Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens No. 47 Modern Range Target in .32-40 (Read 7495 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Stevens No. 47 Modern Range Target in .32-40
Reply #15 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Unless you have a plug cutter to cut plugs across the grain, the sling hole repair will show. I usually elongate the holes and fit an oval shaped plug that I cut from walnut that matches the grain. A perfectly round hole is tough to hide, but an elongated irregular shape blends in better.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
OK ... thanks for the tip!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
While Marlinguy's method certainly works and and a grain-faced plug is absolutely necessary, I've found that irregular-shaped plugs work best of all.

However, in this case, a tapered round plug in a matching tapered hole should work well enough.  The tricks are that edges of the hole are sharp while the top of your plug is just oh-so-slightly bigger than your hole.  Apply the glue to the hole rather than the plug, orient the plug, and tap it - gently - into place.  After the plug's been trimmed off, it should only be noticeable at very close inspection.  If you want to hide it further before touching up the finish, a needle-pointed x-acto knife and the finest-tipped permanent ink pens that your art supply store sells can make the grain seem to flow over the join almost perfectly.

But however you do it, remember that casual eyes tend to see what they expect to see.  So as long as your plug fits tightly and the grain and color match, the repair will meet with approval.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Since there's no point of attachment for the opposite end of a sling (unless a leather loop around the brl. was used), I think this hole was used to attach the kind of butt-rest sometimes used for bench shooting in muzzle-loading days, long before modern bench eqpt. had evolved.  The very simple, more or less, T-shaped, device I'm referring to held the gun upright by means of a crosspiece a few inches long, & slid backward with the gun as it recoiled. Some of them had a screw adjustment for leveling the gun, I believe.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Good detective work, Redsetter; I'd forgotten about "butt rests".  But playing devil's advocate, wouldn't it have left some marks on the stock?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Reverend Al wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 2:57pm:
gunlaker wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 9:21am:
Did you get this from Ontario Canada by any chance?  It looks like one that was listed at Ellwood Epps recently.

Yes, this is the rifle that Epps in Ontario had listed.  I also bought an 1882 Maynard from them a short time ago that might have been from the same collection?  I made an offer on this Stevens and when they finally contacted the consignor they said yes and I bought it.  The only real "wart" it has is it looks like someone drilled a hole for a rear sling swivel which puzzles me, but hopefully it will be a small fix to fill it and blend it in.

I thought so.  It's a beautiful rifle.  I looked at it on their site more than once  Smiley

The fellow who owned it was likely Ted Girodat.  I have a left handed Winchester Special Single Shot and a Zischang highwall ( complete with molds and accessories) from his collection.

Chris.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 8:03pm:
  But playing devil's advocate, wouldn't it have left some marks on the stock?

Bill Lawrence

No idea--only seen them in old photos. Maybe something like a leather washer was used between the metal cross-piece & the wood. But aside from the unavoidable loss of CC on the rcvr., this gun has been VERY well cared for.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Beautiful and interesting Stevens. They can be hard to decipher after the fact. The question on the checkering reminds me of a Favorite I bought some time back with a checkered stock that looks to me to be factory but the configeration doesn't match what was offered in the catalogs of the day. Still not sure if its factory are after the fact but it sure looks right.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #23 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 12:34am
Print Post  
Not to disparage Stevens work, but some over runs on the checkering aren't that surprising from the ones I've seen.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #24 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:38am
Print Post  
Got some ammo loaded up for it with the bullets just lightly engraving when the action is closed.  Typically I size my .32-40 bullets to .321", but I left these a bit bigger at .323" and will see how they shoot.  I hope to get out to one of the quieter, less heavily used ranges I belong to one day next week so that I can take my time and shoot a few test targets without too much distraction.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Well, after a few delays I finally got out to the range today to test fire a few rounds through the .32-40 Stevens.  A bit of a tricky rear sight and the adjustments are extremely fine and not very well marked for old eyes.  It took me quite a few rounds to finally get it onto the target and then some very fine "guestimation" adjustments to get it shooting into the centre of the target.  In all I fired about 50 rounds at 100 yards just getting used to the gun, the sights, and the trigger.  That trigger is absolutely feather light!  I've shot lots of guns with set triggers before, but this one makes sure that you are REALLY paying attention.  I'm not complaining at all, you just have to make sure you keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.  My choice of targets wasn't the best either as the front globe insert almost covers the entire outer black ring at 100 yards, so I'll try some different targets next time.
One of the other club members was at the range today and he was hosting his massage therapist and her 11 year old son to a day of shooting.  She had shot a little bit before, but it was her son's very first day behind the trigger of a rifle.  After he had a bit of practice with a .22 rimfire we let him fire about 5 rounds out of my Stevens.  He loved it and was very excited about it all.  The best part was that even at 11 years of age he was a real little gentleman, paid attention, did as he was told, and thanked us afterwards with a handshake.  Nice to see at least one of the younger generation who is growing up right ...

Here are the last 10 rounds of the day.  Pulled one high (there always has to be one flyer doesn't there?) and the vertical stringing on the rest of them is likely just me with a hazy sight picture.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 11:19am
Print Post  
What bullet are you using?

Most of the shots appear to be tipped a little.

I do think that your rifle will "shoot" with a little more load development, although it much harder, using fixed ammo.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Bullets may be tipping, but this kind of stringing is also one of the usual symptoms of inconsistent velocity and/or a bedding problem with the forearm. 

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
If pressure signs are absent, I'd put a wee bit more powder in and try that once more. 
I spent a couple of years going back and monkeying around with fixed ammo in a .32-40, and found that if the combination of ingredients was right, the rifle would shoot just about as well fixed as it always has with breech seated loads. It was a fun venture, and quite satisfying. My two best loads were a 185 gr bullet and 14.1gr. of 4227, and a 193gr.(I think) bullet with 13.6 gr. 4759. That last one was fun because it came from a posting here by Froggie, and I just happened to have similar stuff to try. Bingo.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Beautiful Rifle!

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint