Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Traditional rifle scope rules (Read 33308 times)
Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Traditional rifle scope rules
Reply #120 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Several times I've said to myself, "This is one LOG argument I'm going to stay out of."  Aww, the hell I am.

First, my thanks to frnkeore for setting down the Traditional Class rules.  As I read them and re-read the various arguments here, it seems to me that for those specific items which the rules fail to specifically address - and let's face it, no one of us, much less a committee, can ever think of or remember everything - the "out" for the affected competitor is the discretion of the Schuetzenmeister.

As an example, say I show up at a match with a Winchester Schuetzen mounting an original L. C. Cummins Duplex scope.  The Duplex, made in the 1890s through the very early 1900s, is internally adjustable; hence by the letter of the Rules, I can't compete in a Traditional match with my outfit.

However, again, as I read it, the match Schutzenmeister can choose to waive me in; and being an individual of intelligence, experience, and common sense, I'd be very surprised if he/she did not do so.

But even if the Schutzenmeister refuses my plea, the worst case is that I try shooting competitively in another match at another range and decide to petition the ASSRA to make a Traditional Rules modification.

Finally, to those who seem at worst to be saying "Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules", oh, yes, we do.  Without rules, an organization has no framework and must eventually collapse.  Therefore, do not insist that you can always "do your own thing".  Instead, if you must aforethought and with sound historical precedent challenge the Traditional Rules in a particular competition, rely on the Schutzenmeister's discretion to grant you an exception.  Beyond that, petition for a rule change.  In both cases, I'd very strongly guess that you'd win.

Oh, one more thing.  If you want the low-down on the technology available to early-20th century shooters, I recommend Edward Farrow's American Small Arms, published in 1904.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #121 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
art_ruggiero wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 1:09pm:
those mva scopes are only 5 x  probably not competitive in asra   art

Good point, Art. So, why would a 30X STS or 36X Programmer be in the same league, with what they shot prior to WWI?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #122 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Bill thee most important rule of all is to show up and have fun with whatever you might be bringing. If it doesn't quite make the traditional rules it just moves one up into the pre-say modern class where you will be just as competitive and not the end of the world by far. In all honesty it's the people who come out to play that really makes Schuetzen so enjoyable and some of the finest folks one could ever hope to meet. Some are serious and some just like to shoot and it is the shooting the Bull that is the main event and where everyone ends up at the top at the end of the day. Some Damn nice rifles also show up to look at so it's a win win win by just showing up. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #123 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
"Good point, Art. So, why would a 30X STS or 36X Programmer be in the same league, with what they shot prior to WWI?"

Because the rules in all three sanctioning Schuetzen bodies allow them to be used and the main point that keeps getting over looked. Nobody is breaking the rules or cheating in the least bit if abiding by those rules. In other words what might have been done prior to WWI is simply not at all relevant to the existing rules. 
If an individual wants to compete with the dead ole guys he can freely do so there is no rule that I know of that states that an individual cannot show up and do just that. If one can come out and better what they did while using the same it's a pretty damned good personal accomplishment and something to take great pride in even though he might not do so well in the match.

JLouis 
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2018 at 2:39pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #124 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 2:15pm:
"Good point, Art. So, why would a 30X STS or 36X Programmer be in the same league, with what they shot prior to WWI?"

Because the rules in all three sanctioning Schuetzen bodies allow them to be used and the main point that keeps getting over looked. Nobody is breaking the rules or cheating in the least bit if abiding by those rules. In other words what might have been done prior to WWI is simply not at all relevant to the existing rules. 
If an individual wants to compete with the dead ole guys he can freely do so there is no rule that I know of that states that an individual cannot show up and do just that. If one can come out and better what they did while using the same it's a pretty damned good personal accomplishment and something to take great pride in even though he might not do so well in the match.

JLouis 

But, it is not in the spirit of the pre WWI concept. ASSRA wanted competitors to use the same equipment as they did and that was why the ASSRA created the Traditional class.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #125 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 1:11pm:
As an example, say I show up at a match with a Winchester Schuetzen mounting an original L. C. Cummins Duplex scope. Bill Lawrence

On firmer ground to show up with a Cummins on a Stevens, since Stevens sold & promoted them in their catalogs before coming out with their own scopes.  One of my greatest regrets, many yrs ago before I'd ever seen a Cummins, was passing up an outstanding Stevens at a very fair price because it had two dovetails cut in the brl for mounting a Cummins; I though some idiot had cut an extra rear sight slot.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #126 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Redsetter, I didn't know or had forgotten about the early Stevens-Cummins tie-in (likely I should reread my early Stevens catalogs more closely).

However, for what it's worth, the majority of his advertising envelopes that show up nowadays, most cancelled in the late 1890s, picture Winchester rifles under a Cummins scope.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #127 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Frank clicks useful in offhand schuetzen galley, indoors,target illuminated, firing line dark.

It’s not person can’t count clicks successfully it’s just being silhouette match director at our club dozens of times I saw shooters loose count,and base reference, getting completely lost.

Clicks fine if the shooter has zeroes logged and a way to read them. I keep a pocket magnifying glass for sight settings. 

Boats

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #128 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Frank the ASSRA was founded in 1948 so it is really not that difficult to understand that the Traditional rules were established at that point in time. The why's home comes and reasons they chose to do what they did are well beyond me. Those born in 1917 would only have been 31 at that time and their fathers were still probably shooting starting well before World WarI. There might be some of those still around all though probably in their 90's that could actually share what actullay took place at that and why the rules were created as they are. 

JLouis

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #129 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
  " A heap of stir, and no biscuits." 

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #130 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
An FCC chairman said back in the 60’s that TV was a Vast Waste land,I wonder what he would have thought about this discussion of scope rules.  Ledball

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #131 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
" A heap of stir, and no biscuits."  

Lots of gravy though ;)

Frank
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2018 at 6:52pm by frnkeore »  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #132 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 5:26pm:
Frank the ASSRA was founded in 1948 so it is really not that difficult to understand that the Traditional rules were established at that point in time. The why's home comes and reasons they chose to do what they did are well beyond me. Those born in 1917 would only have been 31 at that time and their fathers were still probably shooting starting well before World WarI. There might be some of those still around all though probably in their 90's that could actually share what actullay took place at that and why the rules were created as they are. 

JLouis

JL, you think that the Traditional rules, were made in 1948? Not so.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #133 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
ledball wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 6:09pm:
An FCC chairman said back in the 60’s that TV was a Vast Waste land,I wonder what he would have thought about this discussion of scope rules.  Ledball

It does help hone the typing skills, not all bad, is it?

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #134 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
I have a Winchester A5 in Mann-Niedner -modified Winchester mounts that have the "click spring" as described above.  The scope is mounted on a Pope-rerifled Stevens in .32 Ideal.

Now the rifle clearly predates 1917.  From my research, it seems most likely that the scope is among those Niedner modified in early 1917.  Moreover, while the scope and rifle have obviously been together for many decades, due to an extra rear scope block screw hole, the scope is also surely at least the second one mounted on the rifle.

So, again as an example and for sake of clarification (because, yes, JLouis, I'm all for having fun, too), is this an outfit that would likely not be allowed in a Traditional match except at the Schuetzenmeister's discretion?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 
Send TopicPrint