Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How many put in the effort to improve offhand? (Read 4333 times)
svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: How many put in the effort to improve offhand?
Reply #15 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
JS47 wrote on Jun 28th, 2018 at 8:25pm:

I'm in the same boat. 71 in October. I shoot rimfire off my front porch with a CPA 52. On a good day I can hit my 6" gong at 100 yds more often that not. What's scary is how fast I'm going down hill physically in spite of weight lifting etc. The time to get a grip on it is going by pretty fast. Huh

JS

The speed only gets faster as you go down the actuarial slope which just keeps getting steeper. I can sense the increase in speed as I approach 80. The good news is that once you get far enough along on the actuarial tables the competition lessens. 

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
CW wrote on Jun 28th, 2018 at 5:37pm:
Here you go... It is in the Schuetzen section.
You have all of each month and the first week into the next month to post a picture of the targets. So you have plenty of time for June still.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

It is a match ALL about getting you out to shoot and NOT about rules.
So Go Shoot! Smiley

Thanks CW, RF or CF OK?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
JS47 wrote on Jun 28th, 2018 at 8:25pm:

I'm in the same boat. 71 in October. I shoot rimfire off my front porch with a CPA 52 and an MVA B5 or aperture sights. On a good day I can hit my 6" gong at 100 yds more often than not. What's scary is how fast I'm going down hill physically in spite of weight lifting etc. The time to get a grip on it is going by pretty fast. Huh  One of the main reasons I decided to spend the winter in AZ is so that I can participate in some of the sanctioned matches before I get to the point that I forget why I'm at a shooting range.

JS

I think the problem is retiring  Huh  My grand dad was milking 80 head and irrigating an 80 acre farm 2 weeks before he passed away from heat stroke at 89. He was 87 the last time I help him buck hay bales  Shocked  But he didn't do much shooting except for hunting season occasionally.  Cry

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Yes, rim fire or center fire with leading edge scoring. Score your own.
They are giving away a new diesel truck Roll Eyes
Grin

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
CW wrote on Jun 28th, 2018 at 10:45pm:
Grin

I'll get a parking spot ready  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 1:35am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jun 28th, 2018 at 11:46pm:
CW wrote on Jun 28th, 2018 at 10:45pm:
Grin

I'll get a parking spot ready  Roll Eyes

Does it leak like a Harley?     Grin

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Marlene
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Putting effort in offhand is new to me, in my late forties. I've done a bunch of bench shooting both with modern guns and singleshots with cast bullets. I like long distance. I've also been (to varying degrees over time) serious about pistol shooting, which seems more relevant experience than rifles from the bench.

I decided that offhand rifle was something I wanted to be better at, and when threads on the subject come up here, I read them closely. I get to shoot on a 50 yard range pretty regularly, but less so at longer distances. Shorter range is excellent practice for holding but very different for my eyes with iron sights. I might feel like that difference is less as I get better, or I might have to give up and stick to scopes. I've recently had to give up on older style open sights and limit myself to peeps and only the most square-edged modern opens.

I should dry fire more. There are too many things I want to do in this life.

I decided, a dozen years ago, that I wanted to get good at pistol shooting and I managed to. Now, I've decided the same with offhand rifle and I'm working on it.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Some get lucky and can still see them at 70, some don't.   Undecided  Just like my mom's aunts living to 104 and 105, some don't make 50  Cry

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Actually genes, but they are the luck of the draw  Grin  My great granddaddy that died in 1927 at 98 when the average was 49.  Now the average is 75.  Suppose I'll make 150?  Huh 

EDIT: BTW, he was almost blind.. He could just tell day from night.  Suppose that is why I had early cataracts?    Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint