Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard #4 1/2 A-1 Mid Range (Read 8986 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Ballard #4 1/2 A-1 Mid Range
Reply #15 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Aug 12th, 2018 at 8:49pm:
Gorgeous! Is it signed by Nimschke or, perhaps better yet, one of those found in Wilson's book?

Bill Lawrence

I discovered something in Dutcher's Ballard book last night Bill. He wrote that all #4 1/2's under serial number 5,000 were engraved by Nimschke. This gun is around serial number 2000, so confirms it's in that range.
After 5000 it was Nimcshke, Conrad Ulrich, and another unknown engraver. Then after 8500 it was Ulrich, and possibly his son George.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

DWT1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 8:54am
Print Post  
A really neat old Ballard. Never heard of the 44-75 Ballard. Any problems with loading this old timer ? What do you use for the parent case ? Dale.

35th Security Police Squadron, Phan Rang AB, RVN, May 70-71.
All gave some, some gave all.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #17 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 9:18am
Print Post  
DWT1885 wrote on Aug 13th, 2018 at 8:54am:
A really neat old Ballard. Never heard of the 44-75 Ballard. Any problems with loading this old timer ? What do you use for the parent case ? Dale.

Thanks Dale! 
The .44-75 is extremely close to the .45-90 Win. except the .44-75 is 2.5" long, and the .45-90 is 2.4" long. A .45-100 is 2.6" and might work better. I've got some .45-90, so I'll size them and see if they gain any length? Otherwise I'll need to buy some Starline .45-100.
I might be able to size them down with my .44-100 Ballard dies, but have to try it. Otherwise it's a spendy C&H4D die set at around $215.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Very nice Ballard.
Have never seen the nose cap extension. Looks good.
Chuck

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #19 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
After slugging the bore today I found out quickly it isn't a .44-75 caliber. A .45 caliber round ball just set well above the muzzle crown, and after slugging it measured .411" groove. I figured it might be a .40-63 Everlasting, so tried one of those loaded rounds and it slipped right in. 
I'll need to do a chamber cast to ensure it truly is the .40-63 EL. Ballard, but it is one of the early calibers for this model. And the chamber is straight walled, so not one of the bottleneck calibers.
The good news is I've already got lots of brass and loaded ammo for this caliber and bore size. My Rigby Ballard is the same caliber and bore size.

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #20 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Beautiful Ballard! It's nice when you can make those deals happen, congratulations! Are all the Ballards out west? They're not often seen in my neck of the woods. Which is odd, seeing as they were made here in New England. Thanks for posting that nice rifle.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #21 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Gunfunpow wrote on Aug 13th, 2018 at 3:36pm:
Beautiful Ballard! It's nice when you can make those deals happen, congratulations! Are all the Ballards out west? They're not often seen in my neck of the woods. Which is odd, seeing as they were made here in New England. Thanks for posting that nice rifle.

Not sure about all, but seems to be a good number out in my area. I saw 6 or 7 for sale at our show, and that didn't include the five I had for sale.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 13th, 2018 at 4:21pm:
Gunfunpow wrote on Aug 13th, 2018 at 3:36pm:

Not sure about all, but seems to be a good number out in my area. I saw 6 or 7 for sale at our show, and that didn't include the five I had for sale.

Oregon City was the end of the Oregon Trail.  That probably explains it  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
That might indeed help explain it, Schuetzenmeister.  But I'd think that the majority of rifles that come over the Trail were plain guns, hunting guns, Pacifics, Montanas, and the like when it came to Ballards.  And that's certainly not what Vall dragged home this time (or pretty much any other time, or so it seems).  So how about it, Marlinguy; what models and calibers has your experience suggested turn up most frequently in Oregon?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #24 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
You pretty well nailed it Bill. I see more Pacific and #2 Hunter models than anything else. Some #4 also, but not a prevalent as the #5 Pacific and #2 Hunter models.
At big shows I see more deluxe models, but often they came in from other places around the West. The schuetzen rifles are definitely very popular at shows like Denver, but I rarely have anyone even bring one into an OAC show to show me or sell. 
I actually had two #5 Pacific Ballards offered to me for sale over the weekend. Both blued completely and not properly refinished. Would have been great shooters, and both were .45-70 caliber. I bought a #5 Pacific at a local gun store 18 months ago that has been in Oregon it's entire life according to the family that owned it since new.

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #25 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 11:59am
Print Post  
What Bill said makes a lot of sense. Ballard's do occasionally show up, more often in poor shape than not, but the hunt continues nonetheless. The Pope Ballard I found was just pure luck, before that one came along they were few and far between. Glad I joined the forum, where these single shots are front and center for us all to enjoy.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #26 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Gunfunpow wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 11:59am:
What Bill said makes a lot of sense. Ballard's do occasionally show up, more often in poor shape than not, but the hunt continues nonetheless. The Pope Ballard I found was just pure luck, before that one came along they were few and far between. Glad I joined the forum, where these single shots are front and center for us all to enjoy.

If you ever get a chance to go to Denver in May for the Colorado Gun Collectors annual show, I'd guarantee you'll see Pope rifles for sale. I've never gone there and not seen at least a couple there for sale. Both of my Pope Ballards came from that show in different years.
Two of my three Schoyen Ballards also came from the Denver show.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #27 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Saran Wrap around the barrel, and taped off to protect it. Mixed up some Acraglass gel and added some brown flocking to color it to match the horn tip. Once it sets up for 24 hrs. I'll remove the tape and Saran Wrap and shape it down to match the horn tip.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Vall - Roberson Ctg Co has 45-75 Win & Sharps.  Are CNC ctgs ... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Although I've looked back through these posts twice, I can't find what it is you're correcting with the Acraglass.  What did I miss?  Insect damage to the horn?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint