Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Convert a sporting RB from rimfire to centerfire? (Read 4615 times)
RBKenn
Senior Forum Member

Re: Convert a sporting RB from rimfire to centerfire?
Reply #15 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
.25 rim fire is one of the least common calibers in the RB sporting model rifles.
This one has the SS trigger and the extra sights (ES) upgrades.  A serious collector who wants the #1 sporting model in each caliber would not find an example in this chambering easily.
Changing calibers and converting to center fire will reduce the collector value of the rifle.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #16 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
RBKenn wrote on Jul 29th, 2018 at 5:22pm:
.25 rim fire is one of the least common calibers in the RB sporting model rifles.
This one has the SS trigger and the extra sights (ES) upgrades.  A serious collector who wants the #1 sporting model in each caliber would not find an example in this chambering easily.
Changing calibers and converting to center fire will reduce the collector value of the rifle.

I don't think Gunfunpow  ever mentioned what caliber RF his Roller was Ken? But looking at the hole in the end of his barrel I'd say it's definitely NOT a .25RF for sure! Maybe .38 Long RF or .44 Long RF perhaps?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Yellowhouse

Reply #17 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 11:14am
Print Post  
You wanna sell the combo and RR sights?

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
My memory is that another thread established that Gunfunpow's roller is in .44 RF, however rare or common such a chambering may be.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #19 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 1:02am
Print Post  
Yellow house, as soon as the day-glo firestick front sight and optical beam laser rear sight show up, along with the high impact plastic tactical mount (which is a bolt-on replacement for the factory rear sight base), I'll be able to do a deal for the sights. Just kidding! This roller will stay the same as it is. I'm getting the .44 rimfire shells from Dixie and will shoot it as is. I still think the idea of having it lined to 40-65 would make the rifle a lot more fun and really enjoyable. As far as this being in the general discussion or gunsmithing topics, I chose to put it here because my original post was more about "should I change this?". As opposed to "how do I change this?". Thanks again for everyone's input, I really do appreciate it. Thank you.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Glad you decided to preserve it, there are plenty of Rollers out there that can be converted or you can buy an action and build a shooter.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 8:39am
Print Post  
I, too, am glad you opted for preserving history, and predict that you'll still have plenty of shooting fun.  Best luck!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #22 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Since it's a .44RF, I almost hate to mention this. But the bore and twist are the same as Remington's .44-77SBN. So a simple rechambering to that caliber, and then rework the block to CF would do it. 
I had a #1 in .44 Long CF and sold it to a friend who did just the rechambering, and got his shooting. Both calibers used the same caliber marking on the barrel, but not sure how your RF is marked? The CF I had was simply marked ".44"

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
I'd suggest that if you go the re-chambering route, that you buy another breech in CF, rather than converting the original one.

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #24 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy, thanks for that suggestion. As noted on my other posts, I also own a 44-77 bottleneck RB. So, I don't really need another. The only reason I thought about a caliber change was due to the poor bore condition and the fact I have a lot of 40-65 brass. I'm going to try shooting it with Dixie's rimfire cases and see how that goes, rather than convert it just yet. Thanks again for everyone's input.

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #25 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Forgot to say my rimfire Remington is stamped 44 on the bottom of the barrel in front of the forearm tip. My center fire is marked 44S in the same place.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint