Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: Shooting glasses. (Read 6466 times)
BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Shooting glasses.
Jun 29th, 2018 at 2:10am
Print Post  
Joe,

I always liked the Ray-Ban Outdoorsman with the cable temples. The old RX frames are a tad heavier and have a better grip on the lenses, but I don't know if the RX frames were ever brought back into production or not.
I also use the Ray-Ban frame with clear lenses in the shop for safety glasses.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 3:32am
Print Post  
Joe,

Here's a link to a pic of the Ray-Ban Outdoorsman frame showing the cable temples. They are solid wire going straight back from the hinge, and then become flexible where they wrap around the ears so you can shape the curved part for a comfortable personal fit, and do a lot better job of keeping the glasses on your head than the standard temples do. 
They never were cheap, and I'm glad I bought extra frames and temples back when they were a lot less expensive, and the dollar was worth a hell of a lot more.    Wink

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

P1

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 6:12am
Print Post  
I use Knobloc adjustable type with the right lens set for the front sight distance and the left for long distance. You are always looking through the center of the lens no matter how your head is tipped.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 7:31am
Print Post  
P1 wrote on Jun 29th, 2018 at 6:12am:
I use Knobloc adjustable type with the right lens set for the front sight distance and the left for long distance. You are always looking through the center of the lens no matter how your head is tipped.

Yes, optically superior arrangement.   I have 3 interchangeable right-eye lenses, one for pistol, one for open irons, and one for peep sights.  On the left, a short-focal length lens to read the sight graduations.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 7:55am
Print Post  
I have used Junkers for forty years. I just have to tell the optician not to straighten them out when I have the lens replaced. Once they thought the frames were bent.

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 9:32am
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jun 29th, 2018 at 2:10am:
Joe,

I always liked the Ray-Ban Outdoorsman with the cable temples. The old RX frames are a tad heavier and have a better grip on the lenses, but I don't know if the RX frames were ever brought back into production or not.
I also use the Ray-Ban frame with clear lenses in the shop for safety glasses.

They are making the prescription lenses again, but they have pretty limited sphere's , but did tell me that I could go to Lense crafters to have them put lenses with the sphere my prescription calls for. Only problem is the nearest Lense Crafters is a little over 150 miles away.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
My prescription glasses are pretty much the same as Kurt's but I also have to specificaly ask for the cables and the frame design. If one does a internet search for eye glass frames you can generally find exactly what you are looking for and your optometrist will say are not available. There is a huge profit to be made in the frames so they always tend to push you in that direction if you do not demand what it is that you want. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
I use Vuarnets with the nautilux lenses.
They are a bit dated in appearance, but those lenses cut thru glare like you wouldn't believe.
They are the only thing with a designers name I own, but worth the extra cost.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 4:00pm
Print Post  

Those are neat old gasses Kurt.  For me the lenses are to far apart. My heads like a pumpkin with two beady eyes close together in the middle.  The frames get in my vision with the wide lenses. 

I like the look of the Ray Ban Blaze glasses but think prescription version is not available. 

Joe. 

[/quote]
The Junkers frames can be bent to move the right lens so that your eye is looking threw the center. The lens can be rotated to adjust for astigmatism.

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

Jimofatl

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
You really need to look at Decot Sports Glasses. They are very knowledgeable and have great customer service for the shooter...............

IP Logged

UtahDave
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
A good link for shooting optometrists is 

Dr Wong is highly regarded.   

Dave

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Joe,

Back in the good ole' days, Ray-Bans were offered in three frame widths (maybe more) so it was easy to get a size to fit the width of your head. 
With the standard Aviator frame (instead of the Outdoorsman), you can bend the short bar of the frame between the lenses upward toward the longer top cross bar to swing the bottom of the lenses in closer together.
Here's a pic of the standard Aviator frame:

« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2018 at 9:02pm by BP »  

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
I wore the shooter’s style Aviators with the biggest lens size and even had a pair of brown sunglasses made with my progressive lenses.  I liked them so much I went to my optician (a shooter, BTW) and had him help me pick out the biggest set of “regular” frames he had... most like my Aviators.  He installed progressive, transition (darkening) scratch- and impact resistant lenses and I put them on when I get up and take them off when I go to bed. Problem solved!  Cool

Froggie

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Are they going to remove the cataract, or do a lens replacement? I got both lenses replaced, and my eyes are quite good. I still need cheaters in poor light, or small print, but no restrictions on the driver's licence and I can almost see iron sights again. Barrel sights that is. Peeps are ok.

IP Logged

P1

Reply #14 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 6:18am
Print Post  
The trouble with sunglasses style shooting glasses is for rifle shooting it is hard to align he sights your eye and the spot where the prescription is. They work for shotgun and handgun much better. With a rifle you want to bring the gun to your eye, not bring the eye to the gun. Important for maintaining balance.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint