Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Remington Hepburn .40-50 Sharps Straight (1 7/8") (Read 11754 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Remington Hepburn .40-50 Sharps Straight (1 7/8")
Reply #15 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Rebel wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 8:48pm:
Here's a pic of my Heppy in 38-55.

Aaron

Love that extra heavy barrel!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
The record is long run on BP Turkeys, shot by Eric Stevens at Shippensburg, Pa silhouette range, with Barry Harmon spotting. They held up the match so he could go for a long run record. I was there that day, and if memory serves he shot 34 turkeys in a row (at 385 meters). He shot with iron sights, using a CPA rifle. The last few hits were a bit shaky because he was running out of ammo and was down to his chicken loads.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
I was referring to John's son's junior records, which still stand. Did not know that the turkey long-run record is with a 40-50SS. Obviously, the cartridge can shoot. John will some day shoot his (though in a High Wall).

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Eric's record was with the 40/50 Bottleneck cartridge. Either one will shoot with the proper loads and technique. It is a good cartridge for a youth or lady or a shooter with neck or shoulder problems. Heck, its a good cartridge for anyone.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Sep 8th, 2018 at 2:21am
Print Post  
"Eric's record was with the 40/50 Bottleneck cartridge. Either one will shoot with the proper loads and technique. It is a good cartridge for a youth or lady or a shooter with neck or shoulder problems. Heck, its a good cartridge for anyone."
That little cartridge certainly was working that day for sure.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Sep 8th, 2018 at 4:29am
Print Post  
That running out of ammo reminds me of shooting the Quigley Bucket offhand at 500 yards. The target was the size of a 5 gallon bucket.  I only had 3 shells left and they were foulers; 2 of one loading and one of another. I told my spotter to watch close on the first shot because it may hit off my point of aim.  Got lucky and hit the bucket  Roll Eyes  Got a second hit out of the 3 shots.  We shot that for several years at Ravensdale and Tacoma.  Only time anyone hit it twice in 3 shots  Cheesy  Luck trumps skill ever time  Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Enjoyed a great day up at the range today fire-forming some brass for three of my old single shots.  Formed about 50 plus rounds of shortened .303 British in to .40-50 Sharps 1 7/8" for the Remington Hepburn.  Now I need to cast some .40 calibre bullets to test in my various .40 calibre rifles.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #22 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Wonderful Rem-Hepburn, Al!

Do you believe you will have any worrisome excess headspace using reformed .303 brass?

When I reformed some .303 brass (and some .30-40K brass) for my .40 2 1/2" Hepburn years ago....I could hear the cases rattling in the chamber when I shook the rifle hard back and forth. The primers also sat a bit "proud" after firing. Tapping the rims forward a bit solved that problem, and I lived with that until BACO began offering "stretched" Krag cases of the proper length. They also swaged the rims somehow to proper thickness.

My R.-Hepburn example is an early one with 3-digit SN.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #23 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 11:49am
Print Post  
.303 brass is pretty short to use in a .40-2 1/2 chamber. I would expect it to rattle around on first fire forming, and even after it will be short in the chamber by a good .25"! I never got past opening up .303 brass for mine, and seeing it wasn't even close I abandoned it and went to Hornady .405 Win. brass.

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #24 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 11:49am:
.303 brass is pretty short to use in a .40-2 1/2 chamber. I would expect it to rattle around on first fire forming, and even after it will be short in the chamber by a good .25"! I never got past opening up .303 brass for mine, and seeing it wasn't even close I abandoned it and went to Hornady .405 Win. brass.

You assumed something incorrectly. Cases that had been fired many times rattled and showed "proud" primers. That's when I decided to bend the case rims forward a bit to take up more space in the rim cut of the chamber.

When that Hepburn came to me in ~1977.....Hornady .405 Win. brass did not exist. Initially, I had to use a small batch of ancient .40-70 UMC brass that came with the rifle, and when that stuff wore out, I had to "make-do" with formed .303 and .30-40 cases. Even though they are too short, they worked satisfactorily for several decades........and we do what we have to do to keep the old rifles shooting. The BACO "stretched and rim-swaged" Krag cases have worked perfectly for my Rem-Hep ever since they became available. Besides that, the "stretching" thins the necks enough for me to be able to seat the proper size grooved bullet without thinning the inside of the necks. I've tried a few of the .405 Hornady cases....and the necks are too thick to do that. I'm not interested in fooling with paper patch bullets in this rifle.
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2018 at 2:07pm by xtimberman »  

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
I guess I got lucky on this Hepburn since the Winchester .303 British cases I'm fire-forming are a great fit and don't appear to have any headspace issues.  The fired primers don't seem to be backing out (which I think would be more likely in low pressure fire-forming loads than with full charges with a cast bullet?) and everything looks pretty good.  The odd round had a slightly higher fired primer than others, but I suspect that is probably just variations in rim thickness on the WW cases I used.  Not all of them were once fired brass, I just picked out a bunch of WW brass to keep them all the same.  Most of the fired primers are flat and flush to the case heads.  I was also lucky that this one is in .40-50 Sharps Straight 1 7/8" so case length is not an issue.  I shortened the .303 case necks to just above the shoulder, fire-formed them, and now will trim them all to finished length.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #26 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
I didn't have any issue with cases rattling once they were fire formed, as they expanded to fit well. But being so short I didn't want to use them. 
I started using .405 Win. brass and outside turned case necks, as I didn't like inside turning myself. Once fire formed the necks expanded out and bullets worked fine as fixed grease groove bullets.
I went to Hornady as soon as they became available as the cost was cheaper, and they were plentiful. I also share the .405 Hornady brass amongst several Ballard rifles and the Hepburn, as the .405 brass works well for the .40-63/.40-70 Ballard also. Unfortunately it appears Hornady has dropped the .405 from their lineup and I hope I have enough brass purchased to ensure I'm good for some time! Hate to have to start scrounging again at this point in life!

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #27 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 3:42pm:

I went to Hornady as soon as they became available as the cost was cheaper, and they were plentiful. I also share the .405 Hornady brass amongst several Ballard rifles and the Hepburn, as the .405 brass works well for the .40-63/.40-70 Ballard also. Unfortunately it appears Hornady has dropped the .405 from their lineup and I hope I have enough brass purchased to ensure I'm good for some time! Hate to have to start scrounging again at this point in life!

Al,
So glad you have an available and inexpensive source of brass for your "new" Hepburn! Bet it will be a fine shooter!

marlinguy,
I never could get .405 cases, or short expanded .30-40 to work suitably in my Ballard 1 1/2 .40-63 chamber. Too often, the extractor would end up behind the case rims of that brass. I used it primarily as a hunting rifle, and that bugaboo always seemed to happen to me in the dark.....leaving me blindly trying to pick out the cartridge that the extractor shoved in ahead of it. With those cases being a bit too small in diameter at the base for my chamber, that "bulge" ahead of the base "bugged" me, too. When RMC began making lathe-turned cases, I saved my pennies and ordered a batch of those.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
My brother in law is out from Manitoba and staying with us for a visit and I always take him out for a range day when he is in town, so yesterday we spent the day up at one of my local ranges and I let him shoot several hundred rounds in a variety of rifles.  While he was shooting I fire formed another 70 or so rounds of .40-50 SS in the Remington Hepburn.  I fired up my RCBS bottom pour pot a few days ago and finally cast a batch of 300 grain RCBS CSA bullets so now I need to make a bunch of test loads since I have about 120 formed cases.  The project continues ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #29 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Finally getting back around to doing some more with this Hepburn tomorrow.  I bought a set of .41 Rem Mag dies from a friend this morning and I used them to neck size the fire-formed brass I had already, neck expanded and belled them, and then loaded 50 rounds of test loads to shoot tomorrow.  I just set the dies higher in the press and adjusted them for the longer cases and it seemed to work OK.  I'm using the 300 grain RCBS CSA bullet for these initial tests with IMR4198.  Meeting a friend up at our local range tomorrow and will finally get this old girl on paper ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint