Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard #4 1/2 A-1 Mid Range (Read 8959 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Ballard #4 1/2 A-1 Mid Range
Reply #30 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 7:06pm:
Although I've looked back through these posts twice, I can't find what it is you're correcting with the Acraglass.  What did I miss?  Insect damage to the horn?

Bill Lawrence

Take a look at the 5th image Bill, and the horn tip. The horn tip had a chip off each side at the top edge Bill. It was the length of the horn tip and about 1/8" wide. So about 3/8" by 1/8" missing on both sides. 
Once I've repaired it, I hope the match will be so good it will be tough to see. But regardless it will look better than missing horn.

Removed the forearm today. The Saran Wrap did it's job and it easily came off. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The blue tape is even with the edges of the break, so once it finishes curing I'll carefully cut through the epoxy at the parting line and the excess will come off the tape and not be on the wood. Then I'll shape it down and cut the accent lines again, and give it a light coat of Wipe On Poly to seal it.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the explanation, Vall.  When I've had to repair horn (usually insect damage), I've made my "paste" by mixing fine dust collected by sanding real horn buttons with clear epoxy or "super glue".  Because horn is usually quite varigated, once polished down, almost no one spots the repairs.  I hope your technique works that well, too.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #32 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 12:30am
Print Post  
I've done this a few times Bill, and find the dyed Acraglass works extremely well. Occasionally I use a Sharpie to put some varying colors on the repair if needed. But tiny repairs like this one rarely need touch up.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #33 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Just about finished. Needs a few coats of WOP to bring up the sheen, and then should be OK. Not a perfect match, but better than missing horn!

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Excellent Vall!  When I run out of horn dust, I'll give your one-step-less technique a try.

Also, I'm beginning to think Acraglass can solve many non-metal-related problems that I used to not even think of it for.

You learn so much from people on this forum!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Statesrights
Senior Forum Member

Reply #35 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
This thread alone more than justified my annual membership. Thank you to all contributors.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #36 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 4:26pm:
Excellent Vall!  When I run out of horn dust, I'll give your one-step-less technique a try.

Also, I'm beginning to think Acraglass can solve many non-metal-related problems that I used to not even think of it for.

You learn so much from people on this forum!

Bill Lawrence

Thanks Bill! I like the Acraglass gel vs. the runny epoxy for things like this. The flocking I have came from bedding kits and is brown and black. So I sometimes mix them if need be for darker repairs. The brown and black dye packs that come with Acraglass are really tough to get small amounts out of! A toothpick touched to the dye can often end up as too much when working with very small amounts of the gel in tiny repairs.
I went over the 5 accent lines with a Sharpie after the picture to darken them like the existing lines are. I touched them up, and wiped the tops off before it dried to make it look aged in the lines.
Don (rustyrelyx) sent me a PM and mentioned the horn tips were buffalo horn and originally black. The 4 or 5 I have must be all faded from age, as they're the color I pictured above, and no longer black. So I had to match the aged look vs. making the horn black.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
I've also become very interested in the flocking you use,  Are Acraglass and the flocking both components of the bedding kit you mentioned?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #38 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:34am
Print Post  
Very nicely repaired ... that looks awesome.  If you didn't know better it would be tough to say it had been repaired at all!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #39 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 10:16pm:
I've also become very interested in the flocking you use,  Are Acraglass and the flocking both components of the bedding kit you mentioned?

Bill Lawrence

Acraglass is a Brownells product and sold as a liquid or gel. Brownells does add flocking that is simply ground up fiberglass to their gel kits, but it's white and not colored. I have several bedding kits made by another company that came with baggies of brown and black flocking, so I'm using the flocking from those kits as color and strengthening. Have to look at the boxes to see a brand, but they're very old kits and may not be sold today.

IP Logged

38-55Kidd
Participating Member

Reply #40 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Great job Vall. That is a really nice rifle. I am glad to see it in your collection.
What will the next find be ?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #41 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 10:09am
Print Post  
38-55Kidd wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 2:41pm:
Great job Vall. That is a really nice rifle. I am glad to see it in your collection.
What will the next find be ?

Thanks! 
Well I'm still hoping I'll find an affordable Zischang Ballard or Remington single shot some day!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint