Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Traditional rifle scope rules (Read 33225 times)
BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Traditional rifle scope rules
Reply #60 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 4:51pm:
MVA's scope niche is in BPCR and that group of competitors has served them very well. There is no way it can make the grade for current 200yd. benchrest and simply not the market it was designed for. To lower and limit the magnification for benchrest would only be disastrous for a sport that is already suffering way to much and would probably end it for most.

JLouis

John,
Aren't those BPCR rams set out at a distance of about 547 yards?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #61 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Nothing really wrong with the rules all though they could be a bit more user friendly in these times and not more stringent as some are now proposing over a simple question asked and then fully answered. Like Joe mentioned I will just keep using the same as he and continue to go out and compete with what we both have been using for to many years to now worry about.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #62 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
BP I don't have a clue I am only a 100yd. and 200yd. benchrest plainbase breech seating competitor.

JLouis

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #63 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
I'm the same, in person, as I am here. I speak my mind, especially, when it comes to rules. Rules are what put EVERYONE on the same play ground and they are what make everything even and fair.

Now, when the Traditional rules where made, there weren't commonly available Traditional scopes available or the class couldn't have come to be but, with iron sights so, they allowed more modern external scopes. That's not the case any more, there are now scopes available that meet the criteria and no, I hold no interest in the people that make them.

I see used STS, offered, here on the forum for the same price that you can buy a new MVA and they are snapped up, within a few days so, I really don't see where cost is a consideration.

Yes, you'll also need a scoping scope but, we use them for IS matches, anyway.

My only concern, regarding the rules is that the sights do not match the equipment, for the time period, making it unfair for the ODG's, at can't speak for themselves! I'm sure they would have a fit about being taken advantage of Smiley

Change the rules to iron sight only and I'm good to go. Most shot that way, anyway.

Frank
Advocate and lobbyist for the ODG's Smiley

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #64 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Frank you are not making any real sense? The ASSRA, ISSA and WSU have well established rules are you now trying to pre-date them with pre-existing rules that are not even currently existent let alone even apply?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #65 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
John D Kelly was one of those ODG's and he used a 20X Sidel Scope why do you keep neglecting to accept that fact? 

JLouis

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #66 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jul 21st, 2018 at 7:11pm:
I don't know why the ASSRA board or Schuetzenmeister is absent from this discussion but, I've yet to hear anyone recite what the rules where instituted, to accomplish. 

As I remember (they can correct me, if I'm wrong), it was so that modern shooters could "compete" with the ODG's, as directly as possible, with the equipment they had access to, made "prior to the onset of WWI". It wasn't a class, for rifles to just look traditional.

It's my recollection that, that was the soul reason. That's why you can not use Millers, FBW, Winfry or any other design, that isn't a repro of the pre WWI actions. Borchardts used a striker action but, you can't use a Miller, Hoch or any other modern striker.

Based on the original purpose of the "Traditional" class, can anyone tell me how you can actually compete with the ODG's using a 1" Programmer?

Frank

ASSRA set the date, and the reasoning for the Traditional class, not me. Although the ODG's maybe Channeling through me Wink

At the time, there weren't available scopes, there are scopes that meet that era now.

That's all I'm saying, 1917, is 1917. We can't change that but, we can make the rules adhere to it now.

I'm just the ODG messanger, don't shoot Smiley

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #67 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 8:10pm:
John D Kelly was one of those ODG's and he used a 20X Sidel Scope why do you keep neglecting to accept that fact? 

JLouis

So, go out and buy one or make a faithful copy.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #68 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
I would've guessed that Rowland's "smallest group" would have been another ODG's record that people shot for.  Perhaps it also was first beaten with "modern" equipment; but at least one shooter with "traditional" equipment (more ore less; I can't remember exactly) also beat it.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #69 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Well Frank I guess there are those who still think the world to be flat and just won't except reality.
For one so dead set on doing what the ODG's did you are not even close with your fast twist and heavy bullets or your equipment. 
And there were available scopes the Sidle being one of them being used but it or those now like them just do not fit your own personal agenda so maybe it's time you split off and start your traditional miss lead group.

JLouis
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2018 at 9:49pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #70 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Picture of Pope rifle and Sidel 20X scope hard to tell from a Fecker. Photo from The Story of Pope's Rifles. I don't remember how to post pictures but the attachment should work(maybe).

Cheers,
Laurie

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 62 KB | 34 Downloads )

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #71 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 1:45am
Print Post  
fallingblock,

That's one, where are the pictures of the rest of them?    Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #72 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 2:34am
Print Post  
Looks exactly like a Fecker with Fecker Aluminum mounts.

I would say that the Sidel scope, is the one above the mounted Fecker.

Frank
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2018 at 2:42am by frnkeore »  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #73 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 7:48am
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jul 23rd, 2018 at 2:34am:
Looks exactly like a Fecker with Fecker Aluminum mounts.

I would say that the Sidel scope, is the one above the mounted Fecker.

Frank

Exactly--just as the caption of the photo (p. 122) says it is.  Another 20X Sidel is shown on p. 115, both straight-tube designs.  They were around, but in wide use--no. 

For a selection of the kinds of scopes most shooters were using, look at the equipment list on p. 69; highest power listed is 6X.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #74 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 10:22am
Print Post  
so,  where are all these lyman,fecker, unertyl and lischert scopes coming from?    dead guys  thats where    art

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Send TopicPrint