Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How many put in the effort to improve offhand? (Read 4328 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

How many put in the effort to improve offhand?
Jun 27th, 2018 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
We have a thread about how to improve, but how many are actually dedicated enough to do it?

I got close to what I call automatic trigger control at one point.  By that I mean when the cross-hairs are in the 24 ring or better the gun goes bang.   But I never practiced 6 or 7 days a week. The best I ever shot as I recall was a 233 buried in the 100 shot targets. I shot a lot of those close to 2100, but never consistently  over 2100. I could call my shots within a point.   

After having rotary cuff surgery and not having shot for at least 8 months, I found my offhand had not deteriorated.  I was quite surprised.  So I practiced less  Huh

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: How many put in the effort to improve offhand?
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
I will have to start practicing less then too Bob.   

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
I feel that the best process for improving Offhand scores is to ONLY shoot offhand. Bench teaches you to be able to wait for everything to be absolutely perfect before you even think about letting the shot go. Lets think about Bench, if your barrel is warm the breach seated bullet is sitting in a warm environment, the lube is changing, condition change. You are completely  rested and well in Oxygen. Offhand if you hold too long you are out of Oxygen from over holding. You now WANT that shot fired. The best thing to do now is shoot that shot into the dirt, not your Target. The hardest thing I have ever had to do is put the Rifle down and breath. Still have a warmed up bullet and lube in the Rifle. Better to shoot it into the dirt. The best thing is, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and so on.
Just my thought. HTH Regards, FITZ. OLD TUCK. Smiley

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Full time to maintain once you get there.  It's a lot easier to keep them all in the red on the iron target than the scope target, Joe.  Grin

Being raised on the farm and working construction I was always in good enuf shape to shoot the hundred shot and a few other offhand matches if I had enough time in  a day. And I can hold center on the 24, 25 ring for several seconds, but the trigger never seems to work  Cry Cry  I hate it when that happens.   Embarrassed  I think having too much of life getting in the way of consistent practice  everyday is why I gave it up when I was close, plus this is supposed to be fun.   Cheesy  Not work. 

I'd never enter a $100 match, I'd get too nervous if I got close.  One day I shot a 25, a 24, a 23, another 24 and another 25 in open relay at the Icicle .22 RF at Tacoma. I thought I hope somebody notices I'm shooting offhand  Undecided because they will never believe it. I asked someone on the next bench to be sure.  I returned to shooting and shot around the edge of the paper  Huh

You got it Fitz, practice practice, practice.  Too much work  Undecided

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
At age 65, my reaction time is not nearly what it was when I was in my 30s and 40s. I can still hold but I cannot get the shot off like I used to. So as we get older one of the things we need to focus on is reaction time. Get the shot off in that "calm" period that occurs in the first five seconds of your hold.
My range is about three miles from my home, so weather and schedule permitting, I can usually get to the range about five times per week. I usually shoot 25 shots offhand per session. I would shoot more but then I have to cast more. In order to maximize shooting and minimize time spent casting I do a lot more rimfire practice now. However, there is no perfect substitute for centerfire practice, the recoil is different and you need to hold that centerfire rifle tighter to control the recoil.
Rimfire practice is still good for the hold, reaction time, endurance building, etc.
Joe S

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 12:16am
Print Post  
My ranges are all about 20 miles and 35 minutes to an hour of more depending on traffic.

I did shoot an air rifle a little, but it is illegal to even shoot a BB gun here  Huh

When some of the neighbors at range in Tacoma said someone was shooting after hours we tracked it down to an air rifle.  It sounded just like a .22.  Since BB guns are illegal I thought it best not to be shooting something people would mistake for a .22.  One neighbor called my wife to complain about me shooting in the back yard when there was highway work in the area.  Grin  all bangs are guns, don't cha know?

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
OLD TUCK wrote on Jun 27th, 2018 at 8:04pm:
I feel that the best process for improving Offhand scores is to ONLY shoot offhand. ...Regards, FITZ. OLD TUCK. Smiley

That is WHY I shoot OH, almost exclusively now.  At 71 someday I'll get a grip on it.  Too bad the OH matches are at 200.  Lots of us have only 100 yard ranges on which to practice.  I feel the same way about scopes - IRON sights ONLY!  Yes, I've now put a few scopes on rifles but only because there are too few iron-sights-only matches.
<<end of rant>>

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Still prefer and mostly use irons, but have ended up with a few old Weaver K-1 scopes for informal offhand practice at times on limited 100yd ranges.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
I started shooting irons for most matches including the 100 shot and smallbore silhouettes. Eyes changed my mind in the scope question  Cry  I still remember that spring morning at Springfield when that bead on a post didn't look too against the red irons target    Cry

If you guys find the Fountain of Youth and pass some of that water around there could be a lot more irons and offhand matches like there used to be  Cheesy

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
To answer the opening question....
Yes, I practice offhand. That is the only way to win or place. And I care, so I make time.

Limited by 100y only? 
In my opinion, distance has nothing to do with getting better. 99% of getting good is brain and muscle memory. In other words, training until you can't get it wrong. 

Light free weights are good too, Especially as we seniors age! 
How bad do you want it?  It is a choice.

Air Arms TX-200 outside the shop at 20 yards. 
50 meters 22rf on scale paper chickens.
100yards on 100 yard 25 ring target with both RF and CF.

Here is one way to get yourself to shoot more...
The WSU forum has a "for fun offhand match" 100y, 25ring, any rifle, any sight, any chambering- internet match. Two 10 shot targets.  It is drop in so, start any month.
No rules - just your honor. Photograph your targets and post them.

Turn out has been small - odd - anyone can do it.
For added fun, post the picture of your rifle too.  It is fun to see the rifles people use! Almost like being there.. Roll Eyes

Okay - shameless offhand shooting promotion over.   Cool
-CW

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Myself I never practiced Offhand and just went out and shot the matches. My goals were always related to bench but I still won a few and placed in the top three in both irons and scope at the regionals. Myself I was always just quite comfortable shooting offhand but also not something I wanted to excel in do to only having one match a year to shoot. All though I did shoot small bore sillywets for a few years and I did practice a bit for competing in it. Also shot the 100 shot gallery matches while they lasted for about four years but it too was only a once yearly event. For some reason offhand just wasn't that popular here when I started shooting Schuetzen some seventeen years back.

JLouis
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2018 at 4:13pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
CW, I looked around over there a bit but did not find for fun offhand match.  Do you have a link.  Google didn't find it either.

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Here you go... It is in the Schuetzen section.
You have all of each month and the first week into the next month to post a picture of the targets. So you have plenty of time for June still.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

It is a match ALL about getting you out to shoot and NOT about rules.
So Go Shoot! Smiley

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
WOO HOO!   Cheesy Grin Grin Grin
Somehow in there is an oxymoron if ever there was one! 

J Lewis wrote: "For some reason offhand just wasn't that popular here when I started shooting Schuetzen some seventeen years back."

Yes, for some people, getting them to shoot offhand is much like getting a little kid to eat brussels sprouts!

-CW 

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Cat_Whisperer wrote on Jun 28th, 2018 at 2:29pm:
OLD TUCK wrote on Jun 27th, 2018 at 8:04pm:
I feel that the best process for improving Offhand scores is to ONLY shoot offhand. ...Regards, FITZ. OLD TUCK. Smiley

That is WHY I shoot OH, almost exclusively now.  At 71 someday I'll get a grip on it.  Too bad the OH matches are at 200.  Lots of us have only 100 yard ranges on which to practice.  I feel the same way about scopes - IRON sights ONLY!  Yes, I've now put a few scopes on rifles but only because there are too few iron-sights-only matches.
<<end of rant>>

I'm in the same boat. 71 in October. I shoot rimfire off my front porch with a CPA 52 and an MVA B5 or aperture sights. On a good day I can hit my 6" gong at 100 yds more often than not. What's scary is how fast I'm going down hill physically in spite of weight lifting etc. The time to get a grip on it is going by pretty fast. Huh  One of the main reasons I decided to spend the winter in AZ is so that I can participate in some of the sanctioned matches before I get to the point that I forget why I'm at a shooting range.

JS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint