do not and I've never suffered a misfire in ~15,000rds (40-65, 38-50 & 35-40).
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2018 at 6:56pm by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
The .40-50SS is such a mild round that even with the very narrow original buttplate the recoil is never painful. I have one on an original Rolling Block with the same buttplate, and it's no different than a .38-55 to shoot.
I use a bullet cast from the RCBS 300 CSA mold, and it's a very accurate gun/caliber. Shoot all day with no fatigue.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 6:51pm:

The 40-50 is an excellent BPCR round with minimal recoil. In fact, one of the national BPCR records has been held since 2008 by someone who shot a 40-50SS. 

What record it that?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
I think that was a junior record in silhouette.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
It is actually 3 records held by my son since 2009 as an intermediate junior and junior shooter in BPCR silhouette. He actually shot several Master scores in monthly matches that are higher than the records he holds. Only scores in registered matches are recognized for records.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Here's a pic of my Heppy in 38-55.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Deadeye Bly wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 8:19pm:
It is actually 3 records held by my son since 2009 as an intermediate junior and junior shooter in BPCR silhouette. He actually shot several Master scores in monthly matches that are higher than the records he holds. Only scores in registered matches are recognized for records.

Congrats to him!

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint