Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Traditional rifle scope rules (Read 33260 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Traditional rifle scope rules
Reply #105 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 2:43am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 23rd, 2018 at 7:54pm:
They sure are Frank and they are also very clear on what is acceptable and what is not and it all reverts back to their Mission Statement. You mimic those who pull out one verse out of the Bible to change it's context to fit their own personal needs or to fit their own personal agenda.

JLouis

Ok JL,
Lets read the rules and comments, in the rules:
Section 1.30: Traditional Rifle Rules
Any single shot rifle, foreign or domestic, manufactured prior to 1917. Reproductions of pre-1917 patents are allowed. Examples of traditional actions include, but are not limited to, the Ballard, Remington, Sharps, Stevens, Bullard, Maynard, Sharps-Borchardt, Remington-Hepburn, Winchester, Farrow, and Wesson. Action types that do not meet the pre-1917 requirement include, but are not limited to, the Ruger, Peregrine, Miller, Falling Block Works, Hall, modern Winchester, or similar Browning and Thompson/Center. Rifles must be pre-approved by the Schuetzenmeister to qualify for Traditional class. Rifles that do not meet the Traditional Class requirements will be eligible for competition in Unlimited Class.
Technology cutoff of circa 1917 as regards patents, sights, cartridges, loading techniques, and general configuration of the Schuetzen rifle. No modern block-style or wide-bottom forearms. Old-style muzzle rest “feet” are allowed, but must be attached to the barrel. No modern Olympic-style sights, rear iron sight diopters, adjustable butt plates, plastic sight inserts, or “Bloop tubes”. No machine rests. (For clarification a machine rest is any one-piece rest that supports the rifle at two points and allows the rifle to be mechanically adjusted, incrementally, front and back, for windage and elevation.)
Any pre-1917 externally adjusted telescopic sight or faithful reproductions thereof. Lyman, Unertl, Fecker, and Litchert scopes are specifically allowed. Click adjustment allowed only on those iron sights having this feature prior to 1917, or faithful reproductions of those sights. (An example of a click-adjustable iron sight available prior to 1917 is the Lyman 103, marketed in 1915) An iris adjustable rear sight (such as a Merit Disk) is allowed.

Continued:

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #106 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 2:54am
Print Post  
The success of the Traditional Class depends upon the shooters themselves. Radical, fringe interpretations of the rules will not be productive towards preserving our Schuetzen heritage. Traditionally minded shooters have a common sense grasp of what was typical and/or appropriate for the pre-1917 competitor. It is not the intention of the Traditional Class to exclude or in any way restrict participation in the Schuetzen discipline. Since the inception of Traditional Class there have been many questions regarding what modern equipment is allowed. Currently there are no restrictions placed upon any equipment other than the rifles, sights, cartridges, and loading techniques. The interpretation of Traditional Class is largely one of aesthetics. Competition in this class is to encourage modern day riflemen to match or exceed the records set by first generation Schuetzen competitors. In this way, old-time methods and techniques are preserved and passed on. To this end, the Schuetzenmeister will be expected to provide discretion and guidance during the match concerning questionable equipment or practices.

And all you want to take out of it is that there is a exemption for modern scopes? Your not concerned about the "Spirit of the rules" or competing with the same equipment? Or caring on the the way that Schuetzen was conducted originally, as the ASSRA states, regarding the conception of this class? You just want to argue that, after all is said in the rules, that only the exemption matters? To hell with what they actually used!

Now who is just taking one thing and trying to make it say what they want. 

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #107 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 3:24am
Print Post  
Lyman, Unertl, Fecker, and Litchert scopes are specifically allowed. Click adjustment allowed only on those iron sights having this feature prior to 1917, or faithful reproductions of those sights.

Does that mean no click adjustable mounts on the Lyman, Unertl, Fecker, and Litchert scopes that are specifically allowed? Or, is the click restriction on iron sights?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #108 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 4:19am
Print Post  
Did Harry Pope ever offer clicks on his scope mounts?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #109 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 5:49am
Print Post  
I'm sure that those members lucky enough to own a pair of Pope mounts will answer this definitively; but based on very fine photos of the mounts dismounted, I'd guess that they did not have clicks.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #110 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 5:49am:
I'm sure that those members lucky enough to own a pair of Pope mounts will answer this definitively; but based on very fine photos of the mounts dismounted, I'd guess that they did not have clicks.

You're guess is correct, though I'm NOT one of those "lucky" ones.  At the time Pope was making these, nobody had ever heard of clicks, nor imagined why they would need them.  That "need" was a post-WWI idea first offered commercially by J.W. Fecker as much, I suspect, to gain a sales advantage over other makers as to serve a practical purpose.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #111 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 11:55am
Print Post  
I don’t have a dog in this fight but.

Advantage to clicks in short timed relays strapped into a coat and sling, or if they were allowed, prone with cross sticks, you can make small changes by feel. No need to come out of position.

Anything else they are a liability.  Good percentage of scopes or iron sights that click will not repeat reliably. Shooters that are click counters & don’t read the scopes dial very often make major setting mistakes. 

Boats

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #112 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 11:59am
Print Post  
With today's available replica scopes and mounts give me one reason to allow the post 1916 scopes in a pre 1917 class other than present tradition being considered traditional. Rules work when the rules are simple and correct, not very well when there is a unfounded compremise.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #113 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
I wasn't trying to make an exception to anything Frank. I am more than happy with the scope rules just as they are it is you who has an issue with them not meeting the criteria of the dead old guys and the one seeking change not me. I don't have an issue with any of the rules as far as that goes they have been and still are just fine the way that they are. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #114 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 11:55am:
I don’t have a dog in this fight but.

Advantage to clicks in short timed relays strapped into a coat and sling, or if they were allowed, prone with cross sticks, you can make small changes by feel. No need to come out of position.

Anything else they are a liability.  Good percentage of scopes or iron sights that click will not repeat reliably. Shooters that are click counters & don’t read the scopes dial very often make major setting mistakes. 

Boats

The only thing that click do for me, is in shade, I can't see the numbers and divisions, well enough to tell how much I move the turret so, counting clicks, helps there.

There is a little trick, to make most turrets click. I don't know who invented it but, it's not new.

You take a piece of spring steel, anchor it to the turret and arrange the end of it, so that it bares against the knurling on the turret.

Frank 

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #115 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 12:08pm:
I wasn't trying to make an exception to anything Frank. I am more than happy with the scope rules just as they are it is you who has an issue with them not meeting the criteria of the dead old guys and the one seeking change not me. I don't have an issue with any of the rules as far as that goes they have been and still are just fine the way that they are. 

JLouis

Great JL,
Now that's how the conversation should go Smiley

My only issue, is that the present rules don't go with the pre WWI criteria and there are scopes, now available, that do, that's all. I believe that Randy feels the same.

Randy and I have brought this up, in the past, also. I can't change the rules, only the governing body's can. I think that's all that is being ask here is for the governing body's, to take a serious look at it.

There is this scope that is fairly priced.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #116 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 12:15pm:
There is a little trick, to make most turrets click. I don't know who invented it but, it's not new.

You take a piece of spring steel, anchor it to the turret and arrange the end of it, so that it bares against the knurling on the turret.

Frank

Like this? Which I found on ebay years ago. Similar thing was done on some of the Mann-Neidner mounts, which I suspect was dreamed up by USMC armorers. 

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #117 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Nice looking scope at a fair price Frank. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #118 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Yes, Red, like that. It may even be the same one that I saw.

Frank
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2018 at 1:33pm by frnkeore »  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #119 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
those mva scopes are only 5 x  probably not competitive in asra   art

IP Logged