Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A pair of Stevens rifles (Read 4113 times)
Spud
Senior Forum Member

A pair of Stevens rifles
Jul 8th, 2018 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Here are a couple of Stevens rifles. The top is a 44 1/2 (45) in .22 LR with a few bells & whistles, including a 28" full oct barrel. Fitted with a Fecker 10X. I've owned it for about 25 years and it shoots beautifully. Bottom one is a standard 44 in .25/20 SS with a perfect bore. When I found it the chamber had been filled with lead (?) & that had probably saved it from being shot with BP ammunition. Removing that lead plug was a real process but worth it in the long run.
It's nice to find Stevens with most of the CC on the actions, I really like that wavy pattern. What's the best method to protect the CC long term?
Spud.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Re: A pair of Stevens rifles
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Very nice pair of rifles, thanks for sharing. Curious though, what process did you use to remove the lead, I'm thinking a bore size rod and a hammer😨.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Spud wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 12:24am:
What's the best method to protect the CC long term?

Some apply wax, after degreasing the metal. Maybe more important is what NOT to do, handling it unnecessarily, & especially, wiping it frequently with an oily (& probably dirty) rag.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Nice rifles, thanks for the pic.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Beautiful rifles, and the full octagon is pretty rare on any Stevens single shot!
I wax my color cased receivers to protect them. I always use a soft cloth to wipe them down, and treat the cloth with Old West Snake Oil before wiping metal and wood with the cloth. Been using OWSO for decades on all my old guns and I love the stuff.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Vall, Do you put Old West Snake Oil on scopes?  I was told by Wally Siebert to never put any oil on my scopes as it always finds its way inside.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 7:50pm:
Vall, Do you put Old West Snake Oil on scopes?  I was told by Wally Siebert to never put any oil on my scopes as it always finds its way inside.

I've been wiping my guns metal, wood, and scopes with OWSO for decades Bob! No problems, but I do not get them oily looking or feeling either! I keep a terrycloth rag in a big ziplock bag and add a few drops to the rag each time I use it. The rag is NEVER damp, just slightly oily feeling, and enough to get rid of salty fingerprints, or smudges and dirt. 
I've seen guys slather it on, and leave their guns slippery with it! My first bottle is still being used, and almost gone after maybe 25 years? Just received my 2nd bottle for when it runs out. I think they're 8 oz. so I'm sure not over applying it!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 9:11pm
Print Post  

If he said that, it was with the assumption that you were the kind of idiot who'd SLATHER it on, not apply it with care & restraint.  And he was right, in that most users (not necessarily you) can't be trusted not to overdo it. 

Steel scope tubes, being a ferrous metal, require some protection from moisture & rust.  No scope of mine (some I've had for 50 yrs) has ever been damaged by a judicious application of a petroleum-based rust-preventative.  (LPS 2 is my personal favorite, but there are others just as good.)

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Nice pair of Stevens. Not sure if I've have or have ever seen a 44 1/2 with a full octogan barrel. I like Renisance wax on any metal or if you prefer oil, CLP Collector.

IP Logged

Del J
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 12:28am
Print Post  
Great looking rifles.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 7:11am
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 11:28pm:
Not sure if I've have or have ever seen a 44 1/2 with a full octogan barrel.

Certainly uncommon (since there was a small charge for ordering that configuration), but I have one 44-1/2 & one 44 with full octagons, both .22RFs.

IP Logged

oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Very nice looking Stevens rifles!
Thanks for sharing

I regards to the OWSO, I agree with Vall, just enough (very little) is the correct amount...nothing worse than going to a show and seeing a row of rifles dripping with the stuff....can't even pick them up

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
oodmoff wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 7:17pm:
...nothing worse than going to a show and seeing a row of rifles dripping with the stuff....

One thing is worse (and I've seen it a hundred times):  the dealers who wipe down their guns, maybe high finish ones, with a rag that looks like it has been used to clean up the floor of a garage after an oil change.   

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 8:37pm:

I've been wiping my guns metal, wood, and scopes with OWSO for decades Bob! No problems, but I do not get them oily looking or feeling either! I keep a terrycloth rag in a big ziplock bag and add a few drops to the rag each time I use it. The rag is NEVER damp, just slightly oily feeling, and enough to get rid of salty fingerprints, or smudges and dirt. 
I've seen guys slather it on, and leave their guns slippery with it! My first bottle is still being used, and almost gone after maybe 25 years? Just received my 2nd bottle for when it runs out. I think they're 8 oz. so I'm sure not over applying it!

Thanks Vall.  He was talking about petroleum I think.  I'll get some and try it. I don't kn ow why anyone would have their guns dripping.  Seems like that would rot the wood.  Embarrassed

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
I'm thinking the full octogon barrel was more common on 44's than 44 1/2's but scarce on both. I may have a 44 1/2 full octogon but would have to look to be sure.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint