Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Traditional rifle scope rules (Read 33179 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Traditional rifle scope rules
Reply #45 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks JL.  Wonder why they didn't show when I googles ISSA traditional rules?

As I remember (they can correct me, if I'm wrong), it was so that modern shooters could "compete" with the ODG's, as directly as possible, with the equipment they had access to, made "prior to the onset of WWI". It wasn't a class, for rifles to just look traditional.

I agree Frank. But souping up a traditional rifle and cartridge with a quick twist and long heavy bullet does not seem to be addressed. 

I like RSW's idea for the powers that be at ASSRA, ISSA and WSU to appoint a team to revise the rules to a common standard for all three organizations.

Me too! It would be very discouraging to travel many miles to find you are legal in one but some detail excludes you from another. 

Thanks Joe_S, Glad to hear there is a lot of interest out there. During this discussion I started to think my scopes might not be traditional.  They are nearly all 3/4 but have a larger objective.  Being schuetzenmeister, I hate being totally confused  Grin  Confused enough without being totally confused  Undecided

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jul 21st, 2018 at 7:32pm:
Cataract rifle scopes too, that preceded the Stevens scope line?

Though Stevens got into the scope biz by buying Cataract's patents & other assets at a bankruptcy auction, only their cheaper models were actually derived from Cataract's optical design.  Closest readily available scope in design to a Cataract would be the Stevens or Lyman 438, which I don't think most would find satisfactory for competitive shooting, though they're quite alright for small-game hunting. 

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 21st, 2018 at 7:27pm:
Not trying to be rude but why are you leaving the Sidel's out of the discussion along with the Cummins both prior to 1917.

They're just too damned hard to find, if you're talking about originals!  Not to mention that Cummins basic design was flawed by unnecessary complications.   

IP Logged

Fogman

Reply #48 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
From the NRA BPTR rules: "Mounts are to be of a traditional style of the period and contain the windage and elevation adjustments for the scope  in either, or both, the front or rear mounts. No click   
adjustments in the mount."  Why the prohibition on "clicks"? Were scopes with clicks made at a much later date?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Fogman wrote on Jul 21st, 2018 at 11:43pm:
Why the prohibition on "clicks"? Were scopes with clicks made at a much later date?

Yes, that's the reason, though the difference between "with" & "without" seems far less meaningful to me than, for ex., the difference between the large objective lenses & high-magnification of modern scopes such as a STS and those commonly in use pre-1917. 

The usefulness of "clicks" only became recognized when, after WW I, military-style position-shooting at different ranges replaced Schuetzen in popularity.  Fecker was the first to build such mounts commercially beginning in 1925.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Redsetter the Sidel was just being used as an example of the 20X and larger objectives already being around and being used prior to 1917. The Cummins just to point out enternaly adjustable scopes were also around. The rules point out faithful reproductions are acceptable leading up to the Lymans, Unertls, Feckers, Davis etc. It does not state exact copies of and the CPA Stevens is a good example of a faithful reproduction and not an exact copy of. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 12:17pm:
Redsetter the Sidel was just being used as an example of the 20X and larger objectives already being around and being used prior to 1917.JLouis

I know that's true, but they could not exactly be said to be in "common use."  Really, only a handful of Sidel's well-heeled customers had them specially built, but such advanced models were not listed in his catalogs.  (However, he did offer to build custom scopes to the buyer's specs.)

Typical of the scopes reported used in pre-war Schuetzen matches were smaller Sidels, Stevens, & Winchesters, all similar in size & power.  MVA's Winchester repro is the closest thing currently available to scopes of that period, & it's too bad the rules don't encourage their use, as MVA deserves to be rewarded for making this model available once again.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jul 21st, 2018 at 11:24pm:
BP wrote on Jul 21st, 2018 at 7:32pm:
Cataract rifle scopes too, that preceded the Stevens scope line?

Though Stevens got into the scope biz by buying Cataract's patents & other assets at a bankruptcy auction, only their cheaper models were actually derived from Cataract's optical design.  Closest readily available scope in design to a Cataract would be the Stevens or Lyman 438, which I don't think most would find satisfactory for competitive shooting, though they're quite alright for small-game hunting. 

Quote:
In 1902 (or thereabouts) Hardinge Co. acquired the rights to the Cataract range of Precision bench lathes, formerly produced by the Cataract Tool and Bicycle Company near Niagara Falls, NY (hence the name of the company) and the Cataract Tool and Optical Company, the latter being incorporated in Buffalo, (New York). "Cataract" was to become the brand name used for many of the Hardinge precision lathes produced during the next 50 years. The background to the Hardinge acquisition involved a successful range of Cataract rifle scopes that attracted the attention of the well-known gun and tool maker J.Stevens Arms & Tool Company, of Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts. In 1902 Stevens bought the company and, employing the skills of former Cataract manager Mr. F. L. Smith, continued to market the scopes under their original name.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 2:48pm:
...continued to market the scopes under their original name.

There might have been a small number of unsold Cataracts included among the assets obtained by Stevens at the auction, later sold off "as is," but no scope built by Stevens (or rather, F.L. Smith) after starting up their own production line in Chicopee Falls was marked or marketed under the Cataract name.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
MVA's scope niche is in BPCR and that group of competitors has served them very well. There is no way it can make the grade for current 200yd. benchrest and simply not the market it was designed for. To lower and limit the magnification for benchrest would only be disastrous for a sport that is already suffering way to much and would probably end it for most.

JLouis

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 4:51pm:
MVA's scope niche is in BPCR and that group of competitors has served them very well. There is no way it can make the grade for current 200yd. benchrest and simply not the market it was designed for. To lower and limit the magnification for benchrest would only be disastrous for a sport that is already suffering way to much and would probably end it for most.

JLouis

This is what is so detrimental, regarding the expressed purpose of the "traditional" class. As I said, it was established to compete with the ODG's not, suit modern shooters convince. If you want to find and use a 20X Sidel, do so or, take it apart and make a FAITHFUL copy of it.

The iron sight game is still doing well, why would a 8 - 12X scope ruin single shoot shooting, when used in it's own class? It actually might make that class more competitive and make the rifles stand out, on the line.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
There is no class separation the Traditional Rifles have been competing along side of and against the modern class and in ASSRA all you get is a T after your scores and in ISSA a seperate bar to add to your Medal. Been that way for the 17 years I have been competing in Schuetzen.
When is the last time you have seen prize rifles at a National event being handed out to Traditional Class shooters only? Or other various awards and prizes for that matter.
Or a separate Grand Agg. and the ultimate personal accomplishment. 

JLouis
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2018 at 5:50pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 4:51pm:
MVA's scope niche is in BPCR and that group of competitors has served them very well.

But wouldn't those shooters probably be using MVA's long-tube scopes, rather than their Winchester replica, their so-called B model? (It's far closer in optical design to Winchester's A model than the B, but I can look the other way on that minor point.)   

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #58 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Redsetter I have no clue what or what not the BPCR competitors can use it's not my Shooting Sport and Iam totally ignorant of their rules.

JLouis

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #59 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
A traditional class would be great and a uniform set of rules would be even greater. Gamers will always game the rules but like the NRA BPCR game a fair and fun class could bring out more shooters to basically a historical form of shooting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Send TopicPrint