Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Convert a sporting RB from rimfire to centerfire? (Read 4598 times)
Gunfunpow

Convert a sporting RB from rimfire to centerfire?
Jul 12th, 2018 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
I have a nice old roller I would like to convert to 40-65. I called Curt Hardcastle and he said it could be sleeved to that caliber and converted to cf. I like this rifle because of the features and it's handy 30" barrel. I just want some opinions that I'm not  committing some sacrilege by doing so. Nice to be a member of this forum, I enjoy the knowledgeable posts, thanks.
Doug
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2018 at 1:51pm by Gunfunpow »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Convert a sporting RB from rimfire to centerfire?
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Good looking gun, and a set trigger too! I'd simply get ahold of a good gunsmith to convert the block to CF, and either rebore, reline, or rebarrel the gun, if you aren't set up to do so yourself.
I've always started with CF Rolling Blocks, but have been told by good gunsmiths that converting the block isn't hard to do.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
rebarrel it and save the old barrel to preserve the rifle.   don't fix it up just oil it and keep it looking original.  art

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
It looks like an very clean rifle, a 1-1/2, I think, and rimfire rolling blocks with single-set triggers are not seen even every year.  So have your fun shooting the gun, if and as you must; but preserve the history - meaning keep all the original parts (and pray to heaven that they never get separated from the gun).

In short, I agree very strongly with Mr. Ruggiero. 

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 7:42pm:
It looks like an very clean rifle, a 1-1/2, I think, and rimfire rolling blocks with single-set triggers are not seen even every year.  So have your fun shooting the gun, if and as you must; but preserve the history - meaning keep all the original parts (and pray to heaven that they never get separated from the gun).

In short, I agree very strongly with Mr. Ruggiero. 

Bill Lawrence

Bill, a #1 1/2 doesn't have the rebated side on the receiver. They are smooth sided receivers. That's a #1 he's got.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
art_ruggiero wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 5:17pm:
rebarrel it and save the old barrel to preserve the rifle. 

"The old barrel," once removed, is almost invariably lost somewhere down the line; when you croak, for ex.  Think anyone after that is going to worry about keeping all the parts together? First thing any dealer would do is sell the front & rear sights separately.

Therefor, if you really care about the gun's originality (bearing in mind that your set trigger makes it something quite special), simply reline or rebore it, which will be much cheaper anyway.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
A RF Rolling Block in anything but .22RF has very little value, compared to a CF Rolling Block in ANY caliber. Best to simply convert it and make it what you want with rebore or reline, or whatever. The RF barrel might have value if rebored to a better caliber.
But it is a nice gun, so I agree with Art's suggestion of not changing the exterior finish.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Sorry about my misidentification.

Nonetheless, "value" is not always just about money  Worse, there are some here who, I suspect, would take the last unmolested, still very presentable, with special features, but, alas, a rimfire example and convert it to centerfire just because they can.  Why, when there are still by comparison many American and foreign military relics, junkers, parts guns, and already-thoroughly modified examples, can't you leave those ever fewer that have yet somehow survived alone?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 9:05am
Print Post  
I appreciate originality and provenance too. But I can speak from only my own experience as it pertains to worthless calibers. I have a gorgeous Ballard #3 that sometime early on in it's life was sent to Stevens and rebored/rifled to .25 Stevens RF. It's marked under the forearm with Stevens typical markings.
I purchased the #3 because it was such a fine specimen, and the price was very cheap for a #3 this nice. But my thoughts when I bought it were, "Too bad it's a .25RF".
Now I wont ever alter it, even though it started life as a .22RF, because the Stevens rebore is also part of it's history now. But every person who looks at that gun says the same thing...."Gorgeous #3, too bad it's a .25RF!"
I'm not sure it will ever be worth anymore than the very reasonable price I paid for it, unless somebody returns it to .22RF in the future. That would be a shame, because the bore is like new also. I have 7 boxes of .25RF Stevens ammo and I shoot it on rare occasions.

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 11:31am
Print Post  
I really do appreciate originality and provenance of any collectable, be it cars, guns, toasters or fans. So, just like my vintage Westinghouse fan, I replaced the cord and cleaned and adjusted the motor. So, not technically original, but it's keeping me safely cool as I write this. I kind of view sleeving the original barrel to a more useable caliber the same. You get to enjoy it and use it well past it's time and prevent it from being a wall flower. I think Curt Hardcastle will do a fine job and it will be a nice rifle to shoot. I won't be selling it off, so I'm not concerned about it's value really. I'll leave that to my kids to figure out.  Wink Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate everyone's opinions.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
But every person who looks at that gun says the same thing...."Gorgeous #3, too bad it's a .25RF!"

Not every person, marlinguy, at least not me.  Indeed, could I afford it, I'd happily take that Ballard off your hands; I'd take the ammo, too, and add it to my stash, so that the Ballard and I could occasionally have happy target times.

Mama always said I was weird.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jul 13th, 2018 at 9:05am:

"Gorgeous #3, too bad it's a .25RF!"

Being .25RF may have had a lot to do with its state of preservation, after .25RF went out of production.  Even while it was in production, its relatively high cost--twice that of .22RF--may have discouraged excessive plinking.  I'd have bought it merely for the Stevens marking.

IP Logged

rollingblock
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
You can tell by my screen name I like rolling blocks. Curt Hardcastle has worked on several of my rifles. He is top notch and so is his work. In fact, all of my future work will go his way without reservations. You have a very nice sporting rifle, which either way you choose going with it, you will be extremely happy with it and Mr. Hardcastle's work.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Gunfunpow wrote on Jul 13th, 2018 at 11:31am:
I really do appreciate originality and provenance of any collectable, be it cars, guns, toasters or fans. So, just like my vintage Westinghouse fan, I replaced the cord and cleaned and adjusted the motor. So, not technically original, but it's keeping me safely cool as I write this. I kind of view sleeving the original barrel to a more useable caliber the same. You get to enjoy it and use it well past it's time and prevent it from being a wall flower. I think Curt Hardcastle will do a fine job and it will be a nice rifle to shoot. I won't be selling it off, so I'm not concerned about it's value really. I'll leave that to my kids to figure out.  Wink Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate everyone's opinions.

I think you've got the right attitude and the right plan!

IP Logged

PetahW

Reply #14 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Gunfunpow wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 12:57pm:

I have a nice old roller I would like to convert to 40-65. I called Curt Hardcastle and he said it could be sleeved to that caliber and converted to cf.

IMO, this thread would be better located in our gunsmithing section.

I've converted a few RF rolling blocks to CF, and found it to be a fairly simple 30min job.

First, the breechface must be marked at the bore C/L, which I do via dropping a black Sharpie downbore against the closed breechblock.

Once that's established, remove the breechblock from the action and the firing pin from the breechblock.

Using a 1/16" sacrificial drillbit, drill through the face of the breechblock at the marked spot from the front, ensuring the resulting hole will be perpendicular to the breechface in all directions.

Grind/file off/away the old RF firing pin tip from the face of the firing pin body, taking care to not cut/grind into the face of the old FP.

Reinstall the altered firing pin back into it's breechblock recess & clamp it from moving rearward in the recess.

Using the same sacrificial 1/16" drillbit used to drill the CF firing pin hole in the breechface, drill through the new FP hole, into the now flat face of the firing pin just enough to mark it.

Remove the altered RF firing pin from the breechblock and use that same 1/16" drillbit to deepen the hole in the now flat face of the FP to about 1/8" or so.

Make the new CF firing pin from the shank of that same sacrificial drillbit, grinding it to a length of about 1".

Try-fit the new FP tip into the body of the FP, then install the FP to check the protrusion of the new FP tip when it's held in the forward/fired position.

Mark the body of the new FP tip at about 1/16" from where it protrudes from the breechface, remove the new FP & grind it from the forward tip, back to the mark. 

(If the shank is too short to protrude, use a 2nd 1/16" drillbit shank to make a 2nd/longer FP tip)

Once the rough length is determined, the new FP tip can be either soldered or epoxied into the face of the breechblock.

The tip of the new FP can be shortened to the proper protrusion, then the roughness polished off the new FP tip.

I epoxy the new FP tip into the body of the FP, so I can easily heat the FP to melt the epoxy & redux the FP tip as req'd.

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2018 at 10:01pm by PetahW »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint