Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Traditional rifle scope rules (Read 33207 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Traditional rifle scope rules
Reply #15 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Sport is suffering enough as it is and this enternal bickering is not doing it any good. Also pretty sad to see the Traditional Match now just being considered to be the addition of a T when it was actually a completly separate match from the Modern / Unlimited and not a part of.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
How many shooters does it affect.  WE don't have enough shooters to have a separate class.  It must be at least 10 years since they had separate T  class at Spokane unless they snuck it back when I wasn't there. 

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
I'm very happy with my DZ 8X Scope. A chunk of change,but quality.... I really like the extra eye relief over a Lyman ST.Pete

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
BobZ the majority of our ISSA Regional competitors are in the traditional class and there is still a separate award associated to it.

JLouis

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 20th, 2018 at 9:17pm:
BobZ the majority of our ISSA Regional competitors are in the traditional class and there is still a separate award associated to it.

JLouis

I wonder how many other matches are primarily traditional with separate classes?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Here you go Joe.  Enjoy.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jul 20th, 2018 at 10:11pm:
I shot traditional rifles in all matches at the ISSA NW regional.  Wheres my T? 

I'm with Blindeye. 

Joe.

There wasn't a class for them, correct?  How many T rifles were there at Spokane?

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Bob,

I would say well over half were traditional by ISSA rules.  I shot 4.  32-40 HW bench, 32-40 Ballard OH, 25 LW, Stevens 44 .22 OH.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
I think the ODG's are saying, "why couldn't I use it, too" and I'm sure they'd be using flat bottomed butt stocks and 6" wide forearms Smiley

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Jack, That is a lot more than I thought there would be.   

Frank, If they would have thought of it, I'm sure they would have  Grin

Joe, AS I recall with my foggy memory, I think they had 2 sets of medals when they did the T.  Seems like about 10 years ago Sue said they were just going to do one agg with everyone together. I remember getting a ISSA T bar too. I have missed too many years due to conflicts of interest  Undecided

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 8:57am
Print Post  
I get the impression that while blindeye doesn't post very often, when he does, it's worth thinking carefully about.  But maybe that's just me.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Blindeye had allot of good information to share and he was very passionate about it and rightfully so. I also believe what Randy Wright was trying to say is there is a need to ease up on the rules to make them more user friendly and not to make them more difficult. He realizes the big decline in this sport as we all do and the need to encourage more participation and I think his intentions might have been taken wrongly. It was the charm of the traditional by design rifles that brought me into this sport and those I also helped to get into it. The only complaint I have had over the years is they should have remained the main focus with the modern class being secondary soley based on each organization's mission statement to keep the history itself alive. But as most of us realize the traditional rifles have now taken a back seat and really no longer even recognized all though they were the real roots to this sport. But that's just my own opinion for what it's worth and probably really quite meaningless to most. I also noticed quite a bit of new interest in Steve Barber's new action design and I can find no fault in it but could only hope it could somehow and someday fit into the traditional rifle class not soley based on the action itself but by the overal traditional design of the rifle itself being the qualifier. Most like myself just cannot afford a new MVA HiWall bare action at $1500.00 and then to start building around it. Steve's on the other hand being under 600.00 makes it allot more doable for both the young adults and the old living and both really living on fixed incomes. 

JLouis

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Quote:
If I Had invoked the ODG's, I too would've mentioned Some (not all) were looking for Anything to give them an advantage;

I wonder how many of the ODG's ever laid their hands on the now 100+ year old "traditional" Mauser 98 action?    Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:

It seems to me that those Today, choosing to possibly handicap themselves by using less than the best equipment; are involved for reasons other making the highest possible scores.  I may be wrong. 

One day I was asked if I said, "It is more important to shoot a flintlock than to win matches."  I had to be truthful, of course I said that  Roll Eyes  Fishing is about casting a dry fly, not catching fish. If you need fish, use a net  Shocked

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jul 21st, 2018 at 3:16pm:
Quote:

It seems to me that those Today, choosing to possibly handicap themselves by using less than the best equipment; are involved for reasons other making the highest possible scores.  I may be wrong. 

One day I was asked if I said, "It is more important to shoot a flintlock than to win matches."  I had to be truthful, of course I said that  Roll Eyes  Fishing is about casting a dry fly, not catching fish. If you need fish, use a net  Shocked

Or a " DuPont Spinner " ?    Grin
Interesting how the technology race intrudes into everything, including the scopes allowed/exempted for use the traditional class.  It's an arms race!    Wink

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2018 at 3:33pm by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Send TopicPrint