Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ever heard of these? (Read 4136 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Ever heard of these?
Aug 4th, 2018 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
I was trying to find actual data on lock times of hammer fired vs striker fired rifles (I didn't) and I came across this:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Re: Ever heard of these?
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
I've never heard of this company/rifle, but they're sure not shy about pricing, ouch.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
That's one beautiful hunting rifle, too pretty to hunt with though.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 5:01am
Print Post  
At $18,000 (with no added options), I guess you could say that's a bit pricey for a hunting rifle.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 6:54am
Print Post  
Appears to be an individual gunsmith, not a company.

Knowing what pals of my private banker son-in-law pay for shotguns, (which they might bring out once a year to shoot one round of skeet at the Sun Valley resort), the price doesn't surprise me at all.  Wealth must display itself, especially when it's nouveau.

<div class=

IP Logged

rr2241tx

Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Eh, come on ya pikers! It's priced in Kiwi dollars, only about $12K base price plus you get to make at least 2 trips to NZ and maybe book a hunt so you don't have to bring home an unused firearm. Probably get to have no end of fun with Customs and BATFE when you get here as well. Sell a kidney, half your liver and your left cornea and you're nearly there.

BTW, if you do buy one be sure to tell your wife to invite me to the garage sale.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
rr2241tx wrote on Aug 5th, 2018 at 11:38am:
Eh, come on ya pikers! It's priced in Kiwi dollars, only about $12K base price plus you get to make at least 2 trips to NZ and maybe book a hunt so you don't have to bring home an unused firearm. Probably get to have no end of fun with Customs and BATFE when you get here as well. Sell a kidney, half your liver and your left cornea and you're nearly there.

BTW, if you do buy one be sure to tell your wife to invite me to the garage sale.

For the price they should include a free hunt in NZ!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Gorgeous rifle!

One of my friends told me he had somewhere around $8k in one of Don Brown's Alex Henry ML  Grin  If they were quick and easy, they would be on the shelf  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 5th, 2018 at 2:07pm:
rr2241tx wrote on Aug 5th, 2018 at 11:38am:

For the price they should include a free hunt in NZ!

Excellent idea! Make that free (and multiply successful) NZ big game hunt an essential acceptance test. After all, that is what those rifles are designed for.

IP Logged

ireload2

Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 1:10am
Print Post  
I had a bit of disagreement with the principal owner operator of Soroka at Accurate Reloading over the materials he uses. Notice the breech block is 17-4 PH stainless. Well that is one of the very worst galling steels produced.

In the surgical instrument business we had to take a lot of care in the design to make sure it would not gall. Even so when it was autoclave sterilized there was a chance you would have galling since you are not allowed to lubricate surgical instruments. 

Even so I investigated the failure of many hundreds of surgical instruments that galled due to poor design and use of 17-4 PH used in a sliding function or close fitting thread.

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 11:10am
Print Post  
ireload2, I heartily agree. 27 Years of Making Optical Molds from Stainless. Ours were 420F SS and 440c Stainless. And these were Moving components against each other in high pressure/temperature conditions. Then 17 years in Orthopedic
Tool Making prototypes and 17-4 was one of the materials of choice. I came to like it as I kept a supply of various sizes all Heat Treated as I found it Machined better Heat Treated. In both jobs Galling was an ever presented issue. But for the Optical Molding not really an option. We were Making High
Quality Lenses. In the Operating instruments they were Development/Prototypes and or Static not active moving parts
assembly's. When you think about it Rifle parts are not nearly as closely fitted as some of the stuff we did. And Lubrication is allowed. Would not want to depend on a Machine Gun out of 17-4.
They do not like lots of Grease or the Hammering of components. Well enough. It was good to see someone else who felt as I have about the Faults of 17-4. Regards, FITZ.
OLD TUCK. Smiley

IP Logged

ray
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
And if you don't want the hassle of dragging it home I can store it here in NZ, though it might pay to have your own safe with a secret combination.
Probably collect you from the airport as well and put you up for a night or so!

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Men pay four or more times that for a pickup that will be ready for the crusher in 15 years, when this rifle will probably still be going strong in a hundred and still be worth in those dollars what was paid for it. Plus you can hug it!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #13 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Yup, that's a really nice rifle. But.... It's not an original Farq. Admit it. Isn't that what you really want?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint