Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Need Help With Beech/Beach sight Repair (Read 2182 times)
50target

Need Help With Beech/Beach sight Repair
Jul 29th, 2018 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
I just acquired  Stevens 44 in 22LR that has the same  sight set up; a Lyman tang with disc and a Beech/Beach front sight as another Stevens 44.  On the new Stevens, the ivory bead is gone but the lollipop is still there.

Need help getting  that  ivory bead replaced.
Anybody know someone that can do a quality job?

Thanks
Bob

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Need Help With Beech/Beach sight Repair
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
The Lyman Beach sight was one of the most popular Stevens options.  But forget about replacing the bead with ivory...unless you happen to know a Chinese ivory smuggler. Some kind of white plastic, micarta, etc., will have to suffice.  I've done this before & it's not hard, at least on a Lyman #5, where the ivory is a tiny rectangular slab inserted into a socket.  You just whittle down a chip of suitable material with an Exacto knife, razor blade, whatever you've got, until it's the right size then glue it in place.  Harder to do on a 5b, where the ivory is a very tiny cylinder inserted into the folding leaf. 

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jul 29th, 2018 at 2:17pm:
The Lyman Beach sight was one of the most popular Stevens options.  But forget about replacing the bead with ivory...unless you happen to know a Chinese ivory smuggler. Some kind of white plastic, micarta, etc., will have to suffice.  I've done this before & it's not hard, at least on a Lyman #5, where the ivory is a tiny rectangular slab inserted into a socket.  You just whittle down a chip of suitable material with an Exacto knife, razor blade, whatever you've got, until it's the right size then glue it in place.  Harder to do on a 5b, where the ivory is a very tiny cylinder inserted into the folding leaf. 

Buy some small micarta pieces from knife handle slabs (that are legally made using ivory dust), and make your replacement bead out of a small piece.
You can cut the pieces small enough to go into a 5C collet, and turn your final bead in the lathe.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

KFW
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
when trying to whittle down a miniscule peg, i put little thing roughed out in my dremel tool chuck that's clamped in my vise. run it at high, speed dress it down with a needle file(s) and emery. hardest part is not dropping the thing in my floor clutter.
best kw

IP Logged

50target

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Thanks everyone. It is a very tiny bead, round in shape. It appears to have a socket that it fits into on its bottom with a post behind it (muzzle side) for support so it isn't easily broken off. Yes micarta would work. Trying to get that round shape is going to get to be a trick. Don't know if I have the skill level so that is why I'm looking.
Bob

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 7:38am
Print Post  
I have a box of ivory piano keys somewhere. Makes perfect t beads. mh

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Quote:
On the new Stevens, the ivory bead is gone but the lollipop is still there.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote:
On the new Stevens, the ivory bead is gone but the lollipop is still there.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Looks like a shotgun bead to me.  However, the fascinating part is that it's made of unregulated Mammoth ivory!  I knew from shows I've seen on History Channel & NatGeo that mining for Mammoth tusks is rampant in Siberia, because the permafrost is thawing. It's technically illegal without a gov't permit, but northern Siberia is a lawless wilderness.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
It's legal in Alaska, too, as long as it is done by the indigenous peoples and artistically worked in some way for both mammoth and walrus.

IP Logged

50target

Reply #9 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 8:27am
Print Post  
JohnBoy, thanks for that link. I called myself checking everywhere for something like that but didn't see it. Looks like that is the ticket.
Thanks to all.

IP Logged

notlwonk

Reply #10 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Look for knitting/tatting needles that are made of ivory. Already round and small in dia.

IP Logged

50target

Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
notlwonk wrote on Aug 5th, 2018 at 6:34pm:
Look for knitting/tatting needles that are made of ivory. Already round and small in dia.

Who would have thought. That is why I posted on this site. Knowledge and a helping spirit.
Thanks to all
Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint