Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic My Slug Gun (Read 1821 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

My Slug Gun
Aug 15th, 2018 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Since there is another slug gun, in this sedtion, I thought I'd post my slug gun.

It is a West Coast gun, built by Milo Taylor. It had a 35 caliber barrel on it, that no one could get to shoot. I couldn't either so, I replaced it with a 38 caliber (.375), Douglas barrel and it shot better but, 3rd place, was all I could do with it.

The larger octagon area I made as a ignition chamber (1 3/8 oct) and the 1" x 14 male, barrel shank, screws into it. Everything behind it, is Milo's original work.

I shot a cast (20/1), cross paper patch bullets and made a patch holder/bullet starter for it.

The bullet was a simi-spitzer, two diameter as described by F. Mann, in The Bullets Flight and used ATF as the path lube.

One reason that I bought this rifle, instead of a 25 lb type, was I wanted one I could shoot OH but, that didn't work to well because of the low drop, straight stock.

I still have it but, there is no place to shoot it, with other guys. They are ALL dead, may they rest in peace. All that I shot with were very nice guys. Roger (Ole) Olson and Larry Bloomer, were stand outs.

Ole got me into the slugs and I got him, into SS's, where he stayed until called to a larger range.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Re: My Slug Gun
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
I shot with Milo for many years. He called me kid. I bought some nice rifles from him. I shot muzzle loaders wHile he and Lewis Parker usually shot slug guns. Milo did all his lathe work on an old flat-bed lathe but his guns shot very well. I have an 8MM film of Milo loading and shooting a slug gun at the old Brea Range many years ago. Lewis Parker made some super accurate rifles too, so accurate that few shooters wanted to compete with him so he sold his slug guns and spent the rest of his life shooting flint-locks. 

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
I never got to meet Milo, he had already passed by the time I bought this rifle. But, he was certainly talked about in the slug gun circles! We even had a match, in his name.

I don't remember Lewis Parker's name from my slug gun days (1987 - 1992). Did you know Ken Fox? He shot at Brea, in SS's when I started and came up here to the Jed Smith shoot each year and shot both, SS and slug.

Here are some match reports from those days.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Also, note that my slug gun, doesn't have scope blocks on it. In the years that I shot these rifles, most had modern scopes on them and although there may have been a external scope, or two but, I don't recall any.

I can only assume that the reason was because most competitors (up here at least) where older and eye sight was a issue. They always had the best, club owned, spotting scope in the club house.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

oldracer
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
I have two under hammers and both are 45 caliber 1 in 18 twist Green Mtn. barrels and I find I have to shoot 10 grains more powder to get the same grouping and impact that I do with my side lock? Not sure why even though both use a primer adapter instead of a regular percussion nipple. That sure looks GREAT!
John

IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Yes, I knew Kenny Fox very well. He was single and made enough money to indulge his collecting habit. He had a great collection of Sharps rifles which he would display at the big gun show in Pomona. It is a shame he died so young. Do you remember Ray Day or Wes Miller? Ray also had a great gun collection. He also died before his time. Lewis Parker passed away in 1992 if memory serves. He had sold all his cartridge guns by then. I don't know who bought his muzzle loaders. I was a member of Brea Gun Club from the early 1960s until it closed. I am going shooting tomorrow at Lytle Creek Range which is run by a former member of Brea, in fact there is a range located on the same property which the Brea Club built. It was very well constructed but sadly it closed years ago.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
I shot with the Brea club, for the year of 1985 and Wes Miller was my very first mentor in this game. Ray day, sounds familiar, did he shoot round ball bench guns? I shot with them a couple of times at Brea. 

I believe Little John's, sold most of Ken's collection.

I miss many, many of the old shooters.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint