Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: Shooting glasses. (Read 6485 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Shooting glasses.
Reply #15 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 29th, 2018 at 11:35pm:
Not sure.  They told me it's not bad enough yet. 2.5 on a scale of 4.  That's what he said.  Told me my sight will be perfect after, so, no corrective lens necessary. Told me not to spend a lot of money on new glasses. Yeah right, lol.

Joe. 

That is an insurance issue.  Until your vision deteriorates to a certain point, insurance won't pay. 

I had my right eye left a little near sighted so I could see overhead without bi and tri focal lens.  The left was 20/20.  Worked out great for shooting with focus on the front sight.  Amazingly, the two eyes together could see things that neither could see by itself.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

P1

Reply #16 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Back to the discussion of offhand. Your balanced hold should have the gun in a position where there is minimum movement of the head to align with the sights. When you tip your head you tip your ear and it effects the balance. One of the basics.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Joe I have astigmatism and was wearing trifocals. When I had my cataracts removed I also had the corrective lenses installed for a wee bit more. Other than the need to use glasses for up close reading beyond it is like having the eyes of an Eagle. I take them off for Irons and have I never before been able to see so well before. If memory serves me right the lenses were $200.00 per eye and well worth the money spent and would do it again. BobZ you are indeed correct about the insurance and was told I would have to wait until they got allot worse. So what I did was to go directly to the eye surgeon and it was approved on my first visit and very quickly scheduled.

JLouis
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2018 at 6:32pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
John is correct. The secret is to have an eye doctor- opthamologist that does eye surgery make the call. If you wait along with an optometrist (not a doctor), you are dealing with a whole different set of rules.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
John, That is what I was told by my surgeon, but that was 25 years ago. The regs may have changed some by now.  I had early onset which usually are fast, thick and heavy.  I didn't have to go through the 2 or 3 decade deterioration most experience. Less than a year I went from crystal clear to not being able tell if a traffic light was red or green!  Shocked

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #20 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 5:56am
Print Post  
From a slightly different perspective, I find glasses most needed to spot the point of impact in a variety of lighting conditions. Especially challenging when shooting .22LR at 200 yds.
Decot met my needs. I sent them a target and they provided a lens color that provided the most defined visual on the ASSRA orange/red target. 
Some shooters use a red filter with their spotting scopes, but I feel that the colored shooting glasses give me an extra edge, when taking the shot - especially in mirage conditions.

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

Jimofatl

Reply #21 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Joe,

I fought seeing targets for quite awhile and my optometrist kept telling me my cataracts were not bad enough. I finally went to an ophthalmologist and he told me I really needed my cataracts removed, which I did. What a difference it made. I could actually see the bark on trees when I left his office. Everything was much brighter compared to my other eye until I got it done.
Moral of the story..... my optometrist was selling me glasses.
Go to an ophthalmologist for an honest opinion.................
Jim

IP Logged

oldman46
Senior Forum Member

Reply #22 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Do not get plastic lenses regardless what they say about scratch resistance. Our company used to furnish one free pair of safety glasses per year. The one pair I had with the plastic lenses scratches so bad in 6 months was like walking around in fog. Get the tempered glass ones. I've even been wearing the tempered glass ones for years and even though I'm retired always specify the tempered glass lenses. Saved my eyesight on more than one occasion both when I worked and being retired. Don't know the price difference between plastic or tempered glass but the latter is worth the extra $$$ in my book. Frank

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
The ophthalmologist I used when living in Western WA told me I had Macular Pucker and that he wanted me to come in once a month so he could monitor it. At 225.00 a month I wouldn't do it. He sent me a letter saying he would no longer help me with my eyes.  My new ophthalmologist here in Idaho Falls says my eyes are healthy with no sign of macular degeneration or pucker.  It pays to get a second opinion

Joe, do you know what they call the guy who graduates last in his ophthalmology class?

An ophthalmologist.

Did you get the anti-glare coating on those plastic lenses?

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

powderman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #24 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
I too had a preference for the tempered glass safety lenses until one day at work the end of a cable hit one of the lenses and the lens broke into 5 or 6 jagged pieces. Luck was with me and I was cut just under under the eye and not the eye itself. I think a plastic safety lens would not have broke like that. The tempered glass lenses are shatter resistant, not shatterproof.

Regards,
Powderman

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
oldman46,

I agree about the cloud that quickly develops on plastic lens in a very short time, and found that out after using plastic lenses in my safety glasses while working in the buffing/belt sanding room.
No more plastic lenses for me.

If there is a chance of heavy impact like powderman describes, then a face shield should be worn in front of a pair of glasses.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
I have been using plastic lens for at least 20 years + without any of the issues mentioned.  I always have them do all the coatings. I started when  they said the tempering in glass goes away in a year or so.  I have used them as safety glasses in construction and shooting.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Same here BobZ with no issue's. Over the counter safety glasses on the other hand are not the same and useless. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

P1

Reply #28 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 6:04am
Print Post  
As stated earlier plastic transmits less light than glass. If your eyes are sensitive it can make a difference in some light conditions. I always use glass for this reason, and I can’t cover one eye or the pupil in the other eye will open too much. That Russian book spoken of in the offhand discussions covers this effect.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint