Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) My Home Created Muzzle Loading Slug Gun (Read 4618 times)
oldracer
Participating Member

Re: My Home Created Muzzle Loading Slug Gun
Reply #15 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 12:43am
Print Post  
Because of the 20# weight there is little to no kick. I am using only 80 grain FFG though and if I were to go past 300 yards then I'd go up to 110 or even 120 and then get some kick I guess.

That cheek piece was on a rifle I bought that had the aforementioned Douglass XX barrel. It had been mounted with a Unertl but when the owner died an unscroupulous shooter I was told talked his widow into selling it for a low price?! I like the idea of layers of leather as moisture will not hurt them if there is any sweat or moisture. I had made one out of a piece of walnut years ago onto a Sharps 45-70 that had a straight stock and I could not see the scope I had mounted. When I go close at home I went to the range with the rifle and a small wood plane and trimmed the wood until the height was oaky.
John

IP Logged

oldman46
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Still all in all a nice slug gun made the way you want. must have raised a few eyebrows using the wood plane on the stock. Have fun cause that's what it is all about. Frank

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #17 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
I really like that leather cheekpiece idea. My chunk gun weighs 32 lbs, has a 36" long barrel, is .38 caliber round ball and doesn't move at all when fired. Has the old style buttplate, which I can't feel under recoil. Only problem is it's a real workout shooting that thing. But, I may just use the leather cheekpiece idea to get me up off the comb more.

IP Logged

oldracer
Participating Member

Reply #18 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
The laminated leather cheek piece is from the original chunk gun I bought from a young fellow in WI. I can get maybe 20 shots done before I start getting very tired out because: lift gun, place on bench, shoot gun, lift gun and set back on the foam pad standing upright and clean with wet/dry patches, load powder/wad/bullet and repeat. Just like a gym work out!

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #19 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Well, we must be in pretty good shape then, humping these heavyweights on and off the bench!! But, it is why I'm building a lighter weight Billinghurst style .45

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint