Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens scope information (Read 2379 times)
Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Stevens scope information
Aug 10th, 2018 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Looking for information sources. In general for what was offered and when. Specifically on a model No.555. I know they had upwards of 100 models.

Catalog descriptions or value guides seem about the only easy sources, are there other books that would be beneficial?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens scope information
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
The catalog description is as specific as you're going to find for that particular model.

For more general info on the entire Stevens scope line, try to find "Riflescopes for the 20th Century" in the July, 2006, ed. of Precision Shooting.  Sadly (or rather, tragically!), that wonderful & irreplaceable magazine folded several yrs ago, so there's no way to obtain a copy from the publisher, as far as I know.  Maybe an internet search will turn it up. 

Some Stevens info in Robert's Breech Loading SS Rifle.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
There are at least two Stevens catalogs dedicated just to the company's telescopic sights.  The more common one is traditionally dated 1903 and has been reprinted at least twice.  The current reprint is offered by Cornell Publications in Michigan.  Unfortunately the veracity of their reprints has been questioned more than once in collectors' forums (this one included).

As for the other catalog, original copies have shown up on eBay only twice in the last 12 years or so (I was the underbidder both times) and as far as I know, it's not been reprinted.

Last, and sadly, the article listed by Redsetter is pretty much your only other alternative, if you can find it.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Aug 10th, 2018 at 8:42pm:
There are at least two Stevens catalogs dedicated just to the company's telescopic sights.  The more common one is traditionally dated 1903 and has been reprinted at least twice.  The current reprint is offered by Cornell Publications in Michigan.  Unfortunately the veracity of their reprints has been questioned more than once in collectors' forums (this one included).

As for the other catalog, original copies have shown up on eBay only twice in the last 12 years or so (I was the underbidder both times) and as far as I know, it's not been reprinted.

Bill Lawrence

The second catalog is, if anything, even more impressive than the first; bought mine on ebay for a LOT, so it might have been one of those you were bidding on.  It includes the first notice of Stevens' new & revolutionary detachable mounts, introduced in 1904.

Haven't seen Cornell's repro of the first, but I assume it's accurate, because I'd bet my bollocks it's a photostat of the first reprint by the American Memorabilia Society in 1965.  The latter is very nicely done, but what wasn't reproduced was the original's beautiful & expensive embossed cover, which I discovered only when I finally acquired an original.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
So far the only thing I have seen was out of Stroebels. But I have not seen any of the dedicated scope catalogs. Any idea if it isn’t in any of the reprinted catalogs?

The roll mark is J Stevens arms & tools co. Which I thought was the earlier, pre war, stamp.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Stevens #555 Scope;

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Great, always wanted a reason to have a pocket rifle Smiley

Thanks for that.  I had seen the 545 in an ad, but not the 555. Looks like a catalog or two should be in the future.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on Aug 10th, 2018 at 10:12pm:
So far the only thing I have seen was out of Stroebels.

Which, mainly, was robbed from Roberts.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Congratulations, Redsetter, on acquiring originals of both catalogs.  I only have the 1903 (and, yes, its cover is exceptional), and you pretty much do have to be the Deep Pockets who outbid me for the other one.  Oh, well, maybe I'll luck out next time (assuming that there is one).

Also, congratulations to you, Dellet, if your inquiry means you've acquired a scoped pocket rifle.  They are, in my less-than-humble opinion, one of the rarest Stevens products.  They're also the answer to another poster's statement some time ago that "You can't hit anything with a pocket rifle anyway".

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 9:16am:

They're also the answer to another poster's statement some time ago that "You can't hit anything with a pocket rifle anyway".

Bill Lawrence

From the fling I had hunting squirrels with a scoped pistol (because using a rifle had become too easy), the would-be pocket rifle hunter had better know how to acquire as solid a field-rest as is possible without a bench, & scope power above 2X is more aggravating than helpful.   

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 9:16am:
Congratulations, Redsetter, on acquiring originals of both catalogs.  I only have the 1903 (and, yes, its cover is exceptional), and you pretty much do have to be the Deep Pockets who outbid me for the other one.  Oh, well, maybe I'll luck out next time (assuming that there is one).

Also, congratulations to you, Dellet, if your inquiry means you've acquired a scoped pocket rifle.  They are, in my less-than-humble opinion, one of the rarest Stevens products.  They're also the answer to another poster's statement some time ago that "You can't hit anything with a pocket rifle anyway".

Bill Lawrence

Don't have one yet, but have been looking for a while. Finding the scope adds some incentive and became available first, but I am not sure of the mounts 

Mounted on a 44 to check it out and it is very clear. I was surprised that the eye relief actually is correct for off hand. either way it's a nice little scope.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Suspect someone set it up for use on a real rifle, just as you've done.  Rear mount not Stevens (maybe Lyman 438, but could be several others), & Stevens front ring should have a V-notch, which I don't see on this one.  Of course the recoil spring has been added.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
The front mount is V notched but possibly added. 

Only one faint mark that looks like a 6 or 8 on the rear base. I had considered Malcom as a possibility for the mounts. 

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Your mounts appear painted and of the type that were commonly supplied with lower cost scopes from the second quarter of the 20th century that were intended for non-target-grade rimfires.

Also, I'm sorry, Redsetter, that pocket rifles were not "real" enough for you.  I find them very enjoyable, within their limits, of course, which for me is around 50 yards without a scope.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on Aug 10th, 2018 at 11:00pm:
Great, always wanted a reason to have a pocket rifle Smiley

Thanks for that.  I had seen the 545 in an ad, but not the 555. Looks like a catalog or two should be in the future.

Know a fellow who has a setup like the one pictured above, thought the frame is slightly larger than the later pocket rifles... has the wire stock, and a Cataract scope is mounted on the pocket rifle. Also has the wood bore wiping rod.
It's a really neat set-up, and a great piece of history.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint