Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Recoil sensitivity (Read 6456 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Recoil sensitivity
Reply #15 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:51am
Print Post  
It is odd, but pistol recoil doesn't seem to bother me but the biggest was a 44 Mag and I never shot a lot of competition with a handgun.  I always shy away from 3 1/2 mag and any rifle bigger than an 06.  As Fredrick Sellous, great white African hunter, said of the 4 bore, I wish I had left it alone.  I spoiled my offhand for life.  Cheesy

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
It's not recoil sensitivity, its "shoulder mirage" caused from the heat waves from burning 70 grains of powder versus 20 grains!   Roll Eyes

Twitter  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 9:18am
Print Post  
I'm not a fan of recoil in pistols either. I found the factory .41 mag and .44 mag loads very abusive. Both were fine with my moderate handloads though.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
I never minded recoil in high power revolvers. I believe that some of the guys that shot automatics were the ones most likely to belllyache about the hard kickers. Figure it's because they shoot with a tighter grip to help the monkey motion of the auto's functions. The revolver responds well to a looser, absorbing method. Who, knows, I could be all wet here. But, I never saw action pistol guys doing as well in silhouette shooting nor vice versa. Bullseye shooter could go either way, I'd guess.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
For benchrest competition I found the 38-55 to be brutal and the 32-40 to be quite pleasant. Powder choice also plays a part in it as well back when I was shooting competitive trap and some skeet going from Red Dot to 800X made a significant difference in felt recoil. At the time I was out practicing three days a week plus shooting the weekly match and meat shoots and I ended up bruising my shoulder pretty bad. Doc.said I would have to stop to let it heal but the switch to 800X made continued shooting very doable or I should say by far more bearable.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Back in the day when I thought I 10' tall and bullet proof, I did some work for a guy in exchange for one of Dick Casulls new hot rods, the 454.  We were shooting sillywetts at the time and it performed exceptional on the rams -and then some - it ruined bowling pins.  Smiley  A shooter friend of mine happened to be a Dr. and when I went to him complaining about my wrist aching he slapped me up along side the head... Newton's third law applies - for every action there is a reaction.
I shoot this less and less it seems and when I have to, it's with loads that don't do it justice, just save a handful of Dick's loads back for when an image of my younger self feels they have something to prove.  Grin
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
A friend had one of those 454s.  He had some kind of problem in his chest.  A doctor told him even the biggest men should not shoot it more than a few shots in a session because  that level of recoil could cause trauma to organs   Shocked

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Plenty of doctors think any contact with a gun must be associated with something bad. Plenty of other things that could shake a person up that they seem to ignore- motocross anybody?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
With rifles the bigger concern is with detached retina's and two of my friends have suffered from such.

JLouis

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 3:53am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 7:07pm:
With rifles the bigger concern is with detached retina's and two of my friends have suffered from such.

JLouis

What were they shooting?

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 3:56am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 10:22pm:
Sunday morning was shooting the second half of a 100 shot OH match.  Patty was sitting to my right reading a book.  Once between shots she commented that she loves to watch me shoot. She said I look so powerful and confident and handsome when I shoot.  In my deepest most confident voice I said thank you sugarbabe.  

Recoil? Did someone say, recoil?  Huh

Sounds like the hook is set  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 3:08pm:

If you go down the shotgun racks at a trap shoot and click all the safeties on , (don't get caught), you will soon see that it makes little difference what sort of gun is fired. We all anticipate the gun going off.  Has little to do with recoil. 

Joe. 

I suppose that is why trap guns have almost no choke  Grin

There was a guy taking pictures of a flintlock demonstration I gave.  He happened to catch fire in the pan.  My eyes were both wide open.  I always wondered if I blinked when the pan flashed.  Cool

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
BobZ I don't recall what cartridges they were using AC Gould was shooting BP Ctg benchrest matches and not real sure what Jerry Ceave had been shooting. What I found interesting was both detachments were in their right shooting eye and often wondered how that might have been related. Both had to re-learn to shoot left handed and both now typically shoot a 25 or at times a 28 and understandably so and maybe AC Gould will chime in I am not sure if Jerry visits this site.Jerry is the Schuetzen Meister for the Central Sierra Schuetzen group and AC is a member in ours.

JLouis

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Various of my older friends have suffered detached retinas but were never target shooters or addicted to heavy recoiling guns.

So far as I know, detached retinas are generally result of weakened attachment of retina to underlying tissue. However, seems rational that any tendency toward loosening of retina can be helped along by heavy recoil or other adequate, suddenly applied physical force. 

At least two older persons I know had both retinas detach over only a few years. One had to be removed from his office by local acute medical personal when second retina extensively detached while he was sitting at his desk, leaving him totally without any useful vision.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #29 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Rifle recoil is really a minimal risk compared to old guys riding trail bikes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint