Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens No. 47 Modern Range Target in .32-40 (Read 7481 times)
Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Stevens No. 47 Modern Range Target in .32-40
Aug 15th, 2018 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Well, my new (to me) Stevens No. 47 Modern Range Target rifle in .32-40 WCF just arrived today and it's a beauty!  Very good bore and very nice overall.  Can't wait to get it up to my local range and shoot it a bit.  (Do any of our resident Stevens experts happen to know what years the Stevens model 47's were manufactured?)  Enjoy!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens No. 47 Modern Range Target in .32-40
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 1:27am
Print Post  
The 44 1/2 action was made 1903 to 1915.  The s/n would, I want to guess, put it somewhere in the middle.  Stevens' records are gone, so that's the best anyone can do.   

<div class=

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 1:38am
Print Post  
OK, thanks!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 8:19am
Print Post  
What you have isn't merely a #47, but, with the non-standard checkering, a DELUXE 47!  Before the introduction of the 44-1/2 action, it would have been called a #48, but during the short production of this action (1903-1916), Stevens dropped the #48 designation, making checkering one of many options available, like the DS triggers.

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Is the underside of the "S" pistol grip checkered too?  ... very cool!  I don't think I've seen that before.

I think that Stevens rifles are still undervalued relative to Winchester, Remington or Ballard single-shot rifles.  your rifle looks like a great original survivor.

I like it!
Joe

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 8:35am
Print Post  
Joe Do... wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 8:21am:
Is the underside of the "S" pistol grip checkered too?  ... very cool!  I don't think I've seen that before.

Would guess that was part of the basic checkering option--$4 extra c.1910. But higher priced checkering options were also available, going up to $8, when the cost of a Favorite was only $6-7.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 9:01am
Print Post  
In the beginning, the even-numbered models (i.e., the 46,48,50,52,54) were "deluxe" versions of the odd numbers.  That always meant fancier wood; but as Redsetter notes, it could also include (fancier) checkering, cut engraving rather than etched, and other upgrades over their lower-number "twins".  And as Redsetter further notes, eventually the 46, 48, 50, and 52 models were dropped.  The 54, however, stayed, displacing the 53 as the "top of the heap", at least until the "Pope Special" came along to temporarily displace it, at least for target shooters seeking the best, or the prestige of Pope's name.

Now I wish I could say that's all there was to it.  But, since a customer could order just about any extra on any model at fixed extra costs, it has been said with much truth that it's harder to find a Stevens rifle that exactly fits a catalog description than not.  In short, the collecting of Stevens single shots is always interesting, often challenging, and sometimes simply "confusin' and not amusin'", to quote Al Capp.

Bill Lawrence
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2018 at 2:00pm by Bill Lawrence »  

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Speaking of checkering, while God and the Stevens Shop Manager were likely the only ones who knew jut how elaborate the checkering could get, I've seen not just fancy patterns but ones containing two sizes of diamonds within the same border.  If I remember correctly, Maynards are the only other rifles that sometimes exhibit such a height of fancy.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Hayface

Reply #8 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Gosh that's a pretty rifle.   

However, the amount of overruns and the inconsistencies in the pattern of the checkering from one side compared to the other makes me wonder if that checkering wasn't applied post factory.   

Still, overall a mighty nice looking rifle.

Hayface

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Did you get this from Ontario Canada by any chance?  It looks like one that was listed at Ellwood Epps recently.  I've bought a few single shots from them.  The nice ones they've had in were from a collector that passed away a few years ago.

Chris.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 10:36am
Print Post  
A very pretty Stevens Al! And very unique also!

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 9:09am:
I've seen not just fancy patterns but ones containing two sizes of diamonds within the same border.  If I remember correctly, Maynards are the only other rifles that sometimes exhibit such a height of fancy.

When the height off fancy ascends too high, it can degrade into garishness, which is what I think of that 2-size diamond pattern, not to mention all those ornately-carved German stocks (though of course the workmanship itself on them is fabulous). 

Those doing the checkering being human, it would not be surprising in they reserved their very best efforts for the most expensive guns--those with highly-figured wood, engraving, etc.  Although the original buyer of this 47 opted for checkering & DSs, both very practical improvements over the standard model, he did not splurge on fancy wood, cheekpiece, or other embellishments.  So I would imagine the worker doing the checkering on this gun was not nearly so impressed with it as we are.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Joe Do... wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 8:21am:

Yes, as a matter of fact it is.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 9:21am:
Did you get this from Ontario Canada by any chance?  It looks like one that was listed at Ellwood Epps recently.

Yes, this is the rifle that Epps in Ontario had listed.  I also bought an 1882 Maynard from them a short time ago that might have been from the same collection?  I made an offer on this Stevens and when they finally contacted the consignor they said yes and I bought it.  The only real "wart" it has is it looks like someone drilled a hole for a rear sling swivel which puzzles me, but hopefully it will be a small fix to fill it and blend it in.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
I prepped about 150 brass yesterday and lubed and sized some suitable cast bullets and will finish loading them up today.  I'm going to try my old tried and true Cowboy Action Shooting load of 12 grains of 2400.  I used that nice soft target load very successfully in our CAS rifle side matches in my 1885 High Wall and Ballard in .32-40.  We're planning on a range day this Friday and I'm looking forward to trying this Stevens out on paper.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint