Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens No. 47 Modern Range Target in .32-40 (Read 7482 times)
Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Re: Stevens No. 47 Modern Range Target in .32-40
Reply #30 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
This was 12.0 grains of 2400 with a plain base Lee custom bullet of about 170 grains.  It's not my usual .32-40 bullet, but were some from a used 6 cavity special order mould that I "fell into" and bought last year.  I usually shoot a 165 grain plain base Rapine bullet that shoots extremely well in my Ballard and High Wall, but didn't have any of those cast at the moment.  I had about 100 of these bullets already on hand and just tried them since I was eager to get out and shoot the rifle.  Our weather is finally cooling off a bit so I hope to get some casting done in the near future and I'll try some of my tried and true Rapine bullets to compare.  I normally size my Rapine bullets to .321" as well, but these bullets I shot yesterday were sized at .323" and I didn't take the time to re-size them again to .321", so there are lots of variables.  I was looking at the target last night and also wondered if they were tipping a bit or if I just didn't have the target paper stapled tight to the cardboard backer?  It'll take a bit more test shooting with a wider variety of loads to get some answers ...

frnkeore wrote on Aug 29th, 2018 at 11:19am:
What bullet are you using?

Most of the shots appear to be tipped a little.

I do think that your rifle will "shoot" with a little more load development, although it much harder, using fixed ammo.

Frank

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint